Can you use cheese cloth instead of felt root cloth?

rizzlar18

Hi guys, I'm wondering if you can use cheese cloth instead of felt root cloth, any information on this would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance.
rizzlar

Was going to use it in the bottom of a grow bed where you place it on top of chicken wire over a layer of clay pebbles

Well if its purpose to just to keep soil from settling down into your pebbles, then yes you could use it. Just be aware though that cheese cloth, if I am not mistaken, is a natural fiber and will break down over time, where as felts and landscape fabrics are synthetics designed for long term use.

It's purpose is to allow air to get to the roots as far as I know, I've never tried this method before, the site I found the flower beds method on says to use felt root cloth but I can't find it anywhere near where I live, but I did come across a site that says the two cloths are the same

Another alternative you may use is landscape fabric. Its a thin woven fabric used around shrubs and plants before covering with mulch. Its intended to keep weeds from growing up around your plants and is available in most hardware stores in North America, I assume it probably would be available in Ireland as well.

If its just to allow the passage of air and water, it will work. Its main purpose is to limit weed seedlings ability to poke their heads up while still allowing your plants to get the water and air that they need in the soil. When used for its intended purpose, it needs a good covering of mulch to block sunlight or the weeds will still find their way up through it.

It can be used for DIY grow bags as well but size would be limited due to its very thin construction. For all intents and purposes, landscape fabric is a felt, same as what we use here for road construction and silt barriers, just ultra light weight.

Cheers bud, might end up having to go with that, this backward little country of ours is still playing catch up with a lot of things ha

LOL no worries mate

That's one of the great things about this site. Members come from all over the world and all walks of life. My back ground is construction and engineering. The products I used, and things I have done, have little to do with plants but much can be adapted to suit grower needs LOL

Very true, I insulate pipes myself so would have a similar background to a degree, not sure what use I could get out of pipe lagging though, lol

Hi guys, I'm wondering if you can use cheese cloth instead of felt root cloth, any information on this would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance.
rizzlar

Hugs :hug:

Cheese cloth is mostly cotton and will break down in 6-8 weeks.

Use a synthetic cloth like felt, polyester or any kind of mesh fabric. If the grow area is small, you can also use plastic canvas.

Do not use tricoderma in the soil if you use any sort of fabric. Tricoderma is good for crowding out other fungi in the root zone, but will also break down fabrics, including synthetics.

Thanks for that cannabelle, haven't tried this method before so the more info I can get the better as I want to get it right first time round

Back
Top Bottom