Can anyone diagnose this?

Alexjay

Woke up this morning and my plant has gone from perfectly healthy to quite wilted?
The bottom brown leaves were from an over watering incident weeks ago but has seen been really potted and recovered.
It's sister behind is doing perfect, with the same routine treatment ad the now poorly one

IMG_20151116_144440.jpg
IMG_20151116_144413.jpg

Done some research and think it might be light burn? The plants are about 4 inches away from the bulb which is a 125w cfl. Small bedside dresser grow space.

What I have not figured out yet is the drooping leaves with the tips flattened out at the end. You may have multiple issues to deal with besides just the heat. I know this may sound like a stupid question but I am old and my eyes suck, those pots almost look like they are metal pots> I am assuming they are silver colored plastic pots perhaps? If not, they do have drainage holes in the bottom right?

It looks like heat and overwatering. Small spaces need better airflow and small pots need to be almost bone dry before watering again. A couple of hours in a dry pot would do them good and some air too.

Thanks for the replies ☺ the tips seems crinkled in a few ways instead of just drooping, does that suggest more of a water problem than a light problem, or the other way around?

The pots did seem to dry out very quickly this weekend, so I watered each a little more. I've managed to drop them about 4 more inches lower from the light. Do you think they'll recover from my newbie blunders? Lol

Slow Internet problems lol just read that message.
Thank you so much for the advice. I've removed the bottom draw for now as a temp measure to lower the plants and increase airflow. I'll leave them bee for a few days n hopefully see them mend again, pop to the shop for some new pots with better draining too.

Thanks again for the advice, any other tips I can pick from you? ☺

I've had this issue before @OG, typical mistake when your a new grower. No offense AlexJay. They look healthy just exhausted. Be careful with the water and drop temps in there and they will bounce back before you know it.

Hi Alex... looks like it has been a rough start, but lets see what we can figure out here. First, everything looks to me like they are still reacting to overwatering and it also looks like overfeeding at the same time.

So, if it is not that, we will need to dig a bit to find out why they look like this. How often do you water? I don't think it looks like a pH blockage, but for completeness, tell us what pH you adjust to. Next, I want to know why those middle fans are clawing like that, did you add any sort of nutes or when you transplanted, was it into one of the supercharged soils?

Plants don't just wake up in the morning and decide to act weird... there has to be a reason for all that we are seeing, but it looks like you have been plucking off all the damaged leaves, so now it is hard for us now to diagnose this problem and you are going to have to give us some more clues.

I don't think that this is heat damage. And, I don't agree with you that sister behind is doing ok... she looks sick too. Logic tells me that if both plants are doing exactly the same thing, it has to be something common to them both, like watering practices, the soil used, or something in the grow room environment. For instance, those containers look very nifty and unique... are there drainage holes in the bottom? Help us dig down and figure out what this commonality is, and I am sure that we will be able to get these young plants back on the right track.

Start a grow journal and tell us all your stats for this grow and we will follow along and make sure you have all the help we can give readily available. The momre info you can provide the better. Link to journals in my signature.

I've had this issue before @OG, typical mistake when your a new grower. No offense AlexJay. They look healthy just exhausted. Be careful with the water and drop temps in there and they will bounce back before you know it.
Like Mello said typical mistake. It is easy to love them to death and hard to show patiences and allow them to grow at their own pace. I think the hardest thing for most growers , is patience. I know I can not help myself from looking in on my babies and seeing how they are doing. It is very difficult to stand back and let them do their own thing. I kind of find it is like watching your child grow up. As they get older and become a young man or woman, it is so easy to fall back into the "I want to rescue them from all the bad things of the world" and then you sit back and realize what they really need is to do it by themselves and grow. Know which time to jump in and help and which time to sit back and watch is a very fine line. Growing like parenting, it never hurts to ask friends, their advice on what to do, it makes life a whole lot easier
Best of luck on your grow.

Like Mello said typical mistake. It is easy to love them to death and hard to show patiences and allow them to grow at their own pace. I think the hardest thing for most growers , is patience. I know I can not help myself from looking in on my babies and seeing how they are doing. It is very difficult to stand back and let them do their own thing. I kind of find it is like watching your child grow up. As they get older and become a young man or woman, it is so easy to fall back into the "I want to rescue them from all the bad things of the world" and then you sit back and realize what they really need is to do it by themselves and grow. Know which time to jump in and help and which time to sit back and watch is a very fine line. Growing like parenting, it never hurts to ask friends, their advice on what to do, it makes life a whole lot easier
Best of luck on your grow.

Spoken like a true father.

I've got to say I'm overwhelmed by the friendly support on here! Can't say thank you enough lol!

I'm going to start a grow journal later, maybe you guys can follow my little fighters throughout their (hopefully long!) lives :)

For the pots, they're cheap metal ones from the local garden centre. No drainage holes :'( I'm gonna nip out and get some different ones within the next day. Do you guys recommend soaking the plants, let the excess drain through and wait for the soil to dry, then repeat in like a week or so?
I've been using the little bit of water often method.... But it looks like it's not doing my any good!

Gonna go do a journal now n paste the link up when I'm done. Thanks again guys.

I've got to say I'm overwhelmed by the friendly support on here! Can't say thank you enough lol!

I'm going to start a grow journal later, maybe you guys can follow my little fighters throughout their (hopefully long!) lives :)

For the pots, they're cheap metal ones from the local garden centre. No drainage holes :'( I'm gonna nip out and get some different ones within the next day. Do you guys recommend soaking the plants, let the excess drain through and wait for the soil to dry, then repeat in like a week or so?
I've been using the little bit of water often method.... But it looks like it's not doing my any good!

Gonna go do a journal now n paste the link up when I'm done. Thanks again guys.

Yep... that is the main problem then... the lower roots are drowning, sitting in stagnant water at the bottom. Maybe take a drill to the bottom and add 3 or 4 holes? You should be able to slip them out of there pretty easily to do this, and that way not have to deal with any shock of moving them as well as having to recover from the damage. Just drill the holes and slip them back down in those nifty pots, re-engineered to actually be able to grow something in them.

Regarding proper watering ... always saturate your soil to the point of runoff (out of the holes in the bottom) and then wait until the plants have used ALL of that water, all the way down to the bottom. There are no set number of days that this will take, at first it may take 4 or 5 days, but as your roots recover from this mistake, that time will steadily decrease until you find that you have to water them every day... and at this point it will be time to up-pot to the next sized pot and repeat this process. Your goal in each successive uppotting is to develop a strong rootball that has developed all throughout the container that you are in, and this process can not happen if you up-pot into too large of a container. Go slow, and concentrate on developing your roots... the plant above will respond accordingly.

Yep... that is the main problem then... the lower roots are drowning, sitting in stagnant water at the bottom. Maybe take a drill to the bottom and add 3 or 4 holes? You should be able to slip them out of there pretty easily to do this, and that way not have to deal with any shock of moving them as well as having to recover from the damage. Just drill the holes and slip them back down in those nifty pots, re-engineered to actually be able to grow something in them.

Regarding proper watering ... always saturate your soil to the point of runoff (out of the holes in the bottom) and then wait until the plants have used ALL of that water, all the way down to the bottom. There are no set number of days that this will take, at first it may take 4 or 5 days, but as your roots recover from this mistake, that time will steadily decrease until you find that you have to water them every day... and at this point it will be time to up-pot to the next sized pot and repeat this process. Your goal in each successive uppotting is to develop a strong rootball that has developed all throughout the container that you are in, and this process can not happen if you up-pot into too large of a container. Go slow, and concentrate on developing your roots... the plant above will respond accordingly.
Could not have said that any better then she did. That is a home run grand slam:bravo::goodjob::thumb::cheer:

Back
Top Bottom