Canna Butter: Key to Cooking with Marijuana

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
By Polly Cooper

Now, there are several ways you can make it, but the super-concentrated one I am about to show you is my personal favorite. This way you get the most butter for your buck. After all, how much weed do you want to waste? NONE. The answer is NONE, just in case any of you out there were wondering.

One last thing before we begin canna butter 101: SAVE YOUR STEMS! KEEP THEM IN A JAR! They contain a shit-ton of THC, unless you are smoking shwag, and if so, please discard. Once you have filled up a nice-sized jar, use that in your butter instead of your precious buds.

THINGS YOU WILL NEED:
*heavy bottomed saucepan
*rubber spatula (do not use wood, or you may loose some thc to the spoon)
*1 Stick of UNsalted butter
*3.5g (for most, an 1/8) kind bud; medicinal
*cheesecloth (found in the baking aisle of most supermarkets)
*shallow, wide bowl
*plastic bag
*a timer/clock
*grinder (do not grind your weed in the same grinder as you do your coffee, unless you have removed all the oils and it's spotless)

TIPS:
Try to avoid swirling the butter to keep it from sticking to the sides and burning.

Stir every 15 minutes; notice the changes in color, make sure it is a long, slow, heat.

Put your face down and smell it. You should be able to smell the butter and earthiness of the weed, and towards the end it begins smelling nuttier. Beware the burnt popcorn smell. You want to remove it from heat before burnt popcorn has filled your place with stench and failure at having burned your batch. Which is bad. Very bad. But, I have faith in you that your butter will turn out fabulous, darlings.

1. Slowly melt the butter into the pan. Remember to keep on the lowest setting. Use a double boiler if you want to be extra cautious about potentially burning the butter.
2. Grind up your weed ~ SAVE YOUR STEMS!
3. After the butter has melted, pour in the weed.
4. Stir every 15 mins for 1hr30mins to 1hr45mins.
5. Before you remove from heat, you should have set up your bowl, covering it with double layered cheesecloth
6. If you have a friend hanging out, get them to hold the cheesecloth, while you pour into it, over the bowl. BE CAREFUL, the canna butter is hot! If you are all alone, use a rubber band to secure the cheesecloth to the bowl.
7. Take a plastic bag, preferably a turkey bag, and wrap it around the cheesecloth and begin to wring out all the butter into the bowl. Twist and squeeze until not a single drop flows through. Scrape any excess from the plastic into the bowl.
8. Let sit, cool, and form, then wrap with saran wrap and keep it refrigerated. You may also freeze it if you don't plan on using it soon or often.

Source: Canna Butter: Key to Cooking with Marijuana - Phoenix Restaurants and Dining - Chow Bella

I really dont understand why everyone strains the "waste" and throws it away. Unless you are making suar cookies and dont like the color. I used to make it in Mexico all the time. I would use the same method as above, but leave the ground herb in the butter (I used a coffee grinder so it was a fine powder)
I like to use to recipe for no bake cookies and other than they have a slightly earthy taste, they are great and I dont feel like I'm wasting.

I guess straining the waste or cooked Marijuana away to "clarify" the butter may seem wasteful but after 24hrs in a crockpot any plant material left behind is just that. As I have what I am after (the oil), what could I use that for and why leave Plant material in butter that may breakdown and go bad?

By Polly Cooper

Now, there are several ways you can make it, but the super-concentrated one I am about to show you is my personal favorite. This way you get the most butter for your buck. After all, how much weed do you want to waste? NONE. The answer is NONE, just in case any of you out there were wondering.

One last thing before we begin canna butter 101: SAVE YOUR STEMS! KEEP THEM IN A JAR! They contain a shit-ton of THC, unless you are smoking shwag, and if so, please discard. Once you have filled up a nice-sized jar, use that in your butter instead of your precious buds.

THINGS YOU WILL NEED:
*heavy bottomed saucepan
*rubber spatula (do not use wood, or you may loose some thc to the spoon)
*1 Stick of UNsalted butter
*3.5g (for most, an 1/8) kind bud; medicinal
*cheesecloth (found in the baking aisle of most supermarkets)
*shallow, wide bowl
*plastic bag
*a timer/clock
*grinder (do not grind your weed in the same grinder as you do your coffee, unless you have removed all the oils and it's spotless)

TIPS:
Try to avoid swirling the butter to keep it from sticking to the sides and burning.

Stir every 15 minutes; notice the changes in color, make sure it is a long, slow, heat.

Put your face down and smell it. You should be able to smell the butter and earthiness of the weed, and towards the end it begins smelling nuttier. Beware the burnt popcorn smell. You want to remove it from heat before burnt popcorn has filled your place with stench and failure at having burned your batch. Which is bad. Very bad. But, I have faith in you that your butter will turn out fabulous, darlings.

1. Slowly melt the butter into the pan. Remember to keep on the lowest setting. Use a double boiler if you want to be extra cautious about potentially burning the butter.
2. Grind up your weed ~ SAVE YOUR STEMS!
3. After the butter has melted, pour in the weed.
4. Stir every 15 mins for 1hr30mins to 1hr45mins.
5. Before you remove from heat, you should have set up your bowl, covering it with double layered cheesecloth
6. If you have a friend hanging out, get them to hold the cheesecloth, while you pour into it, over the bowl. BE CAREFUL, the canna butter is hot! If you are all alone, use a rubber band to secure the cheesecloth to the bowl.
7. Take a plastic bag, preferably a turkey bag, and wrap it around the cheesecloth and begin to wring out all the butter into the bowl. Twist and squeeze until not a single drop flows through. Scrape any excess from the plastic into the bowl.
8. Let sit, cool, and form, then wrap with saran wrap and keep it refrigerated. You may also freeze it if you don't plan on using it soon or often.

Source: Canna Butter: Key to Cooking with Marijuana - Phoenix Restaurants and Dining - Chow Bella

So glad to finally find some information on cooking with stems that I can count on! I recently purchased the Magical Butter machine, however, I haven't used it yet. Do you think this same recipe would work using the machine? Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom