Call Congress Today About Key Medical Vote

akornpatch said:
Well we lost. 163 to 259

I'm very disappointed in your performance and that you didn't get off your butts and tell your representatives how you felt. So now our tax dollars will still be spent on harassment of patients and total disregard for state's rights.

For those of you with the balls to contact your representatives...THANK YOU!

Piss me off.

That is a bummer.. it'll be there again next year.. another vote to prepare for..
wow, that's 96 votes.. 96 votes is a bunch.. don't ya think? Next year. :cheesygrinsmiley: :peace:

how about next year we target the "wasted tax money" and "failed drug war" angle at it? I don't think they pushed that point hard enough.

The whole point of the ammendment was to stop spending tax money on prosecuting people in states that have approved medical use. The opposition kept pushing the "gateway drug" and "no credible scientific evidence" mantra. That didn't have a f**king thing to do with it! I watched the whole thing unfold and I thought we had a decent shot. But it was not to be.

you're welcome guys. I admire all of you that took the time to contact your representative. The people have to take the power in this country back, that's the power of democracy. We've been discoraged from doing that. If enough people in the country want something to happen, it will happen. They just have to make their voices heard. Don't worry guys, the fight isn't over, it's just continued. We're not going to give up that easy so I guess we couldn't expect them to either.

If you think about it, it's actually a pretty high result seeing as only 11 states have the need of the protection the amendment would have afforded. Very dissapointed about the results but not all that suprised, there is just still too much of that propoganda bullshit out there. Once we get a few more states, we'll have a better chance I think.

Why Are we even trying this angle. It is clear most people would vote to make medical marijuana legal in America. Lets get it on the ballet and let the people vote on it directly. This is done on state issues all the time and I think it should be done on the fedral level as well.I cannot see the supreme court making a neg.judgement against the vote of the people directly,and any politition who stired up a fuss would have a hard time saying that he represents the people.Isn`t this even possible?

from NORML NEWS

Congress Votes To Continue Prosecuting State-Authorized Medicinal Cannabis Patients

163 House Members Vote To End Federal Prosecutions

Washington, DC: State-authorized patients and their caregivers who use or possess medical cannabis will continue to be subject to federal arrest and prosecution, after the House of Representatives rejected a proposed amendment that sought to bar the US Department of Justice (DOJ) from targeting patients who use cannabis medicinally in accordance with the laws of their states.

The House voted 259 to 163 against the bi-partisan measure, sponsored by Reps. Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA) and Maurice Hinchey (D-NY). The 163 House votes in favor of the patient-protection provision was the highest total ever recorded in a Congressional floor vote to liberalize marijuana laws. Of those who voted in support of the Hinchey/Rohrabacher medical marijuana amendment, 18 were Republicans (a gain of three votes from 2005) and 144 were Democrats (a loss of one vote from last year <https://clerk.house.gov/evs/2005/roll255.xml> ). The House's only Independent Congressman, Vermont Representative Bernard Sanders, also voted in favor of the amendment.

"For the fourth year in a row, Congress had an opportunity to stop wasting taxpayers' dollars arresting seriously ill patients who possess and use medical cannabis in compliance with state law," NORML Executive Director St Pierre said. "Instead, 259 members of Congress chose to prosecute patients."

Representatives Maurice Hinchey (D-NY) and Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA), along with Reps. Sam Farr (D-CA), Barney Frank (D-MA), Dennis Kucinich (D-OH), Barbara Lee (D-CA), David Obey (D-WI), and Lynn Woolsey (D-CA) spoke in favor of the amendment, while Reps. John Boozeman (R-AR), Steve King (R-IA), Tom Latham (R-IA), John Mica (R-FL), John Peterson (R-PA), and Frank Wolf (R-VA) spoke in opposition to the amendment.

Following the vote, Rep. Hinchey vowed to keep lobbying in favor of the medicinal use of cannabis. "People who are dying and suffering in states where medical marijuana is legal should be able to use the drug under a doctor's supervision to ease their pain without having to worry that the federal government is going to bust down their door and arrest them," he said. "It is immoral to deny people access to medicine that can help relieve their pain and suffering. We will continue our fight in Congress to protect medical marijuana users and doctors in states that allow such use. This is a battle that must be won."

My representatives all voted Aye :)

Back
Top Bottom