CalMag with water

gokenzo

Hello everyone.
i have some kind of problem here.
Since i live in country where we have winters with lots of snow, im still melting it to water my plants. Today i bought pH meter and EC meter for better results. So clean melted snow shows 7.8-8 pH and 0.003 EC mS/cm(clean). Mixed with calmag nutrients(as shown in calmag manufacturer instructions i have to add up to 1ml per liter to reach 0.45 mS/cm) on 0.45 mS/cm pH drops to 6.5-7. but after that when i add some of biobizz bio-grow(3 ml for 3 liters) pH drops to 5.5 but after two days(just had a look on nutrients mix) pH goes back to 6.4-6.5

I was quite worried about that pH so i did the same thing with drinking water from my house. It has around 7.5 pH while its clean, but it has around EC 0.323 mS/cm. So i have to add like only half of ml per liter of calmag to reach recommended dose(with melted snow water i add much more calmag). After that mixed with biobizz pH stays around 6.5-7.

Could you tell me which water is better to use?
I grow in biobizz all-mix soil

Strain critical plus
6 and 5 weeks old plants

EDIT: i was worried most about pH but now i see that melted snow is quite nice deal with pH because after some time pH goes back to neutral. so what about EC? is it better to use clean one or with some minerals in my drinking water?

Fortunately I don't live where it snows, but I do use well water. It's not the same but there are some similarities. It's not really so much about having clean water as it does having a pH balance that is suitable for your plants. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but in my experience, I don't check the pH until the water has been aerated with the air stone for about 5 to 10 minutes. At that time, I usually get a pretty accurate and stable reading. Also, some nutrients have to be given time for their buffers to start working to adjust the pH as much as they can. That's why I wait 5 or 10 minutes before I check mine. Then I spot check mine once a day. And as the plants take in the nutrients and the water, there will be some mild pH fluctuation. But as long as you keep an eye on the pH regularly, it can be easily adjusted before any adverse effects occur. And, I have realized the hard way that its always a good rule of thumb to use your nutrients at no more than half strength. The problems that come with nutrient toxicity can affect your plants' yields.

Back
Top Bottom