Can I repot my plant while in flowering stage

Ronnie361

I want to repot my plant its very small and flowering where it is at the moment is in the ground where there is only shade no sun I want to repot it into a large pot and put it in the sun in hopes of it getting n a little bigger
Any advice is much appreciated

Hey how's it going ronnie.....as for your question, I don't think you would want to change things in bloom. It will slow things down and focus energy on the roots and you need all the energy focused on the flowers.

Take note and next time you move up into your final pot you will use a #7 or larger.

This is a tricky one, @Ronnie361. If I understand what is going on right now the plant has been growing in the ground outside and is already noticably flowering. If the plant has been growing outside in the ground for a couple of months already then trying to transplant into a pot might cause some real growth problems.

You will need a pot larger than the root ball on the plant. You will have to be sure that the soil around the plant is moist but not over wet. If you cut to much off the root ball while digging it out of the ground the plant will suffer and spend time trying to grow a new root system. This will slow down the flowering that is already started.

I really think that people can help you with this if you could provide a photo showing how big the plant is right now, how far along the flower buds have matured, and how close it might be to any other plants of any kind that are next to it. A photo will help them help you.

Things that might help is knowing if you are in the southern hemisphere. Plants in the southern hemisphere that have been outside for months should be at the same approximate stage as the end of September in the US or other northern continents. I am thinking not only root shock but shock caused by transplanting to late into the flowering cycle.

Good luck.

Assuming we are not talking about autos... In a general sense- there is no reason you can’t transplant in flowering. I do it regularly and have transplanted at all stages. If it bothers the plants I haven’t ever been able to tell. Roots continue to grow throughout flowering, though not so much in the last few weeks.

The first few weeks, the stretch period of fast growth, is a common time to discover your pots are too small and want to transplant. Transplanting during this time is totally fine in my experience.

A plant in the ground is a little different. As smokingwings said. You have to cut a few roots to get it out. If the plant is in the first half of flowering I would go for it. If in the second half of flowering, planted outdoors, probably not really worth it. Though if it was in a pot I still would if necessary.

So I just took 4 of mine that were in 5 gallon pots and put them in big holes in the ground that I worked in some composted manure. They were root bound and I was wondering if it will make a difference. Being in Massachusetts we are in the earliest part of flowering.

it’s an older thread from 2 years ago but that’s cool too

old saying goes - you build roots in veg so the plant can use those roots in flower.

At some point during flower cycle new root production slows to a crawl. So even if the roots don’t knit up the whole kit & caboodle I think your ladies will benefit from extra space and composted manure.

welcome aboard 1029

Back
Top Bottom