Can someone advise re: type of soil required to transplant?

CottageGrow

420 Member
My plants are at the stage to transplant from a SOLO Cup to the next size Container
- I was thinking that I would transplant using a 1-2 Gallon planter/pot
During the SOLO Cup stage I used soil with NO Nutrients (and) have recently used and added a product called "Rhizotonic" from BIOCANNA to encourage and stimulate the development of Root Growth & Root Tips
Question re- SOIL to use when Transplanting:
Is there a particular type of soil that I should consider using for this next stage?
ie)
- Can I use a "TRIPLE-MIX" Soil (a mixture of "Compost - Manure - and Top Soil") or should I consider a regular type of Potting Soil from a Nursery, or is there a recommended soil mixture that I should consider?

I was hoping "not" to have to buy a Special Type of soil that would be costly

As I am a NewBe at this, I would appreciate any recommendations

Hello CottageGrow. I suppose this would depend on your grow style.
Are you looking to just do a very simple grow and just use a soil that has nutrients already in it or are you looking for something that allows you to add whatever nutrients you choose?
I use what is regarded as a "soilless mix" It's called Sunshine Mix #4. It is basically just peat and pearlite. It has nothing nutritional in it at all. Holds moisture well and has served me well so far.
Only you can choose what best works for your growing style but I suggest reading all you can on the different options so you best understand for a better educated decision. It's not what works best for me but what will work best for you.

Hey @CottageGrow - i am not sure what area you are but here in Cape Town, SA our general potting soil is usually high in PH. Keep in mind this is a weed and can almost grow in any soil - though i feel with general potting soil you will not get the best results.
I was hoping "not" to have to buy a Special Type of soil that would be costly
If you are not looking to buy soil - use the soil you were currently using that you said had no added nutrients. You may spend loads of money on nutrients though. There's loads of soil out there that you could grow your weed from seed to harvest with no added nutrients so of course it costs more that a standard soil. So up to you.
:yummy:Happy growing :high-five::ganjamon:

Hello CottageGrow. I suppose this would depend on your grow style.
Are you looking to just do a very simple grow and just use a soil that has nutrients already in it or are you looking for something that allows you to add whatever nutrients you choose?
I use what is regarded as a "soilless mix" It's called Sunshine Mix #4. It is basically just peat and pearlite. It has nothing nutritional in it at all. Holds moisture well and has served me well so far.
Only you can choose what best works for your growing style but I suggest reading all you can on the different options so you best understand for a better educated decision. It's not what works best for me but what will work best for you.

Thank you for your reply

I have a Fertilizer that I can add, I picked it up at our local shop
- It is called "Bio-Vega" (from Biocanna), I plan on using this nutrient as an additive during the Growing Stage
Our local Nursery has a "similar" soil as what you are using (Peat/Pearlite), it is the same soil mixture that I have been using in the SOLO Cups.
A "bale" of this soil is approx. $30, and I have no problem using that
- The reason I was considering a "Triple-Mix" Soil, is that I just bought a Trailer full of "Triple-Mix" for my Vegetable Garden (and) wasn't sure if it would be fine to use when I transplant
- Initially, I thought that I would "consider" the Triple-Mix and supplement the soil with the "Bio-Vega" Nutrient
I am not sure if that would be good for the plants ... Any thoughts ?

Hey @CottageGrow - i am not sure what area you are but here in Cape Town, SA our general potting soil is usually high in PH. Keep in mind this is a weed and can almost grow in any soil - though i feel with general potting soil you will not get the best results.

If you are not looking to buy soil - use the soil you were currently using that you said had no added nutrients. You may spend loads of money on nutrients though. There's loads of soil out there that you could grow your weed from seed to harvest with no added nutrients so of course it costs more that a standard soil. So up to you.

Thank You for your reply
I am in Ontario/Canada
Perhaps I will consider sticking with the NO Nutrient type of Soil vs. "Triple-Mix" and then add a NUTRIENT as applicable
- I have a bottle of "Bio-Vega" .... a Nutrient for the Growing Stage
I am not sure if it would be over-doing it by using a Triple-Mix (and) also adding a Nutrient .... [I forgot about the whole PH thing]
- I was considering the Triple Mix as I just bought a trailer full (for my Vegetable Garden)
As the veggies grow well in that type of soil, I thought that it may also be a good medium for my plants

I appreciate the getting advice from experienced growers & learn from the successes & failures (it helps me learn)

I can't honestly give my opinion on the Triple mix due to not having experience with it. I too am in Canada. With that being said you have access to all the nutrients you want between local shops & online. I use Nutri-plus and find it very user friendly. Sounds like you are on the right track for sure.

I can't honestly give my opinion on the Triple mix due to not having experience with it. I too am in Canada. With that being said you have access to all the nutrients you want between local shops & online. I use Nutri-plus and find it very user friendly. Sounds like you are on the right track for sure.
Thank you very much for your reply
I am getting more confident with the support & comments I am getting

Back
Top Bottom