Canadian Seed Banks

I have had good experiences with Crop King, True North Seed Bank, and Montreal seeds. Quick shipping and quality products.
I would avoid using GTASB.

Crap king seeds is no longer a sponsor for a reason

I'd check other sponsors on the list

Seedsman ships everywhere and have most all the top breeders seeds

sure, blame canada for everything,, geez..

I’d say go with Seedsman as well. When they had their Halloween promo last year I made first order with them. Even with the postal service disruption I got my discrete order shipped to my house near Toronto in just one week. Good prices, free seeds and promos. Will be doing another order closer to 4/20 timeframe and hope for a Halloween promo like bundle again for the high holy day

I have also ordered seeds from seeds man with good results. I did not include them as they are not Canadian.
When I started out I was more than a bit intimidated by the thought of ordering seeds from Europe so I was looking for something local.
I understand about our sponsors and do try to use them where possible but sometimes in Canada I feel we get taken advantage of

...but sometimes in Canada I feel we get taken advantage of

That’s normalish, seeds are incredibly cheap to produce. I just try not to think that way. I can get lots of unknown seeds for almost free and sometimes hit the lotto. I can also pay someone with a long and established history of selling quality seeds for their product. Are they capitalizing on their position, sure. I don’t work for free either. So I have freeish options, iffy options, or name brand options. Each has pros and cons. It’s all about what I want to deal with, so no advantage is really taken. Time, money and curiosity all play a role.

When I go gamble, I’m paying for the good time. If I happen to win, It just means I had a really really good time.

That’s normalish, seeds are incredibly cheap to produce. I just try not to think that way. I can get lots of unknown seeds for almost free and sometimes hit the lotto. I can also pay someone with a long and established history of selling quality seeds for their product. Are they capitalizing on their position, sure. I don’t work for free either. So I have freeish options, iffy options, or name brand options. Each has pros and cons. It’s all about what I want to deal with, so no advantage is really taken. Time, money and curiosity all play a role.

When I go gamble, I’m paying for the good time. If I happen to win, It just means I had a really really good time.

I would agree with you an extent about cost. I can make seeds with a $10 bottle of colloidal silver and a season’s worth of nutrients and electric costs. But on the scale of Seedsman, you have to also factor in staffing, taxes, capitol expenses, storage, possible government fees (I don’t know how Spain regulates the cannabis industry) and development costs for strains. Plus purchase and distribution costs for the seed bank to the strain creators.

It’s one of those odd situations where economy of scale doesn’t necessarily apply in the direct fashion you would think.

But I’m with you in that I’m happy to throw my business to someone to provide me with dependable genetics. I value the business that Seedsman does, they don’t gouge on prices, shipping is excellent, and I get what I pay for. I’m happy to suppose that service. :)

I probably worded that poorly, I actually find seeds are pretty reasonable if you look for deals and stick with good genetics. It actually referred to a different sponsor.

Which, for all we know, might simply be that they didn't renew their sponsorship agreement and send another check, lol. If you have more specific information, I'd love to "hear" it.

I have read of miscellaneous issues, though. I've read that they buy their seeds wholesale from the actual breeder(s) - but I don't know whether this is true. It would explain why there have been... delays, I suppose, between someone discovering an issue and that issue being rectified (or even acknowledged) - one almost got the impression at times that a person would report an issue, the company would then have to report said issue to someone else, then wait on an explanation (or a new shipment of seeds), and only then be able to give redress to the customer.

Come to think of it... While I don't know if I would go so far as to refer to the company as "Crap King," lol, I couldn't really recommend it, either. I don't find myself thinking of CKS as a top-shelf brand, yet their seeds aren't especially cheap - meanwhile, Homegrown Fantaseeds and other "value" brands' seeds are cheap as chips (and some of HF's strains are said to be at least pretty good). One of those "delays between report of an issue and rectifying the issue" that I mentioned caused quite a few people to (apparently?) end up with Sour Jack growing in their cannabis gardens instead of Candy Cane Auto - which must have really sucked for some folks, because Sour Jack isn't an autoflowering strain :rofl:. I actually ended up with one of those seeds (thank you, Susan!), and will probably end up trying to grow it late this year or Spring, 2020, because a lot of people seemed to like the bud from those plants - they just weren't best pleased upon learning that their autoflowering seeds... weren't; probably a real bummer if someone planted them in their vegetative-growth phase tent or had chosen to grow autoflowering strains in order to make up for relatively weak lights by running them 18 or more hours per day in the flowering phase instead of 12.

I only dealt directly with the company once. I was initially impressed with the QUICK delivery. They managed this by using a domestic reshipper (I'm one of your Southern neighbors ;) ). In addition to providing a much faster delivery, this of course completely bypasses Customs, at least on a per-order basis. And that's a really good thing - because their <BLEEPing> "stealth" shipping model was a joke, and not one that I considered especially funny at the time. I won't get into the specifics of the thing (as I never discuss specifics in regards to stealth or even "stealth" delivery), but the SOB who packaged my order might as well have written "Contraband/forbidden contents hidden by a four-year old" on the outside in orange crayon :rolleyes: . I literally opened the package and thought, "What the f*ck did I do to p!ss these people off?!" Note to prospective seed sellers: If you decide to offer a "stealth" delivery option, please ensure that the numb-nuts you employ to package the orders doesn't just throw a random item into an otherwise empty package along with a note stating 'do not throw this item away, someone in your household actually ordered the thing!" (or words to that effect), because that screams "suspicious shipment" to any inspector who still has a pulse. But if you DO decide to go this route, make sure the SOB bothers to at least put that random item back together properly (and completely). FFS!

So, anyway, there I was, holding the contents and muttering to myself about idiots. But I did receive the seeds I had ordered. I did NOT receive the commercial packaging, which was annoying - but I can understand that a company wouldn't want to spend more than $20 for a box of 100 of the particular item that the person stuffed my seeds into, and that they simply would not have fit in there if he/she hadn't transferred the things to tiny Ziploc-style baggies; I do, however, wish they'd have made this clear by actually bothering to mention it on their website. But, again, I had the seeds - two (different) five-packs. And those five-packs actually contained seven seeds each. It turns out that this was "in lieu of" the commercial packaging, which was nice but, again, should have been one of those things that gets mentioned on their website.

Now here's where things got really annoying (for me). Having received the seeds, I stuck them in a box with a bunch of other tiny little baggies containing cannabis seeds, as per normal. Time passes. Someone asked me if I'd give them some seeds so I opened the container, pulled out a handful of little baggies - and noticed that both of the ones from CKS had some kind of "contaminant" in them!(!!!) I'm pretty sure that this wasn't evident when I received them, yet I hadn't opened those baggies at all. It took the form of a bunch of very tiny whitish dots and, since I couldn't see it to begin with, I'm thinking it's some sort of microbial(?) life form or even those tiny little mites that have been giving people fits the past few years (russet mites? IDFK, but I read a rumor that the issue has been spreading East - and the domestic reshipper was located in California, so maybe?). Whatever the stuff was/is, it must have been there when the seeds arrived here because, again, I hadn't opened the baggies between their arrival and when I pulled them out of storage a few months later and looked closely at them. Also, I should note that none of the (many) other baggies showed any evidence of this contamination - and I know it's on the inside of the baggies, because I washed those baggies off, first with regular hand soap, then with 70% isopropyl alcohol.

I am hopeful that my normal germination method will make this issue a non-issue. I pour a cap or two of hydrogen peroxide into a cup, drop a seed into it, and swirl it around for 30 seconds before adding water. But I don't really know for sure. The two strains are White Widow Auto and Blueberry.

I guess this post ended up being an "I wouldn't order from Crop King Seeds" rant.

All good. Think I was projecting my own feelings more than anything. :lot-o-toke::rofl:

I'm told that projecting is an undesirable thing. I know that the time when I had projectile vomit, the other people riding in the back of the van with me were highly put out (and they all wanted to put ME out ;) ).

It was two or three years ago. Wait, it was October, 2017 (got a $100 store credit as part of the prize package for winning Member of the Month - I just had to look on the left to figure it out, lol).

And I'll go ahead and admit that the information might have been there and I just overlooked it. But I usually notice things like that, and I had been "all over" that website when trying to decide what to spend the store credit on (including their discontinued strains' pages, because I was also looking for information on their Azura Haze). But, yeah, I suppose I could have missed it.

Even though people order seeds anytime of the year . There are certain times of the year that are better. If i have to order in the winter it is usually in the same country I live in Canada. Also they would have to pretty new stock and of this something I might like. I try to order my seeds in late spring and summer.
I have noticed seeds I ordered in the winter their success rate goes way down. This is do to being shipped in cold trucks and sorted in warm buildings and go back out in cold trucks and so on. This is not good for your seeds and in most cases cause moisture. If breeders would just put a grain or 2 of rice in with their seeds when shipping this would help them battle the climate changes while making their way to the buyer.
with that said here are two seed company's I have used and got seeds and grew plants. They are 420 sponsors.
In Canada

Back
Top Bottom