Can Aphids Cause Bud Rot?

Morda Grown

So I found a couple spots of bud rot today. I decided to bring them in a have a look under the microscope. To my horror I found this chomping on the bud.

afid close.jpg

Now I'm wondering if this is the cause of the bud rot on this plant. I'll snipping off buds from every plant to see what others have the aphids. :rolleyes:

Now I'm not so sure it is an aphid... I was looking for more and just short distance away was a dead thrip nymph. Maybe this is a predatory mite?

afid-mite dead thrip.jpg

Started looking at the predator mites that attack Thrips, Here is a pic I found of what they look like...

csm_Amblyseius-Limonica_33fdbb43be.jpg

If this is an Aphid I'm thinking it is this verity...

SmallAhpidsOnLeaf.jpg

I'm about 1 week away from harvest maybe 2. Not sure what to use. I'm not big of sprays let alone this close to harvest.

Started looking at the underside of the bud and found a few more. This looks more like the aphid in the above pic with the tails out the abdomen. I think it may be a dead one as I'm watching it it doesn't move at all.

afid-02.jpg

This is on one of my other plants in the same area and looks more like the predator mite. I do say this, it will be a good reason to try bud washing this harvest season.

mite-aphid-01.jpg

This is on one of my other plants in the same area and looks more like the predator mite. I do say this, it will be a good reason to try bud washing this harvest season.

mite-aphid-01.jpg
I'd wet trim that bud very closely before wash/hang or Snap, Crackle & Pop are in town

Yeah I agree, I wet trim anyway so it will be. Gota get checking on the other plants. This is very depressing atm. Don't need rice crispy joints that's for sure.

The honey dew that aphids excrete can cause black soot mold, or sooty mold.
I saw what looked like honeydew on a leaf, frigging insect Crap. The one had two bud rot sights on it. I did not see any mold yet.

I took a very close look at all my plants. It seems only the one had them on the bottom of several fan leaves, The rest of the plants are clean. That don't mean they are not there and just have not spread yet. I have somewhat Isolated it for now away from the others. Since it was just that one I'm thinking of using Spinosad on it. Also, Do a bud wash at harvest and see if affects the taste. Spinosad is supposed to be deadly on contact for aphids so, It would be worth a shot for future reference since it is easy to find in my area.

Now I'm not so sure it is an aphid... I was looking for more and just short distance away was a dead thrip nymph. Maybe this is a predatory mite?

afid-mite dead thrip.jpg
What I thought was dead thrip is a shed exoskeleton of the Aphids. I found more then saw it in a aphid info posted photo.

Gave the only infected one a spray of Spinosad. :( I looked hard for a solution and it was what I had on hand. I will bag this plant separate from the others and label it after drying. Plan on doing a bud wash and inspection with the microscope before smoking. I'm going to check it every day, If I see them come back, I will just harvest and bud wash. I just hope I caught this before infecting my other plants. I just need 2 more weeks for the majority and 3 more for a couple that were late bloomers.

The spray helped some but still have leaves with live aphids.
jonfish_2.gif

I think I will be taking it as an early harvest and seeing if it will be worth saving. I could keep spraying it but, I don't think it will ever get them all and just infest my other plants.

Good luck, I hope it ends up usable for you. The problem with aphids is the lil buggers are born already pregnant, it's really hard to stop them while there is food to be had.

Good luck, I hope it ends up usable for you. The problem with aphids is the lil buggers are born already pregnant, it's really hard to stop them while there is food to be had.

Yeah that is what I read too. I'm just glad my other plants in that area are not infested with them too. In most cases when plants get aphid's it is a loosing battle. The plant has about 5oz of bud on it so it is a hit. It is raining today so I haven't done anything with it yet. Tomorrow I'm going to get as far away from other plants as possible and Trim wash and dry and see how they look. I took 8 leaves off it today and 5 had the &v<*'s on them. :(

Back
Top Bottom