Can Google Spot Pot?

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Recent news headlines touted "Google Earth leads to 16 arrests for marijuana."

The story claimed the Narcotics Unit of the police in Switzerland used Google Earth to find the addresses of two farmers thought to be part of a drug ring. It goes on to say as Google zeroed in on the fields, police were able to "clearly see a large plantation of marijuana being grown," an area measuring 7,500 square meters. "With this evidence in hand the Swiss police were able to shut down the drug ring and ended up arresting 16 individuals and stopping their million-dollar illegal business," states the AP report.

Is this possible? Could Google Earth potentially be the next tool in drug enforcement?

Not likely, say drug enforcement officials.

"Google Earth is about a year behind in times, so you wouldn't have enough probable cause to write a search warrant, and it isn't that clear unless you're looking at a monster garden," says Sgt. Wayne Hanson of the Humboldt County Sheriff's Department Drug Enforcement Unit in California. Hanson has been in law enforcement for 25 years and has acted as sergeant in charge of the marijuana unit since 2000. His agency serves about 50 warrants for marijuana cultivation per year - both indoors and outdoors. While Google and similar tools simply can't be used to identify marijuana on the ground, Hanson says his agency does sometimes use it to locate structures that may used in conjunction with grow operations, such as houses or abandoned buildings. In fact, he reports more people are moving the plants indoors and going to new extremes to hide them.

Werner Benz, head of the media office for the Zurich State Police, set the record straight regarding Google's link to the drug arrests. It turns out the above story was misquoted. Benz maintains Lt. Senior Grade Norbert Klossner told an AP journalist last year that the plantation could still be viewed on Google Earth, and adds that Zurich does not work with satellite pictures in connection with drug operations.

Despite the abundance of technology in other areas of law enforcement, Sgt. Dennis Basley of the Racine County (Wis.) Sheriff's Department says the most useful tools to detect marijuana fields continues to be a combination of low-tech tactics including "[anything from] tip-offs and farmers finding it in their fields, to nighttime suspicious activity in agricultural areas." Basley goes on to say local hunters have stumbled upon a plant or two, and oftentimes persons in an unrelated marijuana case will simply inform on someone else.

Could such misleading reports work to thwart growers, nonetheless? Maybe, depending on a person's knowledge of satellite imagery - or their level of paranoia. But hearsay and fly-over choppers, like those used regularly in Humboldt County, still prove to be king in DEA investigations.

Though the military has toyed with things like heat signal technology to aid in investigations, it turns out nothing beats the prowess of an individual trained to identify fields of cannabis dappled amidst a changing landscape.

"There's no technology other than the human eye flying in a helicopter to spot marijuana hidden underneath the brush and the trees," says Hanson. "We're open to new ideas, but there's nothing space-age out there for identifying marijuana plants."

NewsHawk: User: 420 Magazine
Source: Officer.com
Author: Sara Schreiber
Copyright: 2009 Cygnus Business Media

Anyone who thinks Google earth can't be used needs their head examined. I can tell what cars are in my drive way and it damn sure isn't a year behind. Go ahead and believe a cop and see what it gets ya. Just sayin.

Hi, first time poster, some time reader. (since jan '09) I have to thank User and all of the other News Hawks for finding all of these wonderful articles and putting them in one place.

Google Earth scans over some places more than others. My section in rural Ohio hasn't been updated in >3 years. I know this because we've built quite a bit onto our grain handling setup that still doesn't show up on Google. And, our place doesn't get that much detail from its surveys.

Now, that might be different for places near large, well known cities and landmarks (you can see bald heads at the Eiffel Tower.) As with all things, your mileage may vary.

maybe not in ur town yet, but in mine u can zoom down to street level and look 360* i can look at my buddys front door, see in his back yard, when i showed him this he was pissed-off, there was this SUV with all this crap attached to it (cameras, gps, antennas ) and it drove up and down every street in the city, then it all became public info. i can only imagine whats out there thats secret ... :peace:

after first reading this post I downloaded google earth, it wouldn't bring in a picture that was very clear, the clearest I could see a car was about 1/4" long,
and it was an old picture, over a year old, maybe there is different versions of google earth? idk. but from what I seen there would be no way, although im sure there is the technology to see what we do in our yard it is probably only really used in high crime areas, I know the helicopters sure have been busy lately around here though.

Really interesting article, thanks to the poster.

I would imagine that police agencies have access to better satellite imagery than the average internet surfer with Google Earth. Google would probably be more than willing to supply them with updated shots on request.

If it was my field of dreams I think I´d invest in a few boxes of plastic brightly colored flowers to attach to my plants, either that or find some kind of plant to mix in and help disguise the weed, sunflowers for example...

We may lose a few battles but the war is ours, karma told me so.

like google earth, there are private firms that have recon satellites orbiting our planet, and will sell info to pretty much anyone as long as it doesnt go against our national security policy.

and to give you an idea of the capabilities of what might be up there, the SR-71 blackbird is a recon jet that flies at +mach 4 (actual speed, top secret). it flies so high and so fast that the pilots dont wear flight suits, they wear space suits, just like astronauts. it has a camera that can take a picture of a car driven down the road and you can read the license plate number (actual resolution, top secret). now to some of you this might not seem overly impressive, but keep in mind that this aircraft and its systems was invented in 1959, took its 1st flight in 1964, and became part of the u.s.a.f. in 1966. today the SR-71 is no longer in use by the u.s.a.f. it has been replaced, with what, i dont know, but i bet its capabilities are outstanding ... :peace:

I'd like to think a plane like that is being used for military type operations and not spying on civilians, but that seems to be the norm nowadays

Hey Yo, im frm South Africa, not a grower or dealer, jus a patriotic user, with regards to the lookin for crops, dnt b fooled, the gov kno's everything, being a grower n being on the internet eg sites dedicated to marijuana n stuff is begging for attention, facebook n all that is jus a way to c wat u doin, cum on peeps, lets keep it real n watch ur bck, we in it togetha, STONER FOR LIFE........... MR. DANK. P.S. even me saying this is an implication into the wrong thing, BUT.......................... it aint bout me, it much bigger than that......

Back
Top Bottom