Can I grow in a high temp environment successfully?

Indicana Jones!

Greetings,

My grow room is complete. For my personal security reasons I can't provide many details but I will say that I've done all that can be done to get the temps down with the equipment I have. However that being said I'm still looking at 85-90 pretty consistent with night temps in the mid 70's.

I am growing a Indica dom strain called Skunkberry in organic soil well mixed. The RH sits in the 30% range and I can water daily with RO water. I'll be growing 12/12 from seed and the temp climbs slowly, taking about 6 out of 12 hours to hit the 90 point then starts to cool off after the light goes off. I'm growing under a 400 Watt Ceramic Metal Halide light.

I'd like any tips for growing in a high temp low RH environment anyone has to offer especially on how to keep my seedlings alive. I know it can be done but I expect it won't be best in terms of yeilds because I have less than ideal conditions. I have helped out on a few other grows a few years back but this is my first time out as Master and Commander.

:thanks:

Indicana.

Co2 . Additional ventilation. Or perhaps one of the African strains that take high heat low humidity better than somthing more tropical. Also, why CMH? I looked up a few of them online and don't understand. If you really want to use just one bulb, and many do, why not a HPS and just LST or top the plant to control stretch, while still optimizing your yield?

Co2 . Additional ventilation. Or perhaps one of the African strains that take high heat low humidity better than somthing more tropical. Also, why CMH? I looked up a few of them online and don't understand. If you really want to use just one bulb, and many do, why not a HPS and just LST or top the plant to control stretch, while still optimizing your yield?

For my situation my grow setup is designed to be strikable by one person in less than an hour. There are times through the year when I'll have to suddenly strike everything down and restore the room to it's 'normal' appearance. This is also the reason behind going 12/12 from seed.

That being said my ventilation (my weakest point) is as maxed as I can make it. I don't have a means of CO2 at the time so I can't take advantage of the higher temps in that regard. I'm going to see about raising the RH a bit but I suspect 90 degree heat is unavoidable for now.

CMH? Personal preference. I like the light and the fact it throws a lot less heat than a HPS. The spectrum looks to be a good match for some of the fancy horti bulbs and probably the most important reason.. I happened to have one!

I found myself with a space, a collection of equipment from friends a handfull of seeds and ambition! I may not pull it off, but I'm gonna try!

:rollit:

Indicana

U can grow in high heat but as Southern weed suggested U may want to seriously consider a strain acclimated to hot, dry heat. The problem with high temps is that the buds become more fluffy or what we call "airy". Ur main concern in warmer climates indoor should be ventilation and circulation. Exhaust hot, stagnant, stale, air, and make sure u have decent circulation (ie oscillating fan) in the room. Heat stress is another problem to deal with. I've read that indoor plants growth slows/stops at over 85 degrees, some may argue this point. Point being u'd want to keep ur temps below 85. U could purchas a cheap window ac to help with temps. hope some of this helps.

My temps average, within that exact same range with no problems. In my situation, I can't put a window unit in, it would give me away, so I grow regardless of the high temps, one thing that I found helps alot, is to have a fan directed at your plants, far enough away so it's just a gentle breeze, because hot rises, put the fan right on the floor, so the cooler air near the floor, gets pushed up to and directly on your plants, it lowers the average air temperature in and around your plant, which will help. Its no replacement for a window AC, if you can do that, but it works.

Also bear in mind, Window units draw alot of amperage, and are designed to be on separate circuits , because if you add to much to a circuit with a window unit on it, it may trip the breaker, or worse.

I have opinions about the average temperature science anyway. To my knowledge, hemp and MJ in general was originally a plant found heavily around the equator, and tropical regions, with lower humidity. hence why Mexico, South America, and Asian regions, that line the equator, have been known as MJ's origins, and mass crop regions to this day, it grows in the wild,in excess there...am I mistaken, if I say temperatures, regularly exceed 85 - 90 even 100+ degrees?...so where is the opinion that MJ likes it much cooler, coming from if that's where it was growing wild, before we ever discovered it? I've never heard stories, of the first America explorers, discovering vast fields of wild MJ, when they crossed the Mississippi
(not trying to be a smart ass, just trying to learn something. :) )

I have opinions about the average temperature science anyway. To my knowledge, hemp and MJ in general was originally a plant found heavily around the equator, and tropical regions, with lower humidity. hence why Mexico, South America, and Asian regions, that line the equator, have been known as MJ's origins, and mass crop regions to this day, it grows in the wild,in excess there...am I mistaken, if I say temperatures, regularly exceed 85 - 90 even 100+ degrees?...so where is the opinion that MJ likes it much cooler, coming from if that's where it was growing wild, before we ever discovered it? I've never heard stories, of the first America explorers, discovering vast fields of wild MJ, when they crossed the Mississippi
(not trying to be a smart ass, just trying to learn something. :) )
Most commercial stuff today has been taken to Holland (Canada, California, and Indiana just to name a few other areas although still not completely legal) and stabilized (over the years in a breeding program). Being that this is a safe haven for grower's and breeders alike many flock here to hone their trade or practice without fear of legal penalties. With that said many strains from many regions have been brought here and other places where the culture is accepted (California a more recent place). Anyhow, after generations of growing indoors these plants became acclimated to a certain climate. Holland is much more cold then equatorial climates, the plants became accustomed to this through time and adaptation or through cross breeding and then backcrossing. There are many seeds and strains that if taken to some of the regions u spoke of just wouldn't make it. It really depends upon ur climate, which is the beauty of indoor growing because it gives us the ability to control the environment almost precisely.

Hi,

Thanks for all the input. Like I mentioned I have done all I can for the ventilation and it IS my weakest point. I don't have enough intake and for stealth reasons I can't add any more or make use of a active intake. I had 24 seeds, germed 12 and got 10 sprouts and put them in soil. I don't have the resources to add AC though so I'm going to gamble with the heat and go for it. Some strains will not like it but perhaps I can find one or two that'll work.

I have a fan for both the plants and light so now I'll keep my fingers crossed, keep the top layer of soil moist and see what the next 2-3 days brings. IF I get some seedlings I'll take some pics and start a journal!

Thanks!

Indicana.

^^^^ absolutely my experience. I see some leaf curling and canoeing due to heat, but it's not a big deal. My babies hit the sweet spots early spring and late fall when the temps go down a bit. Stain choice would seem to be very important in your situation. Be sure to find a strain that does well in heat. I've been really happy with my white widows... they've grown better in the heat than most other strains I've grown.

Cheers.

If you can monitor the heat as it climbs just turn the light off for about 30 min and let temps fall this will slow down rate of growth but so does heat with a touch of stress. And I don't mean blackout leave a nice fluorescent flood light on. Jump on in the water's fine its a learning process with a buzz at the end..

I didnt see it mentioned but one way to keep it a bit cooler would be to place a bowl of ice in front of the fan every couple hours. It will help circulate some cool air over the plants, won't cost much money, and will allow you to keep it stealthy. It requires a bit of effort to maintain it, but definitely worth a try if you really have to lower the temps.

Hi,

Thanks one and all for the input!

As Racefan pointed out I have decided to go for it. I had the equipment and the seeds and figured it can't hurt to try. Last nights temps in the grow room hit 88. I don't expect it to get any lower than that though, at least not this grow. I think I can do a little better on the next grow with regards to ventilation since I'll have a few extra $$ to spend on the project and several new idea's to explore.

:thanks:

White Widow is one of those strains everyone wants to try and I'm no different and if it can handle the heat that's a bonus. IF I can't get my temps down by the time I'm ready to grow again I'll spring for some WW seeds. Right now I'm growing seeds gifted to me a year ago by a friend.

Well, in the next few days I hope I'll have a grow journal started. I just hope it isn't a report on how to bake seedlings!

Cheers!

Indicana.

Back
Top Bottom