Can you buy any form of Marijuana in India?

Only a couple Indian members here that I know of.
I haven't been to India for ages so I don't know what the current state of legality is, but my guess is it's still something that can get you in big legal trouble in most if not all of the country. In my experience bribes in India for cannabis cases are extremely high compared to the bribes in most of the rest of Asia, for some reason. Most police officers are corrupt and crooked. And Indian prison is really not a place you want to end up. Don't get caught.

The actual situation in the ground is a strange contradiction. But India is a country full of contradictions I guess. Ganja is very prevalent, and deeply ingrained in the culture and spirituality of the country. In several places there are government bhang shops that sell ganja and sometimes opium. For 'spiritual and religious use' I believe. I've bought at a few of them. I hung around Puri for a while and have good memories of the shop there. Also Jaisalmer had a bhang shop. I forget where else. The herb quality was very low at those shops. It generally is everywhere...
Many restaurants sell bhang concoctions, like bhang lassis, chai, or sweets. Bhang is basically a green sludge of blended up weed. Prepare to go to the moon!
A lot of the time I would buy off of sadhus, wandering 'holy men', or friends of acquaintances. Or from whoever I felt might be trustworthy. Trustworthy is a very tough call in that county - but I never got in trouble in the two years I was there. And I never heard of anyone I personally knew getting in trouble for cannabis.
Hash (charas) is widely available especially in the north and also generally low quality.
I found better quality herb and hash in the far north, in Himachal and in Kashmir where more of it is produced. It's also easy to buy in Varanasi because of all the temples and spiritual activity.
When in doubt looking for a place to smoke, go to a Shiva temple and smoke there. With the utmost respect - of course. For religious reasons it's extremely unlikely that anyone will bother you there, since Shiva and ganja have a long history together.
There are also probably lots of cannabis sources serving the westerners in touristy places like Goa. I avoided tourists as much as possible but I think that tourist-weed equation is probably true in most of the world.

You could try asking this question of @Jaga. He's a super great guy and the only guy with Indian roots who I can think of on the forum at the moment, and will obviously know about a billion times as much as I do.

My ramblings come from experience merely as a clueless traveller.

In general I think the answer to your question is 'yes, in many places, but don't get caught'. Not all that different from most places now that I think about it, but potentially bad consequences if you do.

While not exactly legal you can buy it most anywhere if you use common sense. Most street police just look the other way at it, they are after heroin and meth which they consider a big problem in their country. I was in India last year for a vacation and I tell you that as a sixty year old man I smoked Marijuana and hashish from one state thru another. India is the best country for a American to visit as a Cannatoutist in the World.

RD

Back
Top Bottom