Canna Nutrients, bio canna and plain terra

Hdinkleman

Hey guys i figured this might be a decent thread to open due to some confusion i witnessed at my local hydro shop today

anyways i have been growing a large plant in canna terra pro plus, which is a cocopeat based medium. i also have a smaller plant growing in soil (ff ocean forest and some other amendments i have mixed myself)

i have been having what looks like some ph issues in the canna terra pro plus. i have not been having the same issues with the soil. i have been using the full bio canna line (their version of organic nutes) which is stated on cannas website to only be used in soil, in both mediums.

i went down to pickup the correct nute for canna terra pro plus (which would be the plain terra line, not the bio) and am going to report back if the ph issues desist after a bit. anyone else using these nutes feel free to chime in.

as i was checking out another customer walked in and i overheard him say his plants were not looking happy. well coincedntally he was saying he was using bio canna in coco peat, not soil, the same as i was. so i am definitely not the only one experiencing these issues.

Hey Hdinkleman, how has this worked out? Did you sort out the problem. I’m researching about the canna bio products and found this. Curious how things are now and if you changed anything etc.
:Namaste:

yes i still use it.
anything in particular you were wondering about? i feel it works great, nice fade at finish now using it now that i have it dialed in

Thanks for replying :) I am actually growing with Doc Buds kit which I’m rally happy with but I’m looking for options for growing some smaller plants with smaller pots so researching nute options and the Canna products caught my attention. Was interested in thei organic range but it looks like they have to be used with an ammended soil or their own canna terra substrate - is that right?

I’ve been thinking i might try a Coco grow - which is basically passive hydro so i’m not sure the Bio Canna range will work for that.

I suppose I’d like to know what the smallest sized pot you’ve managed to successfully grow in with it.

Mostly I was curious if you were having a good experience with the products - cause you were having a issue so I wondered if it was fixed/solved

I am still a novice growing.
finishing up my current grow now.
its in my grow journal but i will repost picture i just did.

i use bio canna(organic soil) and the terra (coco/peat hydro).

out of the last three plants i have grown, 2 of them (including the current) was grown in CANNA TERRA PRO PLUS which is their cocopeat hydro mix.

the other plant was grown using biocanna in an amended soil i made myself and mixed some ffof into as well.

what i like-
plants seem to be healthy. current grow has had no problems as i followed their feed schedule, but i havent used anything else so i dont have a comparison.

what i dont like- im on my fourth grow using all their products so i got it down. extremely confusing at first trying to understand some of their literature as a noob.
i understand better now the mechanisms of an organic grow, but it was extremely confusing using BIOCANNA in CANNA TERRA PRO PLUS as a noob. their website says biocanna is formulated for soil, but hydroshop guy convinced me CTPP was soil. ph problems and worriedness ensued. i got it down now though.

last grow before harvest
plant on right is cocopeat
plant in left is soil
8331B0B2-1F30-4E85-B66A-35F71549CA1C.jpeg

current grow
maybe 2 weeks away from harvest (supposedly)
grown in 2 gallon round pot
used CTPP and cannas TERRA line (vega, flores, rhizotonic, cannazyme and bioboost

6ED53B0C-B09D-4DFF-8463-B6CAC8389DFA.jpeg

i have gotten a good fade on this plant.
it is rootbound i think
grow went off without a hitch, great plant, buds are as big as a snapple bottle.

i have an outdoor grow started i made my own soil using a bag of black gold( soil and EC) some fox farms all purpose with microbes, azomite, langenbite, insect frass, buncha other stuff too.

mixed it up in a plastic bin, poured some warm water in it mixed it around then let it sit for a while before potting some seeds with it a couple weeks ago.

i dont foliar feed, the tent is too small and dont like spraying water around unfortuneately for the brix aspect of my grows

Thanks for replying :) I am actually growing with Doc Buds kit which I’m rally happy with but I’m looking for options for growing some smaller plants with smaller pots so researching nute options and the Canna products caught my attention. Was interested in thei organic range but it looks like they have to be used with an ammended soil or their own canna terra substrate - is that right?

I’ve been thinking i might try a Coco grow - which is basically passive hydro so i’m not sure the Bio Canna range will work for that.

I suppose I’d like to know what the smallest sized pot you’ve managed to successfully grow in with it.

Mostly I was curious if you were having a good experience with the products - cause you were having a issue so I wondered if it was fixed/solved

my next grow i am using mother earths cocopeat instead of their line.

i hope that it will work the same as their canna terra pro plus. from the ingrsients it seems to be the same stuff.

even though they probably want you to think this, i highly doubt their medium is that fine tuned to work any different from a different brands cocopeat.
if it was i think they would have done a better job eliminating the fungus gnats that their CTPP is infected with.
Had fungus gnats every grow, finally isolated it to the bag of CTPP i have been using.

:thanks: Thanks for all that. It’s really helpful. Man, I’ve battled gnats too - li’l fookers!

So that sounds like the Bio Canna is not ok to use in coco peat, its only for soil - is that right?

Your grows looking great - have fun with the outdoor. I’m an outdoor grower mostly and am only just getting started with indoor. Did one plant last year and looking to do a few now. I’m southern Hemisphere ad i grow outdoors in summer and indoors in winter now! :) :ciao:

:thanks: Thanks for all that. It’s really helpful. Man, I’ve battled gnats too - li’l fookers!

So that sounds like the Bio Canna is not ok to use in coco peat, its only for soil - is that right?

Your grows looking great - have fun with the outdoor. I’m an outdoor grower mostly and am only just getting started with indoor. Did one plant last year and looking to do a few now. I’m southern Hemisphere ad i grow outdoors in summer and indoors in winter now! :):ciao:

the biocanna is confusing at first. canna says it is meant for soil, but their BIO TERRA medium is a coco peat mixture (not soil) and is meant to use specifically with bio canna.

from what i understand it doesnt really matter whether it is soil or cocopeat. as long as you dont have chlorine in your water, or your medium isnt treated with somethjng to kill microbes it will work.
i assume biocanna is just a molasses based nutrient that feeds microbes rather than directly the plant. doesnt neccasarily matter whether your medium is cocopeat or soil.

but i will also say that if you are using tap water and follow cannas feeding schedule, the biocanna will automatically PH your tap water to almost exactly the correct ph.

it will ph your nutes to 6.3 during veg and 6.5 during flower and 6.7 during late flower.
which is all soil phs, so if you use it for cocopeat you probably should be mindful to use an organic ph up or down before feeding the plants

:thumb: Thanks again. My local hydro shop sells it & I’m thinking about something like that for growing autos in smaller pots. I’m lucky enough to have rain water so no chlorine for sure. I’ll remember to check PH if I use coco! Cheers Hdinkleman :)

Back
Top Bottom