Can I put rooted clones directly into flowering?

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
Yes, you can do it, but they won't yield much unless they've at least
formed an adequate root system before you flower them.

First of all, the term "rooted clone" is pretty misleading in the context of the stories
you read about doing sog grows.

The term "rooted clone" to most people is exactly what it sounds like...
a clone that has just formed its roots.

The point about going straight into budding, usually is speaking about the fact that proper clones are already "dna age mature", thus ready to go to budding as soon as you wish.

But reading between the lines, you're still going to need to veg the clone some to allow it to develop a more adequate root system.

In the context of sog grows, the idea of going to bud as a small clone, is related to the idea of packing more plants per square foot, and sometimes (with the right strain) for the purpose of doing a single spike type "budsickle" sog grow, also often used in some perpetual harvest methods.

Even for the spike type grow, if you desire a rack full of budsickles to look like small tree trunks, or donkey dicks (as they say), you must veg the clone at least a week in hydro, two or three weeks in soil. The longer the better.

In any style, going into flowering, your yield is directly related to the amount of rooting the clone has done during vegetative growth, and also the amount of vegetative growth to support more yield.

Now don't get me wrong here, roots will continue to grow after the clone is in budding,
but in order to get a good start in budding, the clone must have a sufficiently developed root system BEFORE it goes to budding.

Bigger roots before flowering will always give you bigger and better buds.

I have another question. Hopefully someone can answer. Due to space limitations, I'd like to vegg my clones in the system they're cloned in (bubbler hydro). In other words, I'd prefer not to to any transplanting into vegg once the clones have rooted in the bubbler.

So, can I take the clippings, allow them to grow roots in the bubbler, and let them vegg in the bubbler? And then transplant into flower once they've vegged for a couple weeks?

Thanks in advance for your infinite wisdom!

Are you saying go from 24 hour light to 18/6 for a week prior to going to 12/12 for hydro?

I got them in the small nuetral cubes and placed them on the large cubes yet still haven't gotten roots to take hold in the large cubes as of yet for most plants..... I'm on 24 hour now and was planning on going to 12/12 very soon. Should I do a week of 18/6 prior?

Thanks for help and sorry for being new :)

My understanding is that your veg needs to be long enough to develop a solid/substancial root system. We went with a longer veg because of this. We grow in soiless mix sunshine#4 our clones leave the dome with a full and healthy set of visible roots, then 1 to 3 weeks in a 4 inch square pott (top half filled with light warrior bottom with sunshine # 4) with a light veg and bloom mix with vermi tea to help root benificials develop. The light cycle is less important then intensity. (24 hrs 20/4 or 18/6) Moving a young plant from a cfl/t5 at 24hrs to a 1000 watt hps will cause a lot of trouble. You didnt say if your using 1 light for all or if you have a veg room. If you have your young plants under a different light source you need to harden them off to the new more powerfull light used for flower. I'am not a hydro grower but the better your roots the better your yield imo. :welcome: and Happy growing :peace:

I have another question. Hopefully someone can answer. Due to space limitations, I'd like to vegg my clones in the system they're cloned in (bubbler hydro). In other words, I'd prefer not to to any transplanting into vegg once the clones have rooted in the bubbler.

So, can I take the clippings, allow them to grow roots in the bubbler, and let them vegg in the bubbler? And then transplant into flower once they've vegged for a couple weeks?

you can do this, just make a slit in a 1.5 " rock wool so that the clone can have a base when transp[lanting, but yea you can veg in a cloner for awhile , just make sure you start adding a wee bit of nitrogen.

vegging for a "couple of weeks" will give you a substantial root system in a dwc set-up. roots may be entangled after two weeks. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom