Canada: Medical Marijuana Shop Faces Closure Just Weeks After Opening

Jacob Redmond

A medical marijuana shop in Winnipeg could be forced to close its doors, but a Winnipeg city councillor says that's the wrong approach.

Your Medical Marijuana Headquarters opened on July 1.

Owner Glenn Price said police have been in this week warning him and his customers that they could face arrest. Winnipeg police won't comment but say an investigation is ongoing.

The federal government said stores like this are breaking the law.

But Vancouver is regulating them and Coun. Ross Eadie said Winnipeg should do the same.

Eadie, the Mynarksi representative, said it's high time the city govern these shops because there is no zoning rule or bylaw precluding them from operating.

"We have to look at what's happening and from a city perspective I want to be able to control where they're doing this, because opening up by a school is not appropriate," said Eadie.

15327.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Medical marijuana shop faces closure just weeks after opening | CTV Winnipeg News
Author: Jeff Keele
Photo Credit: John Woods
Website: CTV Winnipeg | Breaking News - Weather, Sports and Entertainment News

I can understand concerns for protecting children, but zoning medical marijuana shops should be equivalent to whatever zoning laws exist for pharmacies. Access to medicine should be as easy as access to banking services and conventional pharmacies. We are talking about medicine which help both children and adults cope with debilitating illnesses like MS, epilepsy, crippling pain, and crippling anxiety disorders. For elderly patients, accessibility to medication is of utmost importance as many elder patients require medical marijuana for alleviating severe joint pain and other medical issues.

Remember the budding entrepreneur girl-scout who sold lots of cookies near a recreational pot shop in Colorado. That was as safe as girl-scouts selling cookies in front of a pharmacy or near a shopping mall. The biggest safety issue I can see is the same issue sneaker heads have with snagging the latest cool swoosh foot gear or my grandmother coming out of a bank after cashing her social security check at the beginning of the month. In that case, the police should be patrolling areas frequented by young thugs from a nearby school to protect Nike, Walgreens, bank or medical marihuana patrons alike.

Back
Top Bottom