Canada - Motion Calls For Taxation Of Legal Marijuana

Hash

Ottawa - Delegates to the Liberal party convention next month will debate a motion to legalize and tax marijuana sales, saying it would bring in billions in new tax revenue. Parliament is already debating legislation to decriminalize marijuana, but a resolution by Alberta Liberals would go much further. It would tax the proceeds of legalized pot sales, which the resolution says would bring in $3 billion in revenue each year.

"Legalizing marijuana would be a serious blow to drug dealers and organized crime financially," says the resolution for the March 5-6 gathering.

"Resolved that a portion of these tax revenues be used to educate youth against drug use and to provide treatment for those who are adversely affected by use of marijuana."

It's just one of dozens of policy proposals obtained by The Canadian Press that will be debated by delegates to the Ottawa convention.

Another resolution, from British Columbia, asks for stiffer sentences for those involved in marijuana grow-ops. Meanwhile, a party group called the Senior Liberals Commission is asking delegates to urge the government to enact legislation to respect "alternative forms of social lifestyle," but to not alter the definition of marriage.

But Liberal youth activists are working on a campaign called "It's the Charter, Stupid," with rallies and demonstrations to lobby delegates to support the government's same-sex marriage legislation before Parliament.

Some resolutions will be chosen as priority issues and will automatically be included for a vote by all delegates. Others must make it through debate in a workshop in order to be presented for approval or defeat by all delegates.

Source: Winnipeg Free Press (CN MB)
Copyright: 2005 Winnipeg Free Press
Website: Winnipeg Free Press – Breaking News, Sports, Manitoba, Canada

Stoned Stoner said:
yea, but i bet weed would still be ridiculously expensive...probably even more so with the taxing
No, don't count on it...
Why would it?

Stoned Stoner said:
well i'm basing it on my experience with legal marijuana...i get mine from the cali clubs and it's pretty much standard prices
It is still illegal... lol...
If it were fully legal then everyone would be producing it without limit on number... no risk of federal intervention... basically every adult stoner would start growing, I mean, why not?

Back
Top Bottom