can i use molasses as a substitute for cal/mag

Thread starter #1
Hi guys just wondering if anyone has any experience in using treacle/molasses as an organic substitute for products such as cal/mag. I am using led lights and my growing medium is peat moss with a good measure of perlite and tomato feed for nutes, I am on a very low budget and I'm trying to use household items as there are no grow shops I can use too easily! Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

I woud think crushd egg shells and epson salt woud be a good repacement for Calmag. You'd want to soak the eggshells over night and check the PPM to make sure you're not adding too much calcium

I woud think crushd egg shells and epson salt woud be a good repacement for Calmag. You'd want to soak the eggshells over night and check the PPM to make sure you're not adding too much calcium
it takes a couple of years before eggshells decompose into a form that can be absorbed by plants, they are not a source of calcium for growing herb :peace:

What's wrong with CalMag anyway. That's good stuff - and it isn't expensive. It is exactly what they need, in an easy to measure and consistent strength.
Why make it hard?

~Auggie~

if mixed with a heavily microbial tea, the non organic cal/mag may not affect the soils health too drastically. Most likely if the soil is super and super healthy, you should be fine :)

well, if you're happy to introduce an element of risk that you feel out weighs every other effort that you take to the nth degree along the growing path to ensure a healthy plant, then go for it :peace: