Can you harvest & cure without a dehumidifier?

ZayWill10

I’m currently ready to harvest 1 of 3 of my plants, but I’m curious if they’re are other alternatives to keep the environment suitable for drying/curing, other than a dehumidifier. I looked all around town and I’m gonna have to order one online.

So until I get a dehumidifier in the mail, is there any alternatives for dry/curing?

Thanks in advance!

try the dr ziggy's low and slow refrigerator dry.

how humid are you ? do you know the rh % ?
i have the exact opposite hassle, and have a hard time imagining having to pull humidity out.

my stuff hang dried a bit too fast even at 55% rh last time.

try the dr ziggy's low and slow refrigerator dry.

how humid are you ? do you know the rh % ?
i have the exact opposite hassle, and have a hard time imagining having to pull humidity out.

my stuff hang dried a bit too fast even at 55% rh last time.
My RH is high (around 65-75) due to the small space I’m working with and the light fixture I’ve got running (150 watt HPS).

Currently trying to get a small enough dehumidifier to fit snugly in a 2x2x4.

People make it more complicated than need be. Are there optimal conditions for optimal finished product? Does it affect anything overall or anything you can even notice? Maybe and maybe not. I mean yes you can have it too damp and it can mold on you if it dries way too slow or if it dries way too fast can turn to dust, but those are extremes and there are ways to control how fast it dries, be it ventilation/temps/where or how you hang it (more or less air/temps/open or closed space). I don't control the temps or humidity, had things dry too fast or slower than I wanted but never had problems in the extreme and never had anything turn out "bad". So either I'm just lucky or some folks a bit too nit picky on being "optimal", as there is about 8000 other variables in there too ;)

People make it more complicated than need be. Are there optimal conditions for optimal finished product? Does it affect anything overall or anything you can even notice? Maybe and maybe not. I mean yes you can have it too damp and it can mold on you if it dries way too slow or if it dries way too fast can turn to dust, but those are extremes and there are ways to control how fast it dries, be it ventilation/temps/where or how you hang it (more or less air/temps/open or closed space). I don't control the temps or humidity, had things dry too fast or slower than I wanted but never had problems in the extreme and never had anything turn out "bad". So either I'm just lucky or some folks a bit too nit picky on being "optimal", as there is about 8000 other variables in there too ;)

That does make me feel a little bit better to know that I may just be over exaggerating a bit.

So would you say just hang it in front of a nice blowing fan, and they should be fine?

I’m actually interested in doing a Washed Buds VS an unwashed bud test. Is there a particularly safer way to go about washing buds?

^this right here ^

i don't try create perfect drying conditions either. nor perfect growing conditions.
kinda just deal with what i'm given.

My RH is high (around 65-75) due to the small space I’m working with and the light fixture I’ve got running (150 watt HPS).

Currently trying to get a small enough dehumidifier to fit snugly in a 2x2x4.

is that with the plants currently in it ? i'd just chop, hang in the tent and not worry. rh is always higher with living plants. make sure the light is off when drying.

Hang plants upside down in your growing tent with the light off. Keep tent parameters same as if you had liveing plants "dont do anything special" have a fan blowing for circulation only, dont have it blow directly on buds. After 3 to 9 days depending on your setup, the stems of the plants will "snap" or buds will feel dry. Put buds only inside jars and burb daily for 3 weeks, then burb every 3 days for 2 weeks. Then burb weekly for 30 days. Then you got cured cannabis. Imo

That does make me feel a little bit better to know that I may just be over exaggerating a bit.

So would you say just hang it in front of a nice blowing fan, and they should be fine?

I’m actually interested in doing a Washed Buds VS an unwashed bud test. Is there a particularly safer way to go about washing buds?

You want moving air but not directly on it or it will dry too fast and unevenly (same as your plants indirect airflow is better than constant direct wind). Washing/not washing one of those things you will find folks with strong opinions on both ends of the spectrum (like many things with growing), there is a whole big thread somewhere with the process of it if you choose to do so. Same as some folks feel in the dark is best or only way to do it, personally I just don't do it in direct light, but I have a bigger space so can hang dry on back wall of my shed but I almost always have something still going in my grow area so a mix of lights off and indirect lighting. And again never had anything turn out bad, may not be optimal but I haven't noticed any difference in quality of stuff that dried faster than I liked (3 days) and stuff that took longer than I liked (10 days) due to the conditions in my shed (I aim for 5-7 days hang time then into jars and burp until I hit my 60% RH in jars).

yeah I'm still working on my first pot of coffee ;) :rofl: so kinda half arsed awake still :rofl:
i haven't had the darn meds today at all yet. so i'm severely compromised myself ..:rofl:

My preference is 55-60% humidity at 69-70 degrees.
It's easy to get and maintain that environment so why not have perfect drying conditions?
The drying and curing is just as important as the growing.

Over 70% humidity and cooler than 65 you risk mold.
Under 50% humidity and warmer than 70 and you risk the buds tasting like hay for several months.

If you cant fully control it, it's best to shoot for less humidity and warmer.
Better to have it dry faster and taste so-so than to destroy the whole crop with mold.

My last harvest I did the bud wash for all but 2 of my 8 strains because I sort of harvested them from the plant I didn’t water for well over a week. I did it with my Black Domina and I think Gelat.OG plants and will admit the smoke is a bit harsher compare to the other 6 strains I did wash. I had also grown Black Domina in my first grow and did wash that harvest. They were same Sensi Seeds for each grow but the washed ones I think turned out better overall. I also did the paper bag drying method for my 2nd harvest because my drying rack in the tent for my first harvest was uneven. I had no room and was still harvesting when I gave the chop to some of my plants. I will admit that I really liked the paper bag method a lot. No mold, even drying and only needed 4-5 days before it was sampling time. I did so by hanging them up in my basement with a dehumidifier present but left around 60-65% RH. Would fluctuate higher with the amount of laundry being washed/dried down there. So I highly recommend paper bagging your harvest and see if you like it before plants 2&3 get the chop. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with the end results

Hang plants upside down in your growing tent with the light off. Keep tent parameters same as if you had liveing plants "dont do anything special" have a fan blowing for circulation only, dont have it blow directly on buds. After 3 to 9 days depending on your setup, the stems of the plants will "snap" or buds will feel dry. Put buds only inside jars and burb daily for 3 weeks, then burb every 3 days for 2 weeks. Then burb weekly for 30 days. Then you got cured cannabis. Imo
Nine weeks after harvest?

My preference is 55-60% humidity at 69-70 degrees.
It's easy to get and maintain that environment so why not have perfect drying conditions?
The drying and curing is just as important as the growing.

Over 70% humidity and cooler than 65 you risk mold.
Under 50% humidity and warmer than 70 and you risk the buds tasting like hay for several months.

If you cant fully control it, it's best to shoot for less humidity and warmer.
Better to have it dry faster and taste so-so than to destroy the whole crop with mold.
hi I have a sealed room with a/c and dehumidifier I can set the a/c to 70 and the humidity 55, so how do I know when the bud is ready for the final trim. thanks

you wanna jar it up when the bud dries to about 60% rh (62 is ideal )
you have great conditions. plants should hang in a 7 - 10 day window. the rest is experience mostly.

ok plants hanging for 5.5 days. buds are extremely dry humidity has settled to around 50-55%, the stalks arent at the crack when you bend them stage but are still supple. I removed all the plants from the hanging racks and have placed them in plastic garbage bins with the lids on. I'm hoping the moisture left in the stems will rehydrate the buds. So what did I do wrong? In the past ive left them hanging until the buds were still a little damp, trimmed them, then left the buds to dry out further on drying racks, once they felt near right Ive placed them in garbage bins and burped them until I felt happy with the bud. I never had a dehumidifier before to control humidity, so I thought I would try drying the way the rest of you appear to do it. thanks john

Back
Top Bottom