California: Medical Marijuana Dispensaries OK'd In Palm Springs Commercial Zones

Jacob Redmond

The city currently allows for up to four dispensaries. The amended ordinance would allow the cultivation of the plants in a location separate from where the product is actually sold. Cultivation would still have to occur in industrial zones.

Also, the shops would no longer have to be at least 500 feet from residential zones. Under the new recommendations, they could be as close as 250 feet from homes. And the dispensaries must be at least 250 feet from Palm Canyon Drive.

"I think what we've done so far has been really innovative, but I think we have some more work to do," said Ginny Foat, a councilwoman, adding the city ought to consider issuing another license for fifth medical marijuana dispensary.

"I think it's very reasonable," Foat said of the ordinance at Wednesday's council meeting.

"I think the boundaries are very reasonable," she added, citing no "big crime problem."

Desert Hot Springs allows three dispensaries, while Indio is exploring the idea of allowing dispensaries. Cathedral City has approved one dispensary permit, but the shop has yet to open.

14007.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Medical pot shops OK'd in Palm Springs commercial zones
Author: Skip Descant
Photo Credit: The Desert Sun
Website: The Desert Sun | Palm Springs and Coachella Valley news | DesertSun.com

Back
Top Bottom