Can I re-use my soil?

But it looks like going forward, I might as well buy a new bag of dirt each time I do a new plant.
I think you are misunderstanding a fundamental requirement...time. You asked if you could re-use the soil and got some excellent replies. Short answer is absolutely. You definitely won't have to enough to immediately reuse for your next grow however. But you have the right idea about buying some more dirt. And a container with a lid. And maybe some worms if you're daring. So here's an easy plan for you moving forward.

Buy 2x bags of dirt...if you are planning a grow in the next 2 months make it three bags.
Buy a plastic container with a lid (if you need to keep this inside) and put the root ball and ned dirt in there.
Moisten all of it with water and let sit.
If you want, you can buy some red wrigglers online and add them into the mix. (They will make the root ball breakdown faster and make regular bag soil into magic soil.) They eat coffee grounds and vegetable peelings.
Three months from now you can use that soil, grow an even healthier, bigger plant, and then when she is done drop the root ball in the same container.
Rinse and repeat.
It's easy and only takes a small amount of planning ahead.
:goodluck:

I think you are misunderstanding a fundamental requirement...time. You asked if you could re-use the soil and got some excellent replies. Short answer is absolutely. You definitely won't have to enough to immediately reuse for your next grow however. But you have the right idea about buying some more dirt. And a container with a lid. And maybe some worms if you're daring. So here's an easy plan for you moving forward.

Buy 2x bags of dirt...if you are planning a grow in the next 2 months make it three bags.
Buy a plastic container with a lid (if you need to keep this inside) and put the root ball and ned dirt in there.
Moisten all of it with water and let sit.
If you want, you can buy some red wrigglers online and add them into the mix. They eat coffee grounds and vegetable peelings. They will make the root ball breakdown faster and make regular bag soil into magic soil.
Three months from now you can use that soil, grow an even healthier, bigger plant, and then when she is done drop the root ball in the same container.
Rinse and repeat.
It's easy and only takes a small amount of planning ahead.
:goodluck:

You just made me realise something. I have been leaving my dirt outside. In their plastic bags. And i have a mite problem. Im thinking I might be making it worse each time I use one of these bags that have been standing outside. :hmmmm:

You just made me realise something. I have been leaving my dirt outside. In their plastic bags. And i have a mite problem. Im thinking I might be making it worse each time I use one of these bags that have been standing outside. :hmmmm:
Start anew and keep it covered. :)

Roots work with micro-organisms in the soil. There is a give and take process happening. Root give out root exudate to the micro-organisms and depending on what exudate is on the plate, the micro-herd give nutrients to the roots. Once the plant in chopped there's no more hand shake happening and the micro-herd quickly consume the old dead roots.
I totally missed this. Very interesting. I figured the roots would be a problem. I take back what i said,’im going to try this out! :)

If you can break them up a little by hand even better....they'll break down faster.

I just harvested one plant. When i pulled it out of the pot, ALL the sand came with. The whole thing is just one big block of roots. I dont see the point in salvaging it. Maybe some of the autos who’s roots don’t grow that much, but I certainly dont see myself re-using a photoperiod plant’s soil that is 6 months old.

Here's a reason:

Roots spend their time adsorbing water minerals and nutrients from the soil. You chop the plant and that process stops in its tracks. What that means to your soil is there's a ton of nutrients in those roots left in the soil. That and they are surrounded by micro-organisms that were there feeding the plant.

Those micro-organisms will make very short work of dead decaying roots (1-2 weeks). This is how micro herd feed the plant. It's good stuff.

Whats left of the old roots is like a constant source of nutrients & minerals and helps to keep your soil from drying out too fast. I probably could go on but you get the idea.

This soil will keep getting better so mixing a new batch every run is akin to starting all over again. All you need is some amendments.

I've found most anything we make ourselves is better than what we can purchase with money. Kinda a reason we are here growing our own.

Just trying to suggest a way to grow better each round. Gotta raise the bar. It will pay off for sure 420%

Back
Top Bottom