Cannabelle's Kapakahi 420 Companion Triad Grow

Cannabelle

Cannabelle's Kapakahi 420 Companion Triad Grow
cannabelle_construction_zone.png

Pardon my dust.
I'm constructing a thread for my first kapakahi cannabis companion triad grow journal.

:surf:

Kapakahi is Hawaiian slang for twisted, unorganized, WTF is she doing?!?

Warning: My grow is tainted by 40+ years as a bonsai enthusiast (learned from my Asian grandmother) and ethno botany studies. Please ask questions if I go all nerdy, Hawaiian, Chinese or Japanese and make no sense whatsoever other than to myself.

Hopefully, I'll be showing how I grow bonsai cannabis and green bunching onions together with mushrooms. Sounds cool, eh?

I grow on the cheap and don't exactly follow directions or meters. Something about my body chemistry and electricity throws off the sensor probes in EC/PPM/CF/TDS monitors. I just know my tap water runs 6.9-7.0 PH. I give-up spending money on monitors that go whacky after one reading. So I'll demonstrate how to monitor green bunching onions and cannabis leaves for changes in the rhizosphere instead.

Cannabis partners to be grown:
2 The Widow feminized seedlings from Feminized Seeds
4 Quin-N-Tonic regular (apple treated) seedlings from La Plata Labs
1 Blue Blood feminized clone from Medicann
Assorted hemp and hemp crossed seedlings​

Beneficial triad partners:
Allium fistulosum L.​
(aka: green onions, welsh onions, bunching onions, scallions)​
Glomus mycorrhizal fungi cocktail​
(Glomus intraradices, Glomus mosseae, Glomus aggregatum, Glomus etunicatum)​

Soiless medium:
2 parts moist Coco-coir
1 part perlite
1 part vermiculite​

Other soil additives:
Azomite
Garden Lime​

Bubbler Nutrients:
Kelp liquid
Fish emulsion
Coconut water
A ripe mix from Kelp4Less (late flowering)
Sometimes honey or maple syrup​

Sprayed supplements:
Light epsom salt water spray
Or a light coconut water spray
Or a combo of epsom and coconut water spray​

Pest control:
Crumbled Mosquito Dunks (soil larva)
Neem Oil (spider mites before flowering)
Mighty Wash and other non-toxic stuff (spider mites during flowering)​

Lights:
LED panels (currently 1 300 watt panel in one of my grow frames)
Assorted CFLs all over the place​

Open Top Grow Frame:
Wire Frame Vegetable Bin (used, $20)
Easter mylar foil ($1 per roll x4 per 3 foot grow frame)
Bamboo Sticks​

Circulation:
Over head fan​

Pots:
Home made from generic solo cups and used pants​

No Air Filtration Neccessary:
The alliums and glomus somehow tame the odor released by the terpenes in the trichomes. However, the resins will still stink on your fingers. Alliums have been used for centuries by rose growers to improve the scent of perfume roses. Cannabis is in the order Rosales, just like roses. I deduce that the myrcene terpene in cannabis is stimulated somehow by the alliums in the rhizosphere. Synthetic myrcene is also used by the perfume industry as an intermediary to improve the fragrance of citrus and purple fragrances.

Meanwhile, both cannabis and bunching green onions share a specific relationship with Glomus mycorrhizal fungi. Put the three partners together, and an amazing triad bond is formed.

I need a real lab to investigate this phenomena in more detail.​

Pictures to be uploaded as soon as I sort them out from my messy, kapakahi photograph folder . . .

Mmm interesting !

I am pleased that i have discovered you & many points of knowledge well worth looking into :thumb:

I'm reasonable sure you have some form of hortic back ground behind you, as to the mention of triad partners in my neck of the woods it maybe referred to as companion planting... might just be a difference in terminology used tho.

I look forwards to seeing this grow develope :Namaste:

AAAAHHH!!! My first botany job was to search out and document an endemic onion in the mountains of central Idaho! I love this thread so much already! I am currently working on a restoration project and we are discussing using feminized cannabis plants to provide instant canopy in degraded timber stands and reduce sun-loving weeds like Potentilla and Centaurea while fostering shade tolerant, native understory species and saplings. I love your forward thinking here....I'm in for sure, and thank you!

Trig

Hugs all, I've been having bad weather in my neck of the woods over the week. Every time bad weather rolls in, I get rolling brown outs which mess with my ability to work on the many photos I take with my Sony DSC-H300. I take care to resize and adjust light balance of every photo. Yesterday alone, 6 brownouts. My area is stuck in the 1950's as for as the electrical infrastructure goes. I am getting a better UPS system because my current UPS just can't handle the brownouts and power surges.

@ Fuzzy Duck,
I am sorry to say that I'm a noob when it comes to cannabis and victory gardens. I'm just into Asian and Polynesian enthnobotany, soils, and rediscovering old remedies and planting methods. I'm going to need lots of help deciphering my multi-ethnic and science nomenclature with more common terminology. Some days, dyslexia kicks in, and what I say may not make much sense.

I also use terms like cow pruning to denote hard pruning from a bonsai friend who used to collect beautiful bonsai specimens near gates of cow pastures where the cows would reach over and nom on maples or cherry tree seedlings over several years. I use cow pruning to keep clones low, vigorous and bushy indefinitely until I am ready to flower them out. The clones develop very thick, woody drunks over time just like chrysanthemum bonsai.

@ Triggle
China has been working with hemp cannabis for many millenia. One of the reasons I warn about using Chinese hemp seed for food is because while the seeds are technically non-GMO and organic, the grounds the hemp is grown on could come from contaminated fields. Unknown and untested hemp seeds should be grown out in clean fields before the seeds and stock can be used in food and fabrication.

Cannabis culture in China is as old and precious as sericulture (mulberry and silk). Hemp is often used by China as a cleaner plant along side native onions and Glomus endomycorrhizal fungi to reclaim areas poisoned by industrial waste. I think China and Korea onion growers are more partial to Glomus etunicatum. Asian onions just do not grow well without a glomus partner in the rhizosphere. When you partner cannabis, alliums and glomus, you extend the ability of cannabis roots to extract the heavy metals from the soil. I can imagine a future where you'll see hemp plants grown along side golf courses which tend to use a huge amount of pesticides, fertilizers, and herbicides. City councils are always dealing with contaminated water lens issues caused by industrial waste and high maintenance golf courses.

The onions are also a great way to gauge the health of the soil and the needs of the cannabis.

Back to trying to upload and process photographs for my grow thread. Wish me luck with the weather.:thumb:

You bet I'm here. I already grow those tiny pot miniature plants. Teach me to make them yield more. I keep thinking they could be treated like bonsai and do better.

So I can plant grocery store green onions in my pots?

So glad you started a journal. Dance of joy. :love: :slide: :love:

I just want to follow. It sounds interesting and I'm just absorbing things. Jim

Welcome to our community Jim. Cannabelle will be along to give her official welcome to her thread, but I just stumbled through the door , so hello. Nice to meet you.

Hugs, Jim and Sue :hug:

Nice to have you stop by. This thread is likely to be a little alien to cannabis culture because I'm using old bonsai techniques, rhizosphere nomenclature, and a smattering of Hawaiian, Chinese and Japanese flavored English.

I better go save the first seed post before my power cuts out again.:slide:

:cheer:Lets give a big cheer for the star partners of my 420 grow:cheer:
seedstories1.png

1 Blue Blood Clone, 4 Quin-N-Tonic Seeds, 2 The Widow Seeds

:green_heart:

My grow starts off a month ago with 4 regular Quin-N-Tonic seeds from La Plata.
The last time I sprouted 2 La Plata seeds they were both males.
I was hoping for females, but was glad that one of the males had a compact, bushy growth habit.
The compact, bushy male was used to pollinate my seed hemp and medical marijuana seed mothers.
I am pre-treating 4 Q-N-T seeds this time around for 20 days with apple ethylene.
seedstories2.png

seedstories3.png

The seeds go in to an organza jewelry pouch suspended over a ripe apple in a paper bag.
I have a hundred or so of these pretty organza bags for my handmade jewelry.
They make handy seed pouches as well as jewelry pouches!
I have no idea if ethylene treatment of cannabis seeds work.
Cannabis can have both monoecious (hermaphroditic) and dioecious (true male or female) genes.
I'm hoping to encourage female expression with ethylene in case QNT is hermaphroditic.
If QNT is truly dioecious, ethylene treatments may not work on true males.

20 days later after treating the QNT seeds, I get ready to soak both QNT and Widow seeds.
The apple is just beginning to rot at the bottom.
:cheer:Go Go Go Female Gene Expression QNTs!:cheer:
seedstories4.png

seedstories5.png

12 hours later, the seeds are still floating.
seedstories6.png

The seeds settle down once swooshed around in their medicine bottles.
seedstories7.png

Next the seeds are fished out of the water they've been soaking in and
placed on wet cotton balls which rest inside the medicine bottle lids.
The seeds will remain inside the sealed medicine bottles for 2 days.
There is enough oxygen and humidity to keep the sprouts happy for 48 hours.
The amber color of the recycled medicine bottles help shield baby root radicles from light.
seedstories9.png

seedstories10.png

The QNT seeds are already showing radicles after 12 hours of soaking.
At least the ethylene treatment did not interfere with the viability of QNT seeds.​

More information on my Amber Medicine Bottle germination method can be found here.

I'm saving this post for now before power cuts out again. More pictures incoming.

We're into the next day, so I was able to swing that sledgehammer of Rep. That was the best seed-starting approach I've seen so far Cannabelle. How long have you been doing it that way? Self taught or trained? The cotton ball inside the amber pill bottle is brilliant.

Welcome to Cannabelle's 420 Cooking Show!:welcome:

While the seeds are in their medicine bottle spa, let's take the time to marinate some coco coir!

Gather Ingredients
soil1.png

Ingredients:
1 Coco Coir Brick (enough to make 2 gallons of coco soil)
1 Gallon Horticulture Perlite
1 Gallon Organic Vermiculite
2 Tablespoons Azomite
1 Teaspoon Organic Garden Lime

Accoutrements:
5 Gallon Storage Container
Gardening Trowel
Plastic Spoons

Avengers Assemble!:cheer:

Let coco coir brick hydrate for a day in a 5 gallon storage container covered.
There should be about 2 gallons of hydrated coco coir the next day.
Add perlite, vermiculite, azomite and garden lime and stir vigorously.
soil2.png

Cover and stir occasionally until ready to use.
soil3.png

Notes:
Fertilizer is kept out of the soiless coco mix so as not to shock seedlings. Seedlings and clone will be gradually fed with mostly organic, aerated kelp/fish emulsion teas and stuff from my kitchen.

Bonsai Soiless Mixes vs. Cannabis Soiless Mix
In bonsai, soil structure is important in encouraging root structure and soil aeration. Since bonsai pots are extremely shallow and small, without good root structure for shallow pots, the trees will not be able to live for hundreds of years.

Perlite is not used in bonsai soil but can be used in prebonsai tree development. Bonsai artists do not like the unnatural whiteness of perlite, so we use small wood chip particles of graduated size to retain root structure of our trees. Perlite is light weight and chunky enough to encourage healthy root structure and aeration in the cannabis rhizosphere.

I'm also using 1 part vermiculite to help provide additional structure and moisture. Coco coir alone is too heavy and fine to encourage healthy root structure and aeration.

We're into the next day, so I was able to swing that sledgehammer of Rep. That was the best seed-starting approach I've seen so far Cannabelle. How long have you been doing it that way? Self taught or trained? The cotton ball inside the amber pill bottle is brilliant.

Hugs Sue :love:

I've been using amber medicine bottles for sprouting all kinds of seeds. I just thought it was the thing to do with all the medicine bottles accumulating in my house. Since amber color protects medicines from light degradation, it should protect baby roots as well. I recycle and MacGuyver whatever is available.

From a strictly aesthetic perspective, that's a gorgeous growing medium and the assemblage was wonderfully explained.

I like your style. I appreciate the differences in everyone's posting styles. Yours has a strong artistic vibe to it. I'm glad I got an early seat. :laughtwo: :love:

On my way to bed. I've been trying to get there for an hour now. LOL!! I'll catch up tomorrow. What hours do you normally post? I don't have any responsibilities Cannabelle. Can you believe that? Sooner or later I'll get tired of that because I'm a woman raised to accept responsibility, but for now it means I can be up any time I choose and I think I choose to be in real time with you some days.

You cracked me up with accoutrements. That's the kind of thing I would do. Hahaha! I'm going to learn a lot of language skills here too. Cool!

:Namaste:

Wow loads of good stuff for myself to ponder over, you have a style & experience i'm not custom to !

How ever it is very good & ya making me think about things i'm unaware off, Mmm aiding my learning curve :thumb:

I'm pretty sure ya do just fine in growing a little bit of mmj as you have skills !

Oh by the way interesting mix of soil, i've not seen that done before ? i'm pretty sure it will do fine but was wondering on nutrients or feeding methods you have planned.

Wow loads of good stuff for myself to ponder over, you have a style & experience i'm not custom to !

How ever it is very good & ya making me think about things i'm unaware off, Mmm aiding my learning curve :thumb:

I'm pretty sure ya do just fine in growing a little bit of mmj as you have skills !

Oh by the way interesting mix of soil, i've not seen that done before ? i'm pretty sure it will do fine but was wondering on nutrients or feeding methods you have planned.

Hugs, Mr. Duck :hug:

I've been growing bonsai and green onions off and on for about 40+ years. I used to think cannabis was an ornamental substitute for Japanese maple back in Hawaii when i was a teenager. I didn't think of cannabis as medicine or recreation. I was so clueless as a teenager. I have an uncle on the island of Maui who's been growing Maui Wowie since the early 1970's when there was still a Banana Patch hippy colony on Maui. He still grows Maui Wowie on his Hawaiian homestead ranch for retired horses and other homeless critters. I'm a late bloomer to cannabis for medicinal, nutritional and industrial purposes.

I cheat using my knowledge as a long time bonsai master and ethno-botany student. Both my maternal grandfather and grandmother taught me the basics of Hawaiian and Chinese ethno-botany. Thus my approach to growing cannabis will not be mainstream.

The soiless medium I am using is mostly to provide aeration, moisture and structure for the cannabis roots. As the grow matures, I begin adding aerated liquid nutrient teas to feed the roots of cannabis and it's onion partner. I'm growing as cheaply as possible because I cannot afford cannabis specific products on my tight budget as a disabled person.

I'm not growing 100% organic because I don't think azomite or epsom salt qualifies as organic based supplements.

I will be ordering more companion seeds . . . I just need to remember not to use them all up for making sprout salads. I love sprouts.

This is why my thread has the Hawaiian word Kapakahi. I am all over the place but somehow still interconnected like a rhizosphere community or the internet web.

About maturation of my very basic soil mix using whatever tea nutrients I brew and add over time:
alliumfhealth.png

This is what healthy, thriving allium fistulosum looks like 1 month after a cannabis harvest. It sheds it's tough leather sheath, returns to a vibrant blue green, and begins to make copies of itself by splitting off and clumping. Unfortunately, the rhizosphere community would not let the harvested cannabis die. Now I am stuck with a perpetual Blue Blood cannabis bonsai which will develop a thick woody trunk and turn more tree like which each successive harvest. I guess I could treat the stump as a bonsai ornamental and tell folks it's a Japanese maple.:laugh:

Wow! The potential for revegged bonsai cannabis just tore through my brain!

Back
Top Bottom