Can I decarb after I make oil?

ITheNorth

I had some cannabis oil made for me by a friend with a magical butter machine using MCT oil. I didnt decarb beforehand. I'm wondering if it's possible to decarb the finished oil I have in a Mason jar or is it too late? Also, should I decarb before making my oil? Me being a newbie assumed the machine would do the decarb process but after realizing it was not heated to 240*F during the process, i think i messed up.
I take this oil for sleeping and it doesnt seem to work so well. Also want to make gummies out of it so I avoid the green taste.

I extract using IPA, and distill off my solvent. I then decarb my oil to make Rick Simpson Oil. Put it in an oven at 220-240F. It will bubble until it is finished with decarb.
I have 2 cups of non-decarbed oil in a jar already. Can I decarb it somehow to get the full effects?

Yep. In the oven @ 220-240F and when it stops bubbling, it will be decarbed. Use an oven safe container.

I didn't know that you could do that.
Is there any difference between decarb before making oil or after makin oil?

I didn't know that you could do that.
Is there any difference between decarb before making oil or after makin oil?
Sorry I don't know, but assume no difference. I just follow the Rick Simpson procedure. I think decarb is decarb.

".How about in a casserole dish with the cover on? And approximately how long for 1 cup of oil?"

I wouldn't cover the dish. I use an open pyrex cereal bowl. As for time, there are too many variables to say.

".How about in a casserole dish with the cover on? And approximately how long for 1 cup of oil?"
Something seems a little off to me and I wonder if people are fully extracting the isopropyl from their oil. 1 cup of oil ? Are you using pounds of bud/trim ?

Maybe I'm out to lunch on this , but a lot of the youtube vids I see stop cooking way to early.
Maybe someone with more experience then me can comment, but I've been doing this since the late 90's with big black garbage bags full of trim, and I've never had close to 1 cup of oil.

Something seems a little off to me and I wonder if people are fully extracting the isopropyl from their oil. 1 cup of oil ? Are you using pounds of bud/trim ?

Maybe I'm out to lunch on this , but a lot of the youtube vids I see stop cooking way to early.
Maybe someone with more experience then me can comment, but I've been doing this since the late 90's with big black garbage bags full of trim, and I've never had close to 1 cup of oil.
The decarb bubbles are different from the alcohol coming off. If you stir it while it is decarbing, after the alcohol is gone, it will froth. I cook it until there is no more froth when I stir.

I believe you talk about different kinds of extraction methods. A few cups of oil would be infused oil for sure and nowhere near the potency of your oil.

I believe you talk about different kinds of extraction methods. A few cups of oil would be infused oil for sure and nowhere near the potency of your oil.
ah you're right. I didn't fully read the original post. He's talking about some sort of MCT oil that I have no clue about. I think it's cause I just recently watched a bunch of bad youtube tutorials on how to make oil and it's got me throwing my hands up saying "WTF, DONT DO THIS".

I should mention though, some really good right ups on the forums here. I think it was somthing like 'grandpas' turorial i was reading though, and it was really excellent.

Although it works both ways I prefer to decarb after I make FECO/CCO.
When making oil I use 190 proof grain alcohol and fully remove the alcohol prior to decarbing.

Made a batch of oil this past week, from 8 liters of 190 proof made from about 12 ounces of buds.
20191018_152819 (3).jpg

20191018_152840 (3).jpg

So this past week I distilled the alcohol off and recovered just over 7 liters,

After distillation I put it in a Silicone bowl and set it on a coffer warmer to cook off the rest of the oil prior to decarbing. Was doing this on my back patio and when I went to check on it my foot caught the cord and pulled it off the table spilling it all. Thought about scrapping it up and refiltering it but there was just too much leaves and dirt to recapture anything. Figured I lost about 50 to 60 grams of FECO/CCO. Sad time! Mainly hate that it was good bud, but harvested a few weeks ago so will be making a batch of oil soon. I also press Rosin and decarb it for edibles.

I had some cannabis oil made for me by a friend with a magical butter machine using MCT oil. I didnt decarb beforehand. I'm wondering if it's possible to decarb the finished oil I have in a Mason jar or is it too late? Also, should I decarb before making my oil? Me being a newbie assumed the machine would do the decarb process but after realizing it was not heated to 240*F during the process, i think i messed up.
I take this oil for sleeping and it doesnt seem to work so well. Also want to make gummies out of it so I avoid the green taste.
Not necessary to decarb, as that's what the heat from the butter maker will do. You'll be fine with your results. If it was only 170° that's ok because it was probably in for and hour which makes up for the lower heat.

Not necessary to decarb, as that's what the heat from the butter maker will do. You'll be fine with your results. If it was only 170° that's ok because it was probably in for and hour which makes up for the lower heat.
At 170 degrees F decarboxylation does not occur.

Back
Top Bottom