Can I use perimeter lights HPS/MH?

Curiousnoob

Hello, I have a question about using industrial perimeter lights for grow room back ups. At work we have just replaced 3 perimeter lights with LEDs, not minding a little tinker I opened them up to find they are 2 x 400w hps and 1 x MH. These are them..
20190516_121558.jpg
20190516_121626.jpg

As the internals are all in near perfect condition only the blown globes are the issue. After pulling the ballast out with cable to globe holder and hard wired plug, can I put a grow light in these and use one for a back up in my grow room?
15579740459666292172046013392062.jpg
15579740688832686548674119531299.jpg

Yeah, they work great and that's a pretty good ratio of lighting types (2x HPS to 1x MH) to take you all the way to harvest. Recycle the glass shields (shut off the MH when working in the grow room if it's an unjacketed one, as you might be receiving some UV while it is in operation with no glass, but otherwise no worries) unless you are going to modify the fixtures for forced air cooling, because the glass will attenuate the light output by around 9%. Make sure they're correctly wired for your location's voltage.

Consider getting some actual horticultural reflectors, because they'll work better for your purpose (you're trying to concentrate the light onto a small area, not illuminate a parking lot well enough to see to walk from the building to your vehicle - and the material should be of higher quality (higher light reflectivity)) and most of them have provisions for air cooling. Also, they're generally a lot lighter than industrial-use fixtures.

Strongly consider setting the ballasts up "remotely" so as to get those sources of heat out of the grow space.

EDIT: Buy a set of new bulbs. Horticultural-use ones preferred, but it's not absolutely necessary (might affect your yield a bit, is all). By the time the Mark I Eyeball, Human can detect a degradation of the output, it has already dropped off a significant amount. But you'd still be paying for the same amount of electricity each month, so...

Back
Top Bottom