Can I take a cutting from a plant in flower?

What will happen if you take a clone from a flowering female and continue the flowering cycle on the clone?
Flowering plants are just "fruiting" plants. Fruit needs to be physically removed from cutting in order for its hormonal instinct to refocus its energies into root development, so long as it has any "fruit" in this case bud then nature dictates all energy will be spent of finishing fruiting in a last-ditch attempt to save the precious "seed" plants required energy and ability to reroot is stored in the stem, remove excess foliage. The best time of day to take cuttings for propagation is early in the morning. The plants' natural rooting hormones are highest up in the tips of the plants in the morning, so you stand a better chance of propagation by taking your cuttings as early as you can. This applies even if you apply a rooting hormone to your cuttings

Flowering plants are just "fruiting" plants. Fruit needs to be physically removed from cutting in order for its hormonal instinct to refocus its energies into root development, so long as it has any "fruit" in this case bud then nature dictates all energy will be spent of finishing fruiting in a last-ditch attempt to save the precious "seed" plants required energy and ability to reroot is stored in the stem, remove excess foliage. The best time of day to take cuttings for propagation is early in the morning. The plants' natural rooting hormones are highest up in the tips of the plants in the morning, so you stand a better chance of propagation by taking your cuttings as early as you can. This applies even if you apply a rooting hormone to your cuttings
That's not 100% true. I suggest you read up on re-vegging cannabis. You do not need to remove the bud.

Not 100% specific to cannabis plants no but it is 100% true for fruiting plants, nature only has 1 blueprint, do you need to remove all fruit? no....but it will increase dramatically the energy available to perform said rooting. Mother always said if you don't have anything constructive to say you should probably not say it in the first place.

You can reveg a plant after cropping with very high success rate. Great for turning a plant into a mother not sure how links work but "mr canuck" on YouTube revegged his top pheno and did a great video on it. I personally take cuttings during veg as part of LST and lollipoping the plant. The lower cuttings do have lower success rate than a nice high one from a mother. But because you are removing the veg anyways you have lots of viable cuttings which you would normally throw away. Even 30% success rate from lower smaller cuttings will be alot from a big bushy girl just before flip. Next time I'm starting again from feminised seeds so will be doing this to get some nice strong cuttings

Well, none of my Bitter Sweet Pie cuttings survived. :( Our last ditch effort will be in a couple weeks when we harvest. We will take a buttload of cuttings and hope at least one can reveg and root this late in the game. If not though, Fawn, my other gal that I grew from one of my 2019 seeds has one cutting that is making it and is now being kept in a pot on a nightstand by the desk in my office, under a normal lighting cycle of lights on when I get up and off when I go to bed. That cutting was taken before flowering though.

That will get planted next year, and then hopefully in July, we will take more cuttings, at least one for 2023's grow, and finally one to be a perma mother plant; as well as one to breed if I can get her a brother from the 2019 seeds.

Guess trying to get a male will be my big Winter project, if it is possible to grow one from seed to mature enough to take cuttings and sex them in limited indoor grow space.

My personal experience, I tried this for the first time last grow. I was pruning back some bottom branches 2-3 weeks into bud, so I dropped one into my Aerogarden, which was 16 hours light. It rooted in about 10 days. That's it at the bottom right. It's Afghani x Kush

buddhakin2021-007-jpg.2422664

My personal experience, I tried this for the first time last grow. I was pruning back some bottom branches 2-3 weeks into bud, so I dropped one into my Aerogarden, which was 16 hours light. It rooted in about 10 days. That's it at the bottom right. It's Afghani x Kush

Exactly my experience too. A friend wanted some of the strain I had, a couple of runs back, but the mother was gone! So I was doing some maintenance on the lower plant of a late veg set of ladies. I think I took 20 maybe 8 where strong and rooting within a couple of weeks. The success is lower than a strong top cutting but to get as a bonus from throwaway bottoms it can be a nice way to continue without having to reveg :)

Yes, but a cutting taken while the stock plant is flowering will need to be forced to revert back to a vegetative state under 24 hour light. This causes additional stress, slowing growth and development. Rooting may take up to three times longer when the cuttings are taken during the flowering cycle. The cutting may not have enough stored nutrients or carbohydrates to survive. If you must do this then take the cutting when the mother plant is only a week or two into flowering.

Additional comment:
The above "flowering plant" is to be taken verbatim.
However, the above should not to be confused with a sexy mom who has been showing her primordia aka pre flowers while vegging, and has been kept in a vegetative state of growth for several months or years. These old mature primordia displaying moms clone just as well as a premature seedling.
My rule of the green thumb. Is up to 10 days after changing to 12/12. But there is always the possibility of growing new plant from old roots. Just leave at least one small limb at base of stem. Return to 18 hours of light. It will return to vegetative state and grow. Clones can be obtained from reveg.

You can reveg a plant after cropping with very high success rate. Great for turning a plant into a mother not sure how links work but "mr canuck" on YouTube revegged his top pheno and did a great video on it. I personally take cuttings during veg as part of LST and lollipoping the plant. The lower cuttings do have lower success rate than a nice high one from a mother. But because you are removing the veg anyways you have lots of viable cuttings which you would normally throw away. Even 30% success rate from lower smaller cuttings will be alot from a big bushy girl just before flip. Next time I'm starting again from feminised seeds so will be doing this to get some nice strong cuttings
Haha I watch him aswell he no his stuff for sure

This is now mootsville for me, as none of Fawn's cuttings survived either, so am starting fresh on project X2022, which will be getting an updated video elsewhere on the Internet soon.

I do have to say that X2021 was a smashing partial success, a success in that little Fawn produced a full 3 ounces of smokable bud (not counting the few samplers I had plucked over the past couple weeks), and 4.7 ounces of Pixie Dust (trim, leaves, etc that gets all ground up for edibles experiments).

The other objectives did not get met though, as I did not get a male plant for my next step in breeding via halfassed science, and no cuttings to carry on for this year.

Here is what I am smoking on now...

RPGJ-X2021-Final-1.JPG
RPGJ-X2021-Final-0.JPG

And that was like perhaps 8 branches of buds tops. The Bitter Sweet Pie hanging in the downstairs bathroom here is also ready for processing, and I am predicting at least three times what Fawn produced.

But now, back to the beginning with project X2022. I would start a grow journal here for it, but there really isn't much to show yet, although it is coming along pretty decently. Will probably at least do a non video journal here for it. But time to go enjoy a sampling of my yield.

Finally got some valuable feedback from my neighbor yesterday on the bit of bud I handed off to him a while back to try out. For Pixie Sass-2021, his assessment was that it was a bit preemie (understandable considering we did harvest a bit early), but still quite good.

That is enough for me to deem this grow a success. Hopefully I will get a similar or even better feedback on the Bitter Sweet Pie bud I handed him yesterday (he was the one who gave me the plant in the first place).

I once had some very young clone plants accidentally go into flower, due to a snafu with my lighting. I carefully clipped off the emerging flowers. The plants grew up just fine.

About how young were they?

I'm guessing 1 or 2 weeks out of the clone chamber, maybe longer. Very small plants.

You can definitely take a cutting from a plant that's in the flowering stage. Best to take it at the beginning of flowering, and probably low down on the plant. See my cloning technique link in my signature. You will need to keep photoperiod lighting on the clones, to keep them from flowering. I use "night interruption" lighting.

Your idea sounds good!! :kiss: What’s the temperature during that process?

Your idea sounds good!! :kiss: What’s the temperature during that process?
Just room temperature. The Aerogarden is a drip system, so the top part of the roots are never fully submerged. This means that a cutting gets running water for one minute (or whatever you set) but then is in the air for five. I think this may have advantages over constant submersion.

It will be hard that take a clone from a flowering plant. But you can try it once.:green_heart:
I just started 9 new clones from plants that have been blooming for almost 2 weeks. I have seen this work over and over again... it just takes a little longer. I too used the woodiest lower growth branches I could find for this job. I like the idea of using the gas lantern light pattern for these clones, and will be trying that immediately instead of the normal 18/6

Back
Top Bottom