Can someone clear this up?

Makeminefullgrown

Hello, I am growing 3 photos, all different strains and they are on day 49 since the flip. I have two questions and hope someone can answer them and help me.
1. I’m seeing some corkscrewing on some of the small thin sugar leaves growing from some of the buds. Is this genetic, environmental, PH issues or none of the above.
2. What should my correct PH range be for my waterings??
I’m growing in Fox Farms 70/30 buffered coco. In 5 gal pots.
Mix was amended w/ dry organic nutes before final transplant and has been top dressed once w/ basically the same dry organics just less N and more P & K.
I’ve also given Stump Tea once a week for microbial benefits.
Also light doses of cal mag….100-150ppm.
I’ve been watering similar to a soil grow. Painstakingly slowly watering each plant until it’s fully saturated, won’t hold another drop, and getting a tiny bit of runoff….hardly enough to measure. Takes me about an hour to do my watering ritual….I mist the top very heavily before giving the water and it absorbs evenly.
I then wait Until it dries out some and the pot gets lighter before I water again….it’s usually water every third day. Each 5 gal pot usually takes 1.25-1.5 gal of water each time.
I recently started using rice hulls as a mulch to help keep the top from drying out and with fungus knats.
Over the entire grow I’ve varied the Ph from 5.9-6.4……but mostly right around 6.0.
I know the availability chart for hydro and soil like the back of my hand, but I’ve been told that b/c I’m running dry organics and am microbe dependent, I should use a higher ph….more like soil.
I’ve also been told that my choice of nutrition doesn’t matter and to follow the hydro chart and keeping things at 5.7-6.0.
So given my grow specs, what should it be?
And are my corkscrew sugar leaves a sign of anything other than they just grew that way???
Strains are Jack Herer, Amnesia, and Gelato OG.
Light is HLG 320 r-spec LED running at 85% and 16-20” above most of the canopy.
Temps can get 83-84f but stay at 78f most of the time. Good ventilation and airflow…RH stays in the hi 40%s.
Thanks to all….cheers.
8ED45564-ECF2-447D-B2B9-F49BF8AB06BE.jpeg
51C03554-EB90-4675-9F64-38183520566A.jpeg
62B2189D-D67C-4032-BCEF-D9FF6D281266.jpeg

Hello, I am growing 3 photos, all different strains and they are on day 49 since the flip. I have two questions and hope someone can answer them and help me.
1. I’m seeing some corkscrewing on some of the small thin sugar leaves growing from some of the buds. Is this genetic, environmental, PH issues or none of the above.
Mix was amended w/ dry organic nutes before final transplant and has been top dressed once w/ basically the same dry organics just less N and more P & K.
I’ve been watering similar to a soil grow. Painstakingly slowly watering each plant until it’s fully saturated, won’t hold another drop, and getting a tiny bit of runoff….hardly enough to measure. Takes me about an hour to do my watering ritual….I mist the top very heavily before giving the water and it absorbs evenly.
I then wait Until it dries out some and the pot gets lighter before I water again….it’s usually water every third day. Each 5 gal pot usually takes 1.25-1.5 gal of water each time.
I recently started using rice hulls as a mulch to help keep the top from drying out and with fungus knats.
Over the entire grow I’ve varied the Ph from 5.9-6.4……but mostly right around 6.0.
I know the availability chart for hydro and soil like the back of my hand, but I’ve been told that b/c I’m running dry organics and am microbe dependent, I should use a higher ph….more like soil.
I’ve also been told that my choice of nutrition doesn’t matter and to follow the hydro chart and keeping things at 5.7-6.0.
And are my corkscrew sugar leaves a sign of anything other than they just grew that way???
Temps can get 83-84f but stay at 78f most of the time. Good ventilation and airflow…RH stays in the hi 40%s.
Thanks to all….cheers.
I'll give you my take on it: As long as the leaves coming out "twisty" are healthy and green, I wouldn't sweat it, lot's of things can cause that, too many nutes, lights a little "hot", genetics, etc..... Just keep an eye on it and make sure the leaves are not showing spots, nute burn or deficiency symptoms. You're in the correct range for PH, 5.8-6.2 for that media. Not knowing your water quality (hard or soft/TDS) makes it difficult to try and estimate how much calmag you need. If you have soft water you need more calmag, harder water (more Ca in the water) needs less calmag. If you are using R/O water then Calmag, at full strength, is a must. Sounds like you've got the watering down to a science!!!! Your plants look good, overall. Only thing I can add is when you mix up your nutes, let the calmag sit in the water for 15 minutes or so, then PH the water. Best of luck!!!

I'll give you my take on it: As long as the leaves coming out "twisty" are healthy and green, I wouldn't sweat it, lot's of things can cause that, too many nutes, lights a little "hot", genetics, etc..... Just keep an eye on it and make sure the leaves are not showing spots, nute burn or deficiency symptoms. You're in the correct range for PH, 5.8-6.2 for that media. Not knowing your water quality (hard or soft/TDS) makes it difficult to try and estimate how much calmag you need. If you have soft water you need more calmag, harder water (more Ca in the water) needs less calmag. If you are using R/O water then Calmag, at full strength, is a must. Sounds like you've got the watering down to a science!!!! Your plants look good, overall. Only thing I can add is when you mix up your nutes, let the calmag sit in the water for 15 minutes or so, then PH the water. Best of luck!!!
Thanks for the cal mag tip. I’ve been letting it sit for about 30 min after I add the cal mag and ph…..I always check it again and it seems to rise slightly. But I’ll start reversing that order.
My tap water is 144ppm….which I interpret as on the average to low/average range.
What puzzles me is the plain tap alone is 144ppm but after I PH it the ppm count is lower….by a good 50%.
I’m using the Fox farms “organic” ph product, which I believe is citric acid + other ingredients….
I thought I was losing my mind or my meter was broken. But after many tries and different meters going back and forth it, it turned out to be so…..how a ph down agent can lower ppm’s is a head scratcher.
One last thing…..I called Fox Farms and got a very young and new rep on the phone. The one bit of concrete info she was able to give me was that the 70/30 buffered coco is buffered to 6.3-6.8…..
I guess that’s nice to know but I didn’t know how to apply it…..I mean does that mean I should ph my inputs to that range??
I think I’ll stick to what has gotten me this far into the grow….which is keeping it close to 6.0.
Each of the strains is different and I’ve seen a clear difference in the appetites of all 3. I think I’d grow them all again, particularly the Amnesia. And I’ll know more about dialing in the amendments and top dressings.
Thanks for the input.

how a ph down agent can lower ppm’s is a head scratcher.
What may be happening is that some of the Ca is dropping out of solution, just a possibility.

I mean does that mean I should ph my inputs to that range??
No, you'll be fine doing what you've been doing The nutrients are still available at the 6.3-6.8 PH (a little less at 6.8), when you add the PHed water at 6.0 the roots will grab what they need very quickly, then the soil will slowly buffer what's left.

Thanks to all….cheers.
Man those lady's are very pretty nice.job 👊🤙

Man those lady's are very pretty nice.job 👊🤙
Yeah it’s my first try with coco. I didn’t want the job of having to water every day or even multiple times per day. So I used dry organic amendments and hoped for the best.
You wouldn’t believe the naysayers who said coco and dry time release ferts did not do well together. Well I’ve never had plants grow as fast. It blew my mind.
Then those same folks said that it was easy to get a plant through veg and my problems would start once they got into flowering.
This Thursday will be 8 weeks of 12/12 and other than a little fading and a spot here and there, they’ve done well by my standards.
My biggest concern is the Jack Herer plant is racing to the finish line. I think she could be done in 3 weeks. I figured the weather here in Va would be cooler by now and it’s not. So drying it could be a challenge. My basement cellar is perfect in the winter but too hot now.
I could dry in the room where the grow closet is located but unless it cools off it’s impossible to keep a steady temp low enough for a long slow dry.
I may be looking into buying a portable A/C unit.

I figured the weather here in Va would be cooler by now and it’s not. So drying it could be a challenge. My basement cellar is perfect in the winter but too hot now.
I could dry in the room where the grow closet is located but unless it cools off it’s impossible to keep a steady temp low enough for a long slow dry.
Have you thought about putting the harvest into a brown paper bag like from supermarkets and then putting that into the fridge. It will dry the buds slower than warm air in the basement. Kinda a slow steady drying process. It takes some getting used to but it is easy to control how dry the harvest gets.

You will be able to put one plant per bag so it will be easy to keep them separate instead of mixed up.

Have you thought about putting the harvest into a brown paper bag like from supermarkets and then putting that into the fridge. It will dry the buds slower than warm air in the basement. Kinda a slow steady drying process. It takes some getting used to but it is easy to control how dry the harvest gets.

You will be able to put one plant per bag so it will be easy to keep them separate instead of mixed up.
Slower it drys better it will be

Yeah it’s my first try with coco. I didn’t want the job of having to water every day or even multiple times per day. So I used dry organic amendments and hoped for the best.
You wouldn’t believe the naysayers who said coco and dry time release ferts did not do well together. Well I’ve never had plants grow as fast. It blew my mind.
Then those same folks said that it was easy to get a plant through veg and my problems would start once they got into flowering.
This Thursday will be 8 weeks of 12/12 and other than a little fading and a spot here and there, they’ve done well by my standards.
My biggest concern is the Jack Herer plant is racing to the finish line. I think she could be done in 3 weeks. I figured the weather here in Va would be cooler by now and it’s not. So drying it could be a challenge. My basement cellar is perfect in the winter but too hot now.
Nice portable ac/heater at home cheapo $628

20220814_123725.jpg

Back
Top Bottom