Can I put my seedlings under full sunlight?

Hey fatbuds, It’s called hardening off. This is the process for transferring an indoors plant to an outdoors environment. Maybe check over on the outdoor growers section here and study up. Most take a week or so to slowly expose the new seedling to outdoors. Start out in shade not full sun etc.

Too tall? Stretching can be a sign your not giving enough light.

Hey fatbuds, It’s called hardening off. This is the process for transferring an indoors plant to an outdoors environment. Maybe check over on the outdoor growers section here and study up. Most take a week or so to slowly expose the new seedling to outdoors. Start out in shade not full sun etc.

Too tall? Stretching can be a sign your not giving enough light.
i don't grow indoors.

i'm growing outdoors, can my seedlings take full sunlight immediately or will they get burned?
When they sprout in the wild many of them are going to be getting full sun for 8 or more hours.

If you put the seeds in small containers yourself and the containers were not in full sun then you could consider moving them into full sun over a few days. Otherwise if they were in full sun from the git-go they should be able to handle it.

If they were planted directly in the ground, like in a garden, and not in a pot the new seedling will handle whatever light it can get or is exposed to.

Have fun with the outdoor grow.

When they sprout in the wild many of them are going to be getting full sun for 8 or more hours.

If you put the seeds in small containers yourself and the containers were not in full sun then you could consider moving them into full sun over a few days. Otherwise if they were in full sun from the git-go they should be able to handle it.

If they were planted directly in the ground, like in a garden, and not in a pot the new seedling will handle whatever light it can get or is exposed to.

Have fun with the outdoor grow.
the issue with this statement is a few things

first of all, many many seeds die in the wild, because there is 100's of seeds for each plant

also they sprout at a specific month, not mid season like i'm doing em now, besides italy not having the same climate as where weed is native from.

i'm just terrified of stunting them, few years ago i got taco leaves due to putting them out too early

If they’re only 3 days old, it won’t take long for them to get used to the sun. Just start them off in some dappled shade for most of the day, move them out in the sun for an hour at a time, and monitor them. If they aren’t wilting and look fine, extend their exposure.

In a couple days, they will probably take the all-day sun. Just watch the temperature of the pots, if you’re using any. I understand that the Italian sun is hot this time of year.

If they’re only 3 days old, it won’t take long for them to get used to the sun. Just start them off in some dappled shade for most of the day, move them out in the sun for an hour at a time, and monitor them. If they aren’t wilting and look fine, extend their exposure.

In a couple days, they will probably take the all-day sun. Just watch the temperature of the pots, if you’re using any. I understand that the Italian sun is hot this time of year.
yeah we get up to 40c in the shade, and also they pots are sitting on a concrete floor, also my pots are fabric black, which in theory attract sunlight? but can that be really an issue?

anyways now they are getting a few hours of direct sunlight and the rest is indirect, guess after 1 week they'll be good to go full on

I’m thinking outloud here but putting small plants outdoors too quickly and not getting them to acclimated to the sun slowly is what caused the heat stress taco leaves. Kelp & silica helps deal with heat. The plant is highly adaptable and can grow in most parts of planet earth. 420 member conradino23 is an Italian based grower and he turns out stellar produce. IIRC, he moved plants in and out between tent, balcony, home based garden & outdoor stealth grows to mitigate risks. If one got ripped he had redundant backups

Heat can be an issue. Roots don’t like it when it gets over 50C around them. I would try to shade the pots some.

Once, I poured some residual solution out of a solo hempy cup that had been sitting out in the sun on a 35C day, and it was too hot to hold in the palm of my hand. The plant had gotten my attention because it was wilted, even though I knew it was moist in the cup.

@fatbuds420 So, how are your plants doing? I’m an outside grower, in black fabric pots, in soil. Here’s my 2 cents. It has also been hot where I’m at, mid 90*F with the heat index up to 110*F in the shade. It’s just brutal in the sun and we’ve been affected by the Sahara dust that’s drifted across the Atlantic to the U.S. I have 3 big plants; a Northern Lights auto that’s at day 81 since sprout, and a couple of Mexican Haze photos, one at 90 days and the other at 70 days. They have all been outside since they were 7-10 days old. The NL can handle the sun & heat all day. The two MH can’t. They get heat stress and tacoing leaves if left in the sun all day. I have to move them in and out of the sun during the hottest part of the day. So it really depends on the strain and how intense the sun is where you are at.

I have my pots inside of plastic milk crates. They act as pot elevators to help in drainage and keeping the pots off the ground. I also wrap a light colored piece of fabric, like an old pillow case, an old cloth diaper, etc. around the crate to keep the pot and therefore the soil/roots from getting too hot. On small plants that don’t shade the top of the soil too much, you can spread some perlite on the soil to help reflect the sun if need be.

I hope this helps you. Good luck.

@fatbuds420 So, how are your plants doing? I’m an outside grower, in black fabric pots, in soil. Here’s my 2 cents. It has also been hot where I’m at, mid 90*F with the heat index up to 110*F in the shade. It’s just brutal in the sun and we’ve been affected by the Sahara dust that’s drifted across the Atlantic to the U.S. I have 3 big plants; a Northern Lights auto that’s at day 81 since sprout, and a couple of Mexican Haze photos, one at 90 days and the other at 70 days. They have all been outside since they were 7-10 days old. The NL can handle the sun & heat all day. The two MH can’t. They get heat stress and tacoing leaves if left in the sun all day. I have to move them in and out of the sun during the hottest part of the day. So it really depends on the strain and how intense the sun is where you are at.

I have my pots inside of plastic milk crates. They act as pot elevators to help in drainage and keeping the pots off the ground. I also wrap a light colored piece of fabric, like an old pillow case, an old cloth diaper, etc. around the crate to keep the pot and therefore the soil/roots from getting too hot. On small plants that don’t shade the top of the soil too much, you can spread some perlite on the soil to help reflect the sun if need be.

I hope this helps you. Good luck.
What size bags are you using? One way to help cope with heat stress is to give the plant a bigger root mass. My greenhouse gets very hot as we are into our long, +90F days. My plants get sun from sunrise to sunset, I am at about 4000' , but the plants don't really get stressed too much because, being in the ground, their roots are massive. Also, panda film, white side up, makes a great reusable mulch, and you can put black side up on cool days.

I’m in 5 & 7 gallon bags. I think there is a big difference between direct sunlight and growing in a greenhouse. According to this article from Wikipedia:

“In greenhouses, 30-70% of the outside light will be absorbed or reflected by the glass and other greenhouse structures.”

Also, being in the ground sure makes a big difference keeping the roots at a good/proper temperature.

Back
Top Bottom