California Town Wants To Tax Marijuana Grown At Home

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
After a Rancho Cordova woman complained last year about the skunky smell of pot being grown by a medical marijuana-using neighbor, one City Council member suggested a ban on residential pot cultivation.

That proposal went nowhere. But now Rancho Cordova is asking voters to make the city the first in California to approve a tax on home-grown pot for personal use.

Advocates for medical marijuana and a state initiative to legalize pot for recreational use say the proposed tax is so prohibitive that virtually no one could afford to grow marijuana in the Sacramento County city.

The city's Personal Cannabis Cultivation Tax measure on the Nov. 2 ballot would impose an annual tax of $600 per square foot on indoor marijuana cultivation of up to and including 25 square feet, and a $900-per-square-foot tax for anything larger.

The tax, which makes no distinction between medical and recreational cultivation, would cost a resident $15,000 a year if he or she cultivates pot in a 5-foot-by-5-foot growing space indoors. The measure would allow the city to lower the tax.

The tax proposal is drawing the ire of Don Duncan, California director of Americans for Safe Access, an advocacy group for medical marijuana.

"I think that will have the effect of essentially banning legal cultivation," Duncan said. "I don't know anyone who is prepared to pay $600 a square foot."

Rancho Cordova Mayor Ken Cooley said the city is protecting its interests should California voters approve Proposition 19. The state initiative, also on the Nov. 2 ballot, would legalize recreational marijuana use for adults over 21, allow small residential cultivation and permit cities to tax retail pot sales.

Cooley said the measure – which would impose a lower tax on outdoor growing – was a response to concerns "about problems caused in neighborhoods by growing marijuana."

"It just raised the issue for us that, as we comply with state law, we keep on top of quality of life issues," the mayor said.

Neighborhood services manager Kerry Simpson said code enforcement officers have uncovered a few cases of altered circuit boxes and fire hazards from dangerous wiring for residential pot cultivation.

Simpson said the city recently responded to residents complaining about mold in a rental unit.

"Lo and behold, they were causing it themselves because they had a (marijuana) grow in the bedroom," she said.

Dale Gieringer, the California director for National Organization for Reform of Marijuana Laws, said he opposes any tax on medical pot growers but could envision a permit and modest fees for recreational cultivation.

Nevertheless, Gieringer said, the Rancho Cordova cultivation tax is likely an "unconstitutional" and "punitive" measure to keep people from growing pot.

"At that level, the city would collect no money," Gieringer said. "Nobody would pay that tax. It's a punitive tax. And I think it would be thrown out by the courts."

Separate from its ballot measure, Rancho Cordova passed an ordinance declaring outdoor pot cultivation exceeding 25 square feet an unlawful "public nuisance." The ordinance also requires special permits for any indoor grows above 25 square feet.

Rancho Cordova currently bans medical marijuana dispensaries. It has placed a second measure on the November ballot to impose a gross receipts tax of 12 percent to 15 percent on pot sales if any pot stores are allowed to open in the city in the future.

In nearby Sacramento, voters will consider a local measure to levy a gross receipts tax of 2 percent to 4 percent on some 39 existing medical pot dispensaries and impose a tax of 5 percent to 10 percent on new retail pot outlets if Proposition 19 passes.

Cooley said Rancho Cordova has no interest in allowing dispensaries but wanted a pot business tax in place should the courts force the city to accept the establishments.

Council member Dan Skoglund, who cast the only dissenting vote on pot business and cultivation taxes, said the ballot measures falsely suggest the city supports Proposition 19 or marijuana use.

"My vision of an all-American city is not to have a dispensary storefront," Skoglund said. He added: "How are you going to sell your house when you're overlooking the neighbor's (pot) garden?"

Although other cities have targeted marijuana businesses and commercial cultivators for taxes, Rancho Cordova is the first to look at people who may grow pot for themselves.

That infuriates Dr. Phillip Denney, a Carmichael physician who works with medical-marijuana patients, including several from the city.

"I see this as a very thinly veiled threat to the hard-won right of people to use cannabis as medicine," Denney said.

But Rancho Cordova spokeswoman Nancy Pearl said the cultivation tax seeks to pay for city code enforcement and protection against "general threats to the neighborhood" from potential crime, traffic, stench or other nuisances.

"Our building and safety people and police and fire will have to work more to protect the community," Pearl said. "And there are costs associated with that."

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: sacbee.com
Author: Peter Hecht
Copyright: 2010 The Sacramento Bee
Website: California town wants to tax marijuana grown at home - Sacramento Living - Sacramento Food and Wine, Home, Health | Sacramento Bee

PLEEZZZEEEEE...I don't buy the "loss of home value" and the cheapining of the city should PPL gro at home.
Electricians and professionals can properly equip homes to handle their growd should MJ become legal. I don't buy a "danger" to neighborhoods because of faulty builds. The bigger danger is the ARMED DRUG DEALERS.
A few are Grasping at straws in order to further personal agendas and impose thier will on the people. Let Cali vote and see what the people say.
I do not favor prop 19 for just these reasons...but I live in ALaska so have little 2 say. I favor a better bit of legislation that decrimializes and allows individual privacy in their homes. I favor an even and no less restrictive policy than applies to alcohol or tobacco. I hope this is the first approach the feds take....but the facts are undeniable...they will not because they own the patent (dept of HSS) and pharma will make it, sell it, control it. This occured in 2003 so......thanks (NOT) GW.

they want to continue to treat cannabis like a vile substance even after it's illegal. One of the main benefits of re-legalization is the blow that it will deal to the black market. It seems like these law makers are doing all they can to keep the black market alive.

Well when prop 19 passes it will not matter what you want. It will be up to the prohibitionist who will have the power to tax and regulate as they see fit. So like I have said... prop 19 is a no vote for me as well as not the right bill for california at this time. Alot of work needs to be done. Wait until your neighbor gets a tax credit for turning you in for not paying your taxes on your legal home grow....LOL.

One of the main benefits of re-legalization is the blow that it will deal to the black market. It seems like these law makers are doing all they can to keep the black market alive.

Exactly:thumb:

Large prison populations equal more government control and allow room for political manipulation of the masses. Label everyone a criminal and when one needs to raise taxes or scare the shit outta voters all one must do is come up with catchy slogans like "tuff on crime," or "revolving door," and one of my favorites "if we don't do something, thousands of criminals may be released into your neighborhoods."

If you live in CA, just vote people. Even if you are against prop 19 (although i'm very suspicious of the motives for a no vote) make your voice heard in every election and get piece of shit politicians like Mayor Ken Cooley outta office. November will be a good time to send these bitches packing for the hills.

:tokin:
"You can't fool all of the people all of the time."

LOL... if you think prisons population will not grow with the passage of prop 19 I have some ocean front property in AZ to sell you. The record numbers of people being aressted for marijuana is for possesion of over an oz... well when this new law passes it is believed it will increase as people will believe it is a free for all. Now that may be speculation... but fact is.... people will still go to jail for carying more than an oz.

I wish the offical's would just take a chill pill, these whiny people. Would someone please start taxing the liq. stores $15.000. a year????

How about the DUI driver on his forth term still driving, should we charge the judge a freaking tax of $15.000. each head he let's drive more than once drunk????

These taxation laws, the COOL CALIFORNIA, the state USED to be, sucks with all these str8 lace closet case conservatives, and these fake family greedy values.

Well, the tax on home growers is an outright lie and attack and I really don't see it ever holding, nor being enforced except the few fools that may get busted. I don't think they will run after each and every one plant grower.....but they really need to back off and chill and allow the MJ laws to first be legal....then draw up some plans if it goes crazy....but at least wait and see in Nov. into the new year before throwing all these laws on people.

I wish the offical's would just take a chill pill, these whiny people. Would someone please start taxing the liq. stores $15.000. a year????

How about the DUI driver on his forth term still driving, should we charge the judge a freaking tax of $15.000. each head he let's drive more than once drunk????

These taxation laws, the COOL CALIFORNIA, the state USED to be, sucks with all these str8 lace closet case conservatives, and these fake family greedy values.

Well, the tax on home growers is an outright lie and attack and I really don't see it ever holding, nor being enforced except the few fools that may get busted. I don't think they will run after each and every one plant grower.....but they really need to back off and chill and allow the MJ laws to first be legal....then draw up some plans if it goes crazy....but at least wait and see in Nov. into the new year before throwing all these laws on people.

LOL... last time I checked... california was a welfare state... oh I mean democratic ran state.... just because we have a republican gov does not mean it is ran by him. Democrats have owned this state a long time and is the reason we are where we are.

My neighbors smoking a cigarette and i can smell it, stop him, tax him!

My neighbors painting the house and I can smell it, stop him, tax him!

My neighbors mowing the lawn and I can smell it, stop him, tax him!

How about fuck her liberal bleeding heart bull shit

This is what people do not understand brother... everyone thinks that the prohibitionists will give us what we want when we give them control. They secretly want this to pass as they will have the control to tax, regulate and ban as they see fit.... and people will line up and vote them the power. Atleast with mmj we have somewhat control and with the VA it may be reclassified soon. It is all about the money brother and never about the smoker.

This is what people do not understand brother... everyone thinks that the prohibitionists will give us what we want when we give them control. They secretly want this to pass as they will have the control to tax, regulate and ban as they see fit.... and people will line up and vote them the power. Atleast with mmj we have somewhat control and with the VA it may be reclassified soon. It is all about the money brother and never about the smoker.

Well fuck them all then, I grow when I want, where I want and ZERO fucking tax
Doing it this way for years no matter what happens to there so called shit control laws

Yeah, I see that being as likely as this proposed tax being enforced.

Yeah, I see that being as likely as this proposed tax being enforced.

I believe it will. check out the patent issued in 2003 to the Dept of HSS (OUR U.S. GOVMT) where they obtained patent on the process of extracting the active meds from the MJ plant. The wording almost sounds like they patened the plant itself. Check out the thread...am I the only one bothered by this? in the MMJ thread right here on 420 mag. It directed me to a site where I can read it 4 myself.
Ask Diane what she thinks of that? The VA is ready to reclassify too. We are on the threshold of change. The form that change takes I can not predict...but I feel its going to PHARMA and MJ will be illegal in any other form. This protects interested industries and the entire criminal justice industry. There is an very long list of businesses that would benifit. Just my take on the events unfolding before us.

I believe it will. check out the patent issued in 2003 to the Dept of HSS (OUR U.S. GOVMT) where they obtained patent on the process of extracting the active meds from the MJ plant. The wording almost sounds like they patened the plant itself. Check out the thread...am I the only one bothered by this? in the MMJ thread right here on 420 mag. It directed me to a site where I can read it 4 myself.
Ask Diane what she thinks of that? The VA is ready to reclassify too. We are on the threshold of change. The form that change takes I can not predict...but I feel its going to PHARMA and MJ will be illegal in any other form. This protects interested industries and the entire criminal justice industry. There is an very long list of businesses that would benifit. Just my take on the events unfolding before us.

Yeah, I still don't see this passing, let alone being enforced. It has to be approved by voters first.

LOL... last time I checked... california was a welfare state... oh I mean democratic ran state.... just because we have a republican gov does not mean it is ran by him. Democrats have owned this state a long time and is the reason we are where we are.

Say what you will, as i am an independent....and the real reason we are this way is not because of one party or another, it is because the VIEWS of the conservative base that can block the Rep. Liberal Govenor, Arnold tries, it's the conservatives either side.

The other reason can be, that some people, perhaps you as well, don't go out an vote and still believe a God is man, and that man sits on his throne on a cloud pointing down on you should you oh I don't know say...sin?....lol

That's beside the point, all I know, it is stupid to try to charge the home grower and doubt that they ever could send police door to door, when our drug war is going on next door. :bravo:

Say what you will, as i am an independent....and the real reason we are this way is not because of one party or another, it is because the VIEWS of the conservative base that can block the Rep. Liberal Govenor, Arnold tries, it's the conservatives either side.

The other reason can be, that some people, perhaps you as well, don't go out an vote and still believe a God is man, and that man sits on his throne on a cloud pointing down on you should you oh I don't know say...sin?....lol

That's beside the point, all I know, it is stupid to try to charge the home grower and doubt that they ever could send police door to door, when our drug war is going on next door. :bravo:

I don't think they will knock down doors looking 4 the evil weed....but if there is any interaction with Law enforcement or god forbid, have a fire or need an ambulence and they see or smell yr gro, they will check if 2 see if u paid u tax. (like looking at yr DL or Proof of insurance) Since they r still working out how this could b handled the penalties could well b the same as they r now because its still criminal at the Federal Level.

Do I think prop 19 will pass? I can't say, but it seems unlikely. Why?

1. I think the vast majority of 420 supporters will get out and vote given the question, but im not sure even avid smokers will ALL vote yes. This is not a well written bill and seems overcomplicated. Some Californinans will b very vulnerable under this incomplete legislation. If I lived there I would not accept 19...only a law that applies no more control over MJ than exist for Alcohol and allows me the privacy to gro a modest amount at home for personal use without Govmt interfearence.

Unfortunatly if 19 fails the retoric will say the people have sopken and MJ should remain illegal. It won't report that 19 is just a badly written piece of legislation that the people could not accept.

2. PHARMA/INSURANCE/MEDICAL INDUSTRIES do not want me to gro meds at home. As long a the plant is totally demonized (mexican violence, street gangs, terrorist funding) the FDA can convince the masses I am incapable of determining my doses and need the medical, insurance, & Pharma industries to protect me from myself. After all, I may abuse my medication and street buy or step up to a stronger more dangerous drug (Pharma distrubutes those oxy's they r addictive but hey....legal if I get it from my DR.)

Im sure that after all the med programs are squashed as being "shady" and there r a few dramatic stories about the evil and violent the world of MJ that the plant is once again b illegal on all levels. Thats when they will release the new science and allow only PHARMA to leagally produce meds from MJ.

This is just what I think....what happens remains to b seen. I can only hope there is a way to expose the shady agendas of the industries that pay so much to keep the plant illegal. That who's funding the anti drug commercials, donating to the anti drug non profits (like DARE that condones the use of alcohol) and anti drug politicans. Industries with so much to loose if MJ should become legal.

Love and peace all....please write ur legislators at both the state and federal levels. Make um tell ya why the policy is so contradictory. Don't settle for the 'because I told u so" style answers. Its retoric!!! No one believes that crap anymore. They cling to it as the only shread of objection they have left. We have to find the truth and rub their faces in it and then make um explain themselves. I doubt any will say....I am just stupid.

Mama is feeling a lil angry at the screwed up mess that is our medical system. I don't have enough money to treat my pain through continuning dr visits. With my medical card, i see my dr three times a year instead of every 30 days. I can medicate when I need 2 and let my body b the judge how often I medicate. I don't need uncle sam or the state getting to tell me whats best.

I don't think they will knock down doors looking 4 the evil weed....but if there is any interaction with Law enforcement or god forbid, have a fire or need an ambulence and they see or smell yr gro, they will check if 2 see if u paid u tax. (like looking at yr DL or Proof of insurance) Since they r still working out how this could b handled the penalties could well b the same as they r now because its still criminal at the Federal Level.

Do I think prop 19 will pass? I can't say, but it seems unlikely. Why?

1. I think the vast majority of 420 supporters will get out and vote given the question, but im not sure even avid smokers will ALL vote yes. This is not a well written bill and seems overcomplicated. Some Californinans will b very vulnerable under this incomplete legislation. If I lived there I would not accept 19...only a law that applies no more control over MJ than exist for Alcohol and allows me the privacy to gro a modest amount at home for personal use without Govmt interfearence.

Unfortunatly if 19 fails the retoric will say the people have sopken and MJ should remain illegal. It won't report that 19 is just a badly written piece of legislation that the people could not accept.

2. PHARMA/INSURANCE/MEDICAL INDUSTRIES do not want me to gro meds at home. As long a the plant is totally demonized (mexican violence, street gangs, terrorist funding) the FDA can convince the masses I am incapable of determining my doses and need the medical, insurance, & Pharma industries to protect me from myself. After all, I may abuse my medication and street buy or step up to a stronger more dangerous drug (Pharma distrubutes those oxy's they r addictive but hey....legal if I get it from my DR.)

Im sure that after all the med programs are squashed as being "shady" and there r a few dramatic stories about the evil and violent the world of MJ that the plant is once again b illegal on all levels. Thats when they will release the new science and allow only PHARMA to leagally produce meds from MJ.

This is just what I think....what happens remains to b seen. I can only hope there is a way to expose the shady agendas of the industries that pay so much to keep the plant illegal. That who's funding the anti drug commercials, donating to the anti drug non profits (like DARE that condones the use of alcohol) and anti drug politicans. Industries with so much to loose if MJ should become legal.

Love and peace all....please write ur legislators at both the state and federal levels. Make um tell ya why the policy is so contradictory. Don't settle for the 'because I told u so" style answers. Its retoric!!! No one believes that crap anymore. They cling to it as the only shread of objection they have left. We have to find the truth and rub their faces in it and then make um explain themselves. I doubt any will say....I am just stupid.

Mama is feeling a lil angry at the screwed up mess that is our medical system. I don't have enough money to treat my pain through continuning dr visits. With my medical card, i see my dr three times a year instead of every 30 days. I can medicate when I need 2 and let my body b the judge how often I medicate. I don't need uncle sam or the state getting to tell me whats best.

Couldn't agree more.

Back
Top Bottom