Can 2 plants grow in 1 pot?

DrBigP

Hi,

I know this has been answered: in my case it’s a bit more complicated.

So I prepared 2 3liter fabric pots and put a purple punch seed in one and realised I forgot to sprinkle root hormone powder so I dug up the middle lost the seed and was looking for it for 3 hours. I finally gave up and put another seed in the middle, they both sprouted today in the same pot, one is on the far right and the other in the middle.

So know what do I do, should I dig out the one sprout and replant it or should I leave it in there and let them share?

And if I transplant how do I extract it without damaging the one?

Thanks

Hi,

I know this has been answered: in my case it’s a bit more complicated.

So I prepared 2 3liter fabric pots and put a purple punch seed in one and realised I forgot to sprinkle root hormone powder so I dug up the middle lost the seed and was looking for it for 3 hours. I finally gave up and put another seed in the middle, they both sprouted today in the same pot, one is on the far right and the other in the middle.

So know what do I do, should I dig out the one sprout and replant it or should I leave it in there and let them share?

Thanks
If it just sprouted there shouldn't be many roots so you might be able to re-pot it. As far as 2 plants in 1 pot.... They say it's a bad idea. But I have seen someone else on this site do it recently. Can't think of who though. My wife puts 4-5 different kinds of flowers in her pots so I can't see why it wouldn't work for weed.

If it just sprouted there shouldn't be many roots so you might be able to re-pot it. As far as 2 plants in 1 pot.... They say it's a bad idea. But I have seen someone else on this site do it recently. Can't think of who though. My wife puts 4-5 different kinds of flowers in her pots so I can't see why it wouldn't work for weed.
Could you ask your wife what size pots she uses. Mine are 3gallon and I’m actually not close to the pots right now so as we speak the plants are growing. I’m thinking of cutting the pots and extracting the whole side out.

l used 10 litre pots on the patio last year & l had some "extra" seedlings and put 3 in one pot. There was 1 much taller plant (about 130 CM) and 2 smaller plants about 80-90 CMs each. Luckily they were all girls. l didn't bother to try any training with these 3 & let them do their thing. They were my cross between 3 Moroccan "Kif Ketema" males from the now defunct Bama Seeds & 4 female B.C. autoflower (much to my surprise) bagseed l made the previous year. They were very columnar with little branching. There were no issues with the plants "competing" or "killing each other because the roots are tangled" (Bro science l seriously remember someone saying) A little extra attention to watering in the summer heat was my only non-issue with 3 plants in one 10 litre pot VS 1 plant in the same pot.

l used 10 litre pots on the patio last year & l had some "extra" seedlings and put 3 in one pot. There was 1 much taller plant (about 130 CM) and 2 smaller plants about 80-90 CMs each. Luckily they were all girls. l didn't bother to try any training with these 3 & let them do their thing. They were my cross between 3 Moroccan "Kif Ketema" males from the now defunct Bama Seeds & 4 female B.C. autoflower (much to my surprise) bagseed l made the previous year. They were very columnar with little branching. There were no issues with the plants "competing" or "killing each other because the roots are tangled" (Bro science l seriously remember someone saying) A little extra attention to watering in the summer heat was my only non-issue with 3 plants in one 10 litre pot VS 1 plant in the same pot.
Oh cool I just checked my pot is a 3 gallon pot. So you recon they will grow normally?

How about your buds were they fine?

I’ll probably LST them away from each other. Just concerned about harvest time hope they both ripen at the same time.

Do you have a pic of the plants in a single pot?

My wife puts 4-5 different kinds of flowers in her pots so I can't see why it wouldn't work for weed.
Good analogy but different goals. Several flowers can be put in one pot because the usual goal is a mass of color. As the older flowers wilt and turn brown the gardener should deadhead (remove by cutting or pinching them off) the old ones so that they do not look ugly or start to grow seeds. If she was putting 5 flowers in a pot she expects a certain size mass of color but if she puts only 3 in she will still get a mass of color with about 3/5 the number of flowers and they will be on larger plants.

When it comes to our Marijuana plants we try to control whether they go to seed and hopefully we are successful at that. Plus we want the older flowers so we leave them on and do not deadhead.

Sounds like you are in soil. The problem with two plants in one container is that there is a limited amount of soil, about 3 gallons worth and that is all. There is no more for the plant roots. The micro-organisms can only do so much in one day and as the plants get larger they will be using up all the soluble nutrients in the soil faster than it can be replaced. The two plants will be needing water so the same situation. The two of them will suck the water out of the soil sooner than one plant so the gardener has to keep on top of that and water one pot more often than the others.

I took cuttings off one plant, rooted them and put them into pots all the same size with soil from the same batch. I put two into one pot to compare against the other 5 which were in their own pots. The end result at harvest was that the two produced the same amount in grams as any one of the other plants. There was nothing gained and there was extra work with watering, adding extra nutrients, etc.

The plants will not kill each other. They will share but in the long run nothing special is gained.

Transplant it out just like you would do if you were transplanting to a larger pot.

Get another pot, fill it with soil, give the two seedlings a week or two to develop a decent root system and transplant one on the side from the original to the new. No need to cut up a 'plastic cloth' pot. I keep a typical kitchen tablespoon in the grow room and would use that to go around the seedling and lift it with a clump of soil to the new pot.

It is not even close to being difficult and is a basic gardening skill.

Tha
Good analogy but different goals. Several flowers can be put in one pot because the usual goal is a mass of color. As the older flowers wilt and turn brown the gardener should deadhead (remove by cutting or pinching them off) the old ones so that they do not look ugly or start to grow seeds. If she was putting 5 flowers in a pot she expects a certain size mass of color but if she puts only 3 in she will still get a mass of color with about 3/5 the number of flowers and they will be on larger plants.

When it comes to our Marijuana plants we try to control whether they go to seed and hopefully we are successful at that. Plus we want the older flowers so we leave them on and do not deadhead.

Sounds like you are in soil. The problem with two plants in one container is that there is a limited amount of soil, about 3 gallons worth and that is all. There is no more for the plant roots. The micro-organisms can only do so much in one day and as the plants get larger they will be using up all the soluble nutrients in the soil faster than it can be replaced. The two plants will be needing water so the same situation. The two of them will suck the water out of the soil sooner than one plant so the gardener has to keep on top of that and water one pot more often than the others.

I took cuttings off one plant, rooted them and put them into pots all the same size with soil from the same batch. I put two into one pot to compare against the other 5 which were in their own pots. The end result at harvest was that the two produced the same amount in grams as any one of the other plants. There was nothing gained and there was extra work with watering, adding extra nutrients, etc.

The plants will not kill each other. They will share but in the long run nothing special is gained.

Transplant it out just like you would do if you were transplanting to a larger pot.

Get another pot, fill it with soil, give the two seedlings a week or two to develop a decent root system and transplant one on the side from the original to the new. No need to cut up a 'plastic cloth' pot. I keep a typical kitchen tablespoon in the grow room and would use that to go around the seedling and lift it with a clump of soil to the new pot.

It is not even close to being difficult and is a basic gardening skill.
Thank you,

I will extract it asap.
Makes 100% sense

I will extract it asap.
Makes 100% sense
My recommendation is to let them, especially the one near the edge, get a bit of size on them and a decent root system.

I have been planting several seeds, many seeds actually, in one pot of soil and separating them later into individual pots or into the vegetable or flower garden for so long it is something I do not think about. Leaving them there for a week or so lets the plant grow a better root system than just the tap root. A better or larger root system speeds up the recovery after transplanting.

You did not mention the time frame as to when they sprouted but I get the feeling it was not all that long ago. That is why I bring up letting them grow roots for several days.

@DrBigP Sorry, no pics of the skinny trio. The buds were alright. Kinda 1 main bud with a few littler buds along the main stem. Harvesting wasn't a problem. l hacked of the buds as they ripened. l got one of those jeweller's loupe lenses last year to inspect trichomes ripeness & it was very helpful in judging trichomes. A 16X enlargement VS the naked eye. You can really see the difference between clear, cloudy and amber with one of those things! A "tomato cage" with your double planted plants would help spread them apart. l got some this spring and will incorporate them into my patio planted Backyard Boogie grow this year to see if it makes it easier to train. l don't top my plants I just LST them. The cages l hope will help my plants have a more squat and even canopy VS the kinda unruly attempts at training l had last year. This is a plant of the same strain l had last year a friend grew though to see how the untrained plant looked though.
IMG_1844.JPG

@DrBigP Sorry, no pics of the skinny trio. The buds were alright. Kinda 1 main bud with a few littler buds along the main stem. Harvesting wasn't a problem. l hacked of the buds as they ripened. l got one of those jeweller's loupe lenses last year to inspect trichomes ripeness & it was very helpful in judging trichomes. A 16X enlargement VS the naked eye. You can really see the difference between clear, cloudy and amber with one of those things! A "tomato cage" with your double planted plants would help spread them apart. l got some this spring and will incorporate them into my patio planted Backyard Boogie grow this year to see if it makes it easier to train. l don't top my plants I just LST them. The cages l hope will help my plants have a more squat and even canopy VS the kinda unruly attempts at training l had last year. This is a plant of the same strain l had last year a friend grew though to see how the untrained plant looked though.
IMG_1844.JPG
That’s huh bro, yo I still haven’t transplanted, I wanted the medium to dry out a bit so I can split the chuck out with the roots in.

Back
Top Bottom