Can someone explain 1k Watt HPS and MH

corinth

So i always use 1k hps bulbs not de but normal in air cooled hoods. My understanding was to use the hps in flower for the red spectrum and use a blue spectrum in vege . Im using like 3 of those hydrofarms aggrobrites the 4 ft 8 bulbs x3 basically so 3 four foot lights for vege and 2 hps 1k hps for flower the hortlilux bulbs. For my square footage and ceiling height i bet i could go double ended 1k hps bulbs and get alot more bang for my buck on my power bill even considering its no price difference but another 30% possible light efficiency. My question is. Should i use 1 metal hylide bulb and 1 hps bulb? Do all the plants need to be near both bulbs as in the 12-36in rule of thumb with the hps? Will my garden benefit from using a mixture of dual light spectrums. I believe my hort bulbs got some blue in their not much but it has me wondering would replacing 1 light for the other in flower have a profound impact on yield and overall health of a garden in flower? Im even debating getting mars hydro leds just from hear say.. but im just trying to grow in my hobby here . Any suggestions or info would be utlized and appreciated. My grow space is like 14 long 10 wide 11 high insulated for flower.

There was an experiment done years ago. Results were, yes, you tend to see internodal distances being somewhat shorter when using metal halide lighting during the growth phase - but yield will be somewhat higher if you use high pressure sodium lighting from day one.

As with all things in this universe, "YMMV" applies.

Yea i was thinking maybe a hps light for vege or mh just so it grows more dense maybe even the stalks im guessing benefit from hid so when they do goto flower they may be more stronger to support the bud growth more efficiently

I see people using leds like kind led or mars hydro. For added light im thinking of adding either some decent leds or maybe 2 more 600 watt mg bupbs

I see people using leds like kind led or mars hydro. For added light im thinking of adding either some decent leds or maybe 2 more 600 watt mg bupbs
I'd go with a few more 600w MH/HPS fixtures if I were you, with a digital ballast you can use either bulb in the same fixture for veg or flower!

I've got a couple Mars Hydro SP-150 products an an adjustable-wattage HID ballast. If I could afford the electricity, I'd like to run a 250-watt high pressure sodium bulb in the middle of the tent with the SPs on either side, for when I flower photoperiodic strains and have to cut the lighting hours back to 12/day. I'm thinking the additional gross light amount AND the more "full" spectrum would help things out. Plus, it would lower the overall average color temperature of the lighting a good bit

I've got a couple Mars Hydro SP-150 products an an adjustable-wattage HID ballast. If I could afford the electricity, I'd like to run a 250-watt high pressure sodium bulb in the middle of the tent with the SPs on either side, for when I flower photoperiodic strains and have to cut the lighting hours back to 12/day. I'm thinking the additional gross light amount AND the more "full" spectrum would help things out. Plus, it would lower the overall average color temperature of the lighting a good bit
I didnt know leds had a seperate balast. The way i was hoping i could try would be to throw 4 lights total 2 hps 2 mh trying around 600 watt each in a 14 ft long 10 ft wide by 11 high room. My question is say i have those 4 lights and say like 3 or so plants under each. If i have a hps in 1 area but 4 ft away theres a mh , would the plants from the hps that are 4 ft away from the mh still benefit from the hps spectrum and vice versa? Just trimmed some stuff kinda looks cool its by no means top shelf though heh but its not bad i just toled a bowl of each and each had its own unique taste and smell. Kinda cool

Attachments

• 15879480344253207303257135657178.jpg
    15879480344253207303257135657178.jpg
    783.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 15879480826785634559170775839670.jpg
    15879480826785634559170775839670.jpg
    679.8 KB · Views: 136
The way i was hoping i could try would be to throw 4 lights total 2 hps 2 mh trying around 600 watt each in a 14 ft long 10 ft wide by 11 high room. My question is say i have those 4 lights and say like 3 or so plants under each. If i have a hps in 1 area but 4 ft away theres a mh , would the plants from the hps that are 4 ft away from the mh still benefit from the hps spectrum and vice versa?

Sure, yes, in theory - but you're going to want a lot more light. Or a lot less area to illuminate. That' 140 square feet.

Itd be reasonable to get 4 of those lights in their iunno how i would do all those hoods but with de set ups id prolly only need 2 de right ? Cause my lights sit prolly anywhere from 4 to 5 ft high at times. Hopefully ill start throwing these clones in sooner . So theyll flower in smaller trees im guessin.

If those 1k hortilux bulbs are more then 3 ft away from plant canopy its not gonna preform satisfactory? I plan on getting a light meter soon i have no idea what to get though hopefully some handheld thermometer type deal.

So im deciding to buy 2 more lights. My rooms like 12 ft long by 8 wide by 11 high. Im using 2 1k hps air cooled hoods now. So i wanna add 2 more lights but now im realizing 600 watt is more efficient so im using 2k watts now if i use 4 600s thatd only be 2400 watts. I can prolly goto 3k watts no problem. So im wondering about getting 2 de 1k lights either hos or if they make those in mh . I wanna switch it up in their a bit get some spectrum goin. Im curious to how much heat 2 1k de put out. I run a built in ac in their in the summer anyways. Im sure it could cool down the temps if it was only 10 or so degrees more.im looking at vivosuns de set ups on amazon right now i dont think they come with a bulb. Cant really use leds unless i wanna spend 1k on some good ones think i see em for like 1700 think its gavitas or something. Hoping to spend round 6 700 for 2 new lights tops lol.

You guys were talking about mixing lights. I used to use 2 400watt Black Dogs and a CMH together with great success.

The first set of pictures is 4 King Tut. The plants went apey, cool colas. They did OK at 20oz

This is Lemon Skunk. 2 plants, that couldn't look and act more different, but they said its lemon Skunk. The 2 together did 27oz. There are more facets to the success of this grow than the lights, which we can discuss if you like, but im a firm believer that the differing lights have a symbiotic relationship.

Iam using a XXL double ended HPS and the CMH right now. I hate the HPS. Its not as affective as some of the LEDs I've used in the past. The CMH on the other hand is a pure white light, with a spectrum thats noticeably different... you can read it on the plants. BUT, you still have to pay for bulbs, which is the perfect arguement for saving your money and buying LEDs. Chilled just came out with a very interesting set of fixtures... i think they are called their DIY line. Very cool stuff from a great brand. Theres QBoards, I've never heard anything bad about them. Personally, I would never go with Budget LED when Horticulture Lighting Group (real QBoards) are just a bit more if you're looking at the smaller fixtures. Their larger fixture are quite a bit more... but proven.

I like LEDs. I sold my Black Dogs while on a break to feed another addiction... home stereos. I needed new speakers. And ill never buy them again. They are insanely expensive. But they kick ass. You can use a mogul socket HPS and grow great flower, but you have buy bulbs, step up to double ended... expensive bulbs. CMH has the same issue, expensive bulbs.
Hope this made sense... went off on a rant.

So im deciding to buy 2 more lights. My rooms like 12 ft long by 8 wide by 11 high. Im using 2 1k hps air cooled hoods now. So i wanna add 2 more lights but now im realizing 600 watt is more efficient so im using 2k watts now if i use 4 600s thatd only be 2400 watts. I can prolly goto 3k watts no problem. So im wondering about getting 2 de 1k lights either hos or if they make those in mh . I wanna switch it up in their a bit get some spectrum goin. Im curious to how much heat 2 1k de put out. I run a built in ac in their in the summer anyways. Im sure it could cool down the temps if it was only 10 or so degrees more.im looking at vivosuns de set ups on amazon right now i dont think they come with a bulb. Cant really use leds unless i wanna spend 1k on some good ones think i see em for like 1700 think its gavitas or something. Hoping to spend round 6 700 for 2 new lights tops lol.
Sounds like bulbs are for you. I dont know much about some of the less expensive LEDs. You might be able to build 4 Qboards, but single boards aren't known for a large footprint, no competition to a large HPS.

Im just gonna shut my mouth talking bad aboit leds now compared to hps. I just cant wrap my head around leds. I see some gavitas sell for 1700 here . 6x6 area i guess. I got 2 hps 1ks and 2 more in my car trunk. Ive yet to see a bud so big like that stltoed . I imagine you need really good leds to do all that. My hps isnt getting buds like u got brother lol..

I was about to buy 1 mh bulb to switch up 3 hps 1 mh. Ill probally go get that 1 mh. So 4 lights in my room soon. Im wanting to get some mh in their just for overall health what do u guys think about adding 1 mh in with 3 hps bulbs.?

Back
Top Bottom