Can I take a cutting from a plant in flower?

Thanks for your reply. Basically this is just a small experiment I think I will re veg some and try to continue the flowering cycle with a couple just to see what happens:thumb:

Hey guys i have done this many times and I have learned a few things along my way. I figure I will share it with you and maybe it might help you along the way and if not at least I tried LOL :)

I have started taking cuttings into flower and it does take a long time for the roots to happen. I found that super thrive has help in this , keeps the plant greener and helps simulate vegging. So when you take a cutting in flower it has to revert back to veg mode it seems and then it tries to produce roots. I found that the success is low. Now if you take the whole plant and cut all your buds off of it and leave everything else. Then you put it into veg ,your success rate increases, because it has roots already and all it needs to do is to revert. Usually after it has reverted it will grow new shoots provided you feed it to do so, this is usually around the 2 week range(can be sooner and some plants maytake longer).
Once you get around 3 nodes or so like any other cutting you take it and clone it. It usually behaves like any other clone . Now to make sure you get shoots happening I find that you cut as close as you can to the main cola leaving as much stem as you can. Then cut all the little buds off the same way.Don't worry of how it looks if it don't need it it will die on it's own.

What if you don't take cuttings and put the whole plant back to flower. Yes this will work to but just remember the more times you do this the more closer you are to the world of Hermaphrodite. It seems the plant gets drained of its power and the buds are never that grate, but you get buds. But usually by the time the buds are good to smoke the plant will stress out and you get into Hermaphrodites. Not all the time but it happens more often. Especially if your plant was a feminized seed.
I found that Sativa's are harder to grow like this then Indica's.

if you take the whole plant and put into vegg like I said above and take the new growth and make a clone,it seems to take better . I never really had one go Hermaphrodite on me the first round but you do it more then once to the same plant you will get Hermaphrodites soon or later. It's like as soon as the plant gets old enough to find out there is no male it will become one.

If you are into this :::

Even better if you have a seeded plant in flower and put it back to vegg with out the buds of course it will grow shoots and seem to be a little better , healthier looking . I have been experimenting with this and I have found it to work better in all ways . What ever it does after it seeds it helps it from becoming a Hermaphrodite. If you cross it with the same male it seems you get better Phenol pointing towards the male side. Almost like it carried the male over in away in the cutting some how.

I always sex my plants then put back into vegg and grow to get cuttings never had any problems if I took care of my garden .

Just a little incite

this is my first time growing and they r beautiful i dont want to hurt her but i kept her in veg for an extra 2 weeks by not changeing my light cycle and she started to flower before i got my cloneing stuff i finally got it and i wanna clone my lady can i still do it then and it will only take a week or 2 or is it gonna take longer because its in the flowering i could use the help

Hi im from tex I have taken clones from cuttings 3 weeks into flower even a month. Just remove all buds and soke the clone in 100 ppm calmag and root grow and give 24 hrs light for ten days it will continue to grow like regular clone im not a scientist but I can proove it

I tried to do the same thing. I found out the hard way that you can't take a clone from a flowering plant. Even if you have the clone under 24/0. To much stress for the plant to handle. Took 8 clones, all died.
You can clone a plant that has already flowered I will show you some pictures of mine that I recently did... The first picture is the first little bit of growth that shot out the top. Once it is established a good root system with plenty of extra growth as you see in the second picture I transplanted it mind you I use nitrogen cubes on every transplant. The last picture is currently. I still haven't flowered it yet. If I remember I will post a final photo once it's done flowering. I am amazed at the outcome of this clone (as it was in full flower). Meaning I did have to re-veg it which took a couple weeks. (I like to experiment) I believe I cloned it just before harvesting. It's much much bigger and as a lot more nodes than the plant it came from. She's going to be gorgeous when fully flowered I can't wait!
Anyways just thought I would let you know it can be done. Also this was my first and only one and it worked! Sorry to hear you lost 8 possible gorgeous plants!

Attachments

• IMG_20200118_092822_01_01.jpg
    IMG_20200118_092822_01_01.jpg
    810.4 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_20200118_092702.jpg
    IMG_20200118_092702.jpg
    850.5 KB · Views: 391
  • 00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200204183541890.jpg
    00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200204183541890.jpg
    707.9 KB · Views: 267
You can clone a plant that has already flowered I will show you some pictures of mine that I recently did... The first picture is the first little bit of growth that shot out the top. Once it is established a good root system with plenty of extra growth as you see in the second picture I transplanted it mind you I use nitrogen cubes on every transplant. The last picture is currently. I still haven't flowered it yet. If I remember I will post a final photo once it's done flowering. I am amazed at the outcome of this clone (as it was in full flower). Meaning I did have to re-veg it which took a couple weeks. (I like to experiment) I believe I cloned it just before harvesting. It's much much bigger and as a lot more nodes than the plant it came from. She's going to be gorgeous when fully flowered I can't wait!
Anyways just thought I would let you know it can be done. Also this was my first and only one and it worked! Sorry to hear you lost 8 possible gorgeous plants!
The last post in that thread was in 2015 look at the dates of the posts make sure your up to speed.

I would only do it if you had no other options. It does take usually DOUBLE the normal amount of time in a cloner and my personal success rate went from 100% with veg cuttings to 20% with flowering cuttings.

The reason is very simple... A flowering plant ceases virtually ALL root development when in flower. Any cuttings taken from that flowering plant are going to share that same behavior.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner
Well said,I agree
Peace

I'm actually doing a clone grow from Monster monster cropping my flowering plants. They were two weeks into flower when I did my cuts. They seem to be responding very well. The research that I've done so far has told me that when a clone is cut from a flowering plant the growth is very Wild. It does take a little longer for rooting but you get growths like the picture below. It's listed under my signature under 3rd grow if you're wanting to follow along. These are not my plants, this is just from the research I found. The last picture is the one of my clones they are a week old.
monster-crop-john-henry.jpg
monster-cropping-marijuana-plants.jpg

15824261799835029355753325621461.jpg

I tried to do the same thing. I found out the hard way that you can't take a clone from a flowering plant. Even if you have the clone under 24/0. To much stress for the plant to handle. Took 8 clones, all died.
Check this out Venom OG clones. I took four clones while I was 3 weeks into the budding stage. Look at them now. The bigger one that's in the pot is either presidential OG or lemon OG. But you can tell the difference to see which ones are clones. I took four clones all four survived

20210601_204016.jpg

20210601_204001.jpg

Yes, but a cutting taken while the stock plant is flowering will need to be forced to revert back to a vegetative state under 24 hour light. This causes additional stress, slowing growth and development. Rooting may take up to three times longer when the cuttings are taken during the flowering cycle.

Would starting them out under a normal lighting cycle for a week or two be beneficial in helping them recover from the stress of being cut, or do they have to be under 24/7 lighting immediately?

Would starting them out under a normal lighting cycle for a week or two be beneficial in helping them recover from the stress of being cut, or do they have to be under 24/7 lighting immediately?

you'd have to go to 18/6 at least or the cutting will try to continue to flower and won't put it's energy toward making roots. it'll also help to pull any buds off that may have started forming on the cut.

I took 6 white widow clones from a plant 1 month into flower.They were from the lowest limbs but had tiny flower on and were slightly resinous and fragrant.Some did better than others and it took 4-6weeks to get them rooted and growing but they all turned into bushy healthy plants that are now in flower in my yard.It takes longer but they should pull through eventually.
I've just gotten three clones taken about two or three weeks into flower. Took forever to get them to sprout roots and I'm setting up a second room to run 24 hrs of lighting. Ill let y'all know how it goes.

I've done this before by cutting off one of the lowest braches that has a small bud on it. Slice some of the outer stem off with a clean razor blade dipped in as pure rubbing alcohol as you can find. Get a regular drinking water bottle and add a small bit of nitrogen ferts. A drop or two is enough. Add in a few drops of rooting solution. Mix the bottle up well. Ph it to 6.0 and stick it in. I left mine at room temp in regular house lights till roots developed then planted in a red solo cup. Once in a solo cup move under 18/6 lighting. In a few weeks you will see very strange looking reveg growth. Once big enough move to a 5 gal or larger fabric pot.. Start training that growth for a Scrog type grow tying branches down under a net. You can fill an entire 2x4 tent with 1 plant. Once the net is full, raise it 2 feet and switch to 12/12.

Back
Top Bottom