Canadians Are Being Banned From The U.S. For Admitting They've Smoked Weed

Katelyn Baker

Canadians (and other foreigners): don't ever tell a United States border patrol agent or immigration and customs official you've smoked pot. Not even one hit years ago. Or you'll be banned from the U.S. Seriously.

VICE tells us the story of actual Canadian Alan Ranta, who was crossing into legal weed Washington state. Ranta says the border thug guard didn't like the look of his "colorful camping gear," and sent Ranta off handcuffed into an interrogation room. Another guard started asking about his weed habits.

"I thought, Trudeau has said it's going to be legal in a year, and the U.S. state I'm going to has had it legal for three years. It didn't seem like that big of a deal to say I'd smoked," said Ranta.

It is a big deal.

That statement was an admission to violating Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act, which renders a foreigner ineligible to enter the U.S. without a visa and a waiver that costs about $600 and takes weeks to obtain. Under U.S. immigration law, under the right circumstances an admission of "guilt" is seen as the same as an actual criminal court conviction.

The other factor at work here is that while Washington state, and other parts of the U.S., have legalized weed, the Federal government refuses to recognize a state's right to make that decision, and thus still regards marijuana as a controlled substance. So at the border it is illegal while a few hundred yards inside at the nearest store it is legally sold.

While foreigners cannot be compelled to answer questions at the border, their failure to do so is itself grounds for refusing them entry into the U.S. Gotcha.

But we Americans do sleep more soundly knowing we have such a*sholes standing on that wall to protect us.

Flickr6.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Canadians Are Being Banned From The U.S. For Admitting They've Smoked Weed
Author: Peter Van Buren
Photo Credit: Flickr

Back
Top Bottom