Can anyone advise me on feeding plants honey

superbluehaze

Hi ,
I am an Australian grower, growing under a 600 watt halide, in clay balls with about 20% coco, for moisture. I am growing Himalayan Gold and white label "white Rhino". Could you advise me on feeding the plants honey, and also is a ph of 5.8 the best for this medium. I hand water the plants. They are in the 5th week of veg.
I would just like to say thank you. Here in Australia, like other places in the world , we owe a lot to the early breeders and growers from the north west of America whose innovative techniques started it all. We have come a long way since then, but we all owe quite a debt to those early American growers.
thank you, and greetings fro down under

Not honey. Feed them unsulphured molasses.

Honey has anti bacterial properties that can actually hurt the beneficial bacteria in your soil.

Honey for your toast, molasses for your pot.

DD

Thank you for your help; excuse my ignorance, I know what molasses is, but what exactly is unsulfured molasses; is it molasses that has no preservative in it, particularly sulfur dioxide?
I come from Australia, and I think I could get that from a Health food store; is that what i should get? Could you also please explain dosages as I have never used it before, or heard of using it. It makes a lot of sense, though, to feed the plant some form of easily assimilated sugar.
What is the downside to doing this? does it have one? does it attract ants and other insects(it is hot here, and a very different environment to most of American.
thank you for sharing your secrets; I appreciate it.

Hello, You can get the Brier Rabbit unsulphered molasses here in the states in mild or full flavored. I use the full flavor at 1 tablespoon per liter of filtered water. I would be carefull with it if you are growing outdoors, since it can attract ants and some other insects. I have never had an issue with it indoors. Just use caution and common sense when pouring it into your planters. It reallt does allow your plants to increase their sugar production during their dark cycle 12/12. I normally do not use it until about the third week of flowering, but I do know others to use it earlier in 12/12 and later.

The unsulphered type of molasses is what you want, better for the plants ability to process the natural sugars, you don't want the sulpher. I am sure there are others on this site that can go into the more technical attribtues and reasons, I just look at my buds every morning and SEE that it works. Hope this helps.

Re: can anyone advise me on feeding plants honey, thanks mate.

thank you mate. You have told me all I wanted know. Thank you,:thanks:

I was told by my local hydroponic guy to use his molasses additive because the plants use the sugar for carbs. He also said I can throw some honey in there instead. I would like to know the opinions of you all here.
Thanks

Not honey. Feed them unsulphured molasses.

Honey has anti bacterial properties that can actually hurt the beneficial bacteria in your soil.

Honey for your toast, molasses for your pot.

DD

Hey there... I know that this post is from 2010, but I thought that I would just leave a comment anyway.
About the whole "killing bacteria" thing. I read on another website that when you dilute honey with water, it's anti bacterial efficiency is diminished. And in order to give you plants honey, you need to mix it with water.
So, it's probably not doing any harm to the good bacteria in the soil. However that's just a guess that I am making.

Back
Top Bottom