Cannabinoids Reduce Markers of Inflammation and Fibrosis in Pancreatic Stellate Cells

Herb Fellow

While cannabinoids have been shown to ameliorate liver fibrosis, their effects in chronic pancreatitis and on pancreatic stellate cells (PSC) are unknown.

The activity of the endocannabinoid system was evaluated in human chronic pancreatitis (CP) tissues. In vitro, effects of blockade and activation of cannabinoid receptors on pancreatic stellate cells were characterized. In CP, cannabinoid receptors were detected predominantly in areas with inflammatory changes, stellate cells and nerves. Levels of endocannabinoids were decreased compared with normal pancreas. Cannabinoid-receptor-1 antagonism effectuated a small PSC phenotype and a trend toward increased invasiveness. Activation of cannabinoid receptors, however, induced de-activation of PSC and dose-dependently inhibited growth and decreased IL-6 and MCP-1 secretion as well as fibronectin, collagen1 and alphaSMA levels. De-activation of PSC was partially reversible using a combination of cannabinoid-receptor-1 and -2 antagonists. Concomitantly, cannabinoid receptor activation specifically decreased invasiveness of PSC, MMP-2 secretion and led to changes in PSC phenotype accompanied by a reduction of intracellular stress fibres.

Conclusions/Significance
Augmentation of the endocannabinoid system via exogenously administered cannabinoid receptor agonists specifically induces a functionally and metabolically quiescent pancreatic stellate cell phenotype and may thus constitute an option to treat inflammation and fibrosis in chronic pancreatitis.

Source: BBC
Copyright: 2008, pubmedcentral.nih.gov
Website: Cannabinoids Reduce Markers of Inflammation and Fibrosis in Pancreatic Stellate Cells

Re: Cannabinoids Reduce Markers of Inflammation and Fibrosis in Pancreatic Stellate C

Dear Herb Fellow,
This article presents a Huge dilemma to me. Am Hep C patient and have always gangbusted thru everything with MJ. Symptoms, during and before and after treatment, all the time every day (pretty much)for 45 years. 2 pregnancies, depression and poverty. Right now there is a really big consensus among MD's that MJ "smoked daily" contributes to liver fibrosis progression. I would certainly smoke less because I'm frankly concerned about these reports. Would you please clarify what "ameliorating liver fibrosis" means in your article? Am looking for a way to justify continuing biz as usual. I realize you aren't MD's, but where does the affirmation appear?

Re: Cannabinoids Reduce Markers of Inflammation and Fibrosis in Pancreatic Stellate C

Because doctors do not know the effects unless they are studied :)

Now they have found that Cannabinoids stop or slow tumor growth among many other things, they may be able to make informed decisions, and decide to research further.

Am going ahead full speed re this research. I'd pay taxes so willingly if the lies would stop. Hate the lies. perhaps they're talking about smoking only? I really can't see cause BIG PHARMA is blocking my view. I don't have X-ray vision ya know.

Dear Herb Fellow,
This article presents a Huge dilemma to me. Am Hep C patient and have always gangbusted thru everything with MJ. Symptoms, during and before and after treatment, all the time every day (pretty much)for 45 years. 2 pregnancies, depression and poverty. Right now there is a really big consensus among MD's that MJ "smoked daily" contributes to liver fibrosis progression. I would certainly smoke less because I'm frankly concerned about these reports. Would you please clarify what "ameliorating liver fibrosis" means in your article? Am looking for a way to justify continuing biz as usual. I realize you aren't MD's, but where does the affirmation appear?

I wish I could answer your question. I search for cannabis related news and post, but do not have the means to do further research. I think I understand your concerns and would suggest you go to the website on the article for further info. I wish I knew more to tell you. peace

Hey,Im on methadone,at the clinic I go to they just posted some kind of report on a bullitan board about MJ bieng dangerous to hepc patiants,I cant say personally cuz I dont have hep but Ive now found conflicting info on the subject...So who's right?

deezledave and anyone who cares, just from googling fibrosis and hep c, it doesn't look too good. how did I dare get the one shit that can't be helped with marijuana? So be it, I'll hit every other day. Ya' know, at least I won't have to be harassed like Mary Ann in 9 years. Really would be great if the grands weren't exposed to the negativity.

Back
Top Bottom