Calyx pistils all turning amber very early on Autoflowers

Sooperdooper

I'm growing 2 autoflowers and on 1 of them literally all the pistils coming from a calyx have turned amber, every single one, without fail. No other pistils have changed color on this plant. On the other plant there is a bit of amber at some tips, but nothing abnormal. I'm in the 2nd week of flowering on AUTOS, but still, I find this pretty strange. I'm just assuming if one was pollinated the other would be too as they're in 1 tent. What could be causing this?
20200626_225624.jpg
20200626_225458.jpg
20200626_225425.jpg

20200626_225442.jpg

As you can see the head of the cola only has white pistils but every calyx has turned amber.
On the other plant below, you can see hardly any amber even though it's a bit further along
20200626_225542.jpg

20200626_225605.jpg

Often the calyx on autos will turn early. By the time I harvest most of the calyx are brown husks.

Not all genome's do but a lot turn.

Check them for nanners and balls and if they aren't Hermie you're probably ok. Outside grow check for seeds popping up.

Often the calyx on autos will turn early. By the time I harvest most of the calyx are brown husks.

Not all genome's do but a lot turn.

Check them for nanners and balls and if they aren't Hermie you're probably ok. Outside grow check for seeds popping up.
Would seeds actually be visible on the plant or
Any potential pollen contamination?
I caught an early hermie and took it out immediately, i was just under the impression if one got pollinated the other would too. If I do end up with seeds is there a way to know before harvesting? Sorry for the noob question this is my first grow, only other time I've seen seeds is in the middle of a bag

If they were pollinated this early the seeds will be visible in a couple of weeks. The calyx would start to swell, then you see a bit of green shell peeking out. It's pretty obvious long before harvest, if they're pollinated in their second week.
Do you spray them with anything? Green Cure/potassium bicarbonate? Insecticidal soap? Those can turn pistils brown early.

If they were pollinated this early the seeds will be visible in a couple of weeks. The calyx would start to swell, then you see a bit of green shell peeking out. It's pretty obvious long before harvest, if they're pollinated in their second week.
Do you spray them with anything? Green Cure/potassium bicarbonate? Insecticidal soap? Those can turn pistils brown early.
I sprayed them with something called carbon boost, it's a mild pesticide

That might have something to do with it then. I used potassium bicarbonate as a budrot preventive last year and every pistil it touched turned brown early. It didn't have any affect on the flowering, just made the buds a little ugly for a bit until new pistils grew. Is there a warning on the bottle not to spray it on flowers, like insecticidal soap?

Hey Sooper,

All questions are valid. The seeds in a pack may be related but they are not identical, it easily could be the expression of different phenotypes. One chick is brunette with great smile & nice measurements, yet her sister is built like a linebacker, chews tobacco and drives a tank, both have same parents but they look very different.

But yes on what CanadianJim said too, anything that touches our plant thru soil, water, ferts, foliar spray or environmental exposure will impact them.

Flying Skulls “Nuke ‘Em” is tits for pests and such. And it’s safe to use from day 1 all the way through, and including chop day.

That might have something to do with it then. I used potassium bicarbonate as a budrot preventive last year and every pistil it touched turned brown early. It didn't have any affect on the flowering, just made the buds a little ugly for a bit until new pistils grew. Is there a warning on the bottle not to spray it on flowers, like insecticidal soap?
There isn't althoug it's all in Finnish, it does say that it can stress the leaves if mixed in high strength formulation resulting in leaves falling off though

Ahh, thanks. I don't know how that affects pistils but the active ingredient, triacontanol is used in agriculture, including commercial cannabis operations. I suggest you keep an eye out for seeds, and try not to spray it directly on the buds. It's a photosynthesis enhancer, so it would be best for the leaves anyway.
Maybe someone else who has used it has some experience to share.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

Ahh, thanks. I don't know how that affects pistils but the active ingredient, triacontanol is used in agriculture, including commercial cannabis operations. I suggest you keep an eye out for seeds, and try not to spray it directly on the buds. It's a photosynthesis enhancer, so it would be best for the leaves anyway.
Maybe someone else who has used it has some experience to share.
Sorry I can't be of more help.
No worries I appreciate the help, I'm hoping this isn't what made my other plants hermie but I'll be careful not to overdo it with it
If I do have seeds is there anything I can do? How significant of yield reduction would I see?

Back
Top Bottom