Can you reuse coco coir?

mamak420

I've read that you can use it up to 3 times. is this true? also, what is the best/cheapest brand? I don't mind the bricks if they are cheaper but is one better than another? and why wouldn't you be able to use it a 4th or 5th time?

Hiya buddy, I've heard this 3x rule aswell. I grow in Coco and yes you can definately re-use it after a good clean. I'm currently on the second grow with the same batch.
Ive got no idea of the science behind it so I'm finding out for myself and it's definately not giving me any jip so far.
I've heard the Coco deteriorates due to the salts in the nutes, which sounds logical enough. If that happened there would be less oxygen to the roots and a denser media which could cause any amount of problems but... None so far.

You are probably rolling dice. You will have rotting root material from your previous grow which will rot, and tie up nutes. Also any pathogens will carry over. There are many reasons why farmers rotate crops.
See I thought the dead roots would be a killer too mate but a couple more experienced guys told me they'd been going 5 or 6 runs with no issues.
Definately seems like a gamble now that I think about it but I'll give almost anything a go when people say you can't do it. Currently experimenting to see how long I can actually go between Res changes and without using bacteria or a sterile agent. Record so far was about 6 weeks before the gunge appeared. Got a tiny bit of sm-90 there in my ration cupboard so Instant fix anyway. Growing gets a bit boring sometimes. Gotta find ways to keep myself entertained lol.
Currently even considering a couple of organic plants. Now that is dangerous!
Not had a single bug in 4 years of hydro growing so I'll go fuckin spare if end up infested lol.

See I thought the dead roots would be a killer too mate but a couple more experienced guys told me they'd been going 5 or 6 runs with no issues.
Definately seems like a gamble now that I think about it but I'll give almost anything a go when people say you can't do it. Currently experimenting to see how long I can actually go between Res changes and without using bacteria or a sterile agent. Record so far was about 6 weeks before the gunge appeared. Got a tiny bit of sm-90 there in my ration cupboard so Instant fix anyway. Growing gets a bit boring sometimes. Gotta find ways to keep myself entertained lol.
Currently even considering a couple of organic plants. Now that is dangerous!
Not had a single bug in 4 years of hydro growing so I'll go fuckin spare if end up infested lol.
With my luck, the plants would melt in the 7th week of flower. There's just too much potential down side for the cost of a little media. I grow indoors in a peat/perlite hydro media and when done add it to my greenhouse soil as an amendment where I will grow next year..

There's just too much potential down side for the cost of a little media.
Does anybody know where to get the coco coir really cheap? I haven't had a chance to look locally yet.

Also @Barney86 (cause I know you like a bargain) ;-)

@mamak420 are you in uk? If so you can get blocks of coco in poundland.
1 block equal 10 litres of media.
Furra quid...
And since its small blocks you can grab a couple here n there and its barely a weight...
Lot more convenient to get it delivered etc I know but its a 3rd the price of higher end prepped stuff; not sure how it performs though... (they also do pk boosters if you wanna gamble on a plant... !)

Awww Sheeeeeit...
Sorry @mamak420 not helpful.

Also @Barney86 (cause I know you like a bargain) ;-)

@mamak420 are you in uk? If so you can get blocks of coco in poundland.
1 block equal 10 litres of media.
Furra quid...
And since its small blocks you can grab a couple here n there and its barely a weight...
Lot more convenient to get it delivered etc I know but its a 3rd the price of higher end prepped stuff; not sure how it performs though... (they also do pk boosters if you wanna gamble on a plant... !)
Haha ya cheeky bugger....as if I wouldn't know where to get it for a quid :ganjamon:
I can get anythin for a quid mate, even 2 quid lol.

Buying slabs of coco, if I don't use all of it can I just let the rest dry out to use later when I up-pot?

coco is so cheap..
a 50l bag is less than 15quid..
i binned my last lot and started with fresh lol
will do the same again if i stay coco.
i wanna go los, and found some great soil but its £££ and like barney said.. i aint feeling the pests indoors lol i hate bugs.. predator colonies could be fun though lol i like ladybirds

coco is so cheap..
a 50l bag is less than 15quid..
i binned my last lot and started with fresh lol
will do the same again if i stay coco.
i wanna go los, and found some great soil but its £££ and like barney said.. i aint feeling the pests indoors lol i hate bugs.. predator colonies could be fun though lol i like ladybirds
That's the one advantage I've got to not having a tent in my attic. Got an absolute army of massive spiders up there. Must just eat eachother though cos apart from queen wasps every march I've never seen anything else for them. My old man got me a few hundred oh wow what the fuck. When I type ladybu g that pops up instead. The only word that's ever happened with! Haha how bizzare. But yeah he got me some and within a month they'd all got out the vents. Bit of anti climaxbut hey it's only half 8. Give me time to warm up lol
(Edit) huh? The picture never came up. It shows as a wee picture on my phone when I type the word. Ah well. Pointless story that was :)

lol no idea wtf u goin on about?? haha
need more coffee??
lol
i found some spiders a while back, rampage killed em all in fear of getting spider mites..

i was informed after they arent related.. spiders are or friends... lol
idiot.
mehh i duno
coco is easy, but long, daily watering does my nut.. so restricting and time consuming lol

lol no idea wtf u goin on about?? haha
need more coffee??
lol
i found some spiders a while back, rampage killed em all in fear of getting spider mites..

i was informed after they arent related.. spiders are or friends... lol
idiot.
mehh i duno
coco is easy, but long, daily watering does my nut.. so restricting and time consuming lol
Yeah that done my head in too mate so I just sat by 10L fabrics into a 4inch till tub and water till it's full. Can go 2 days without feeding and zero waste. Only my second time trying it this way but they're both keeping up with my NFT plants no worries. Just started bloom though so we'll see if it really works soon enough :)

Yeah that done my head in too mate so I just sat by 10L fabrics into a 4inch till tub and water till it's full. Can go 2 days without feeding and zero waste. Only my second time trying it this way but they're both keeping up with my NFT plants no worries. Just started bloom though so we'll see if it really works soon enough :)
hmm literally just sat the pots in the liquid and let them suck it up?
and havent seen anything of salt build ups or root rot?
you aerating it?
pics please
lol

I was always told to rinse the coco out, let it dry then run some cannazym through it to dampen it up then seal the bag, if never had no problems in the entire time.

Although if I ran plants that ended up with N problems I just ended up chucking it.

Back
Top Bottom