Cannabis and Veterinary Use

Have you ever treated a pet with cannabis?

• Total voters
Had Maggie at the vet last week for more x-rays (her arthritis is progressing, unfortunately and she now has hip dysplasia as well, poor kid). But- the dog has been on otomax (for ear infections) and a combo of ketaconazole and Benadryl (for serious skin sensitivities that lead to infections.... A LOT) since she was three. Oddly, I hadn't realized until the vet visit that she hasn't had a single ear or skin infection since starting with the ABV Tx. So, I am marking those down as fringe benefits (since her pain control was the goal, anything else is just gravy).

-Mickey

I would say if you have a vet that is willing to support a marijuana based treatment plan, you are half way home. One thing I would suggest to people is to really look at what you are feeding your pets. We have had several dogs die of cancer and others who had skin,stomach, ear and other problems and once we moved away from low quality dog food, we have had far fewer problems. This does not mean you need to buy expensive bagged food

This made me laugh, because my girls have been on prescription low-ingredient allergy food for years. I had switched to a non-prescription low ingredient formula, but the company kept changing it (herring and sweet potato became fish and brown rice, then it changed to fish and sweet potato, then became fish and rice). So I got irked and switched brands. The new low allergy food actually has the words "gluten free" on the bag. Buying gluten free food for my dog made me feel like a pretentious douche. LOL

-Mickey

I have a couple of friends who started using cannabis concentrated oil on their dogs skin cancer. This time around they used grapeseed oil to make the oil more pliable (second round of treatment). The tumors have shrank at an alarming rate. The strains blended were Harlequin/AK-47. I wish I could find a technique to 'tack' the oil on the dogs gum. Believe it or not they love the bitter taste of the concentrate and keep trying to lick it while trying to adhere the oil to their gums. You have to be very careful while trying this technique as you do not want your dogs euphoric. Almost a minute film on your finger and at most 2 licks. Judging by how much the tumors have shrank one more treatment and a follow up should do the trick. One is a Pit Bull and the other a German Sheppard. I cannot see why Vets cannot have access to the concentrated oil when animals are used in scientific experiments anyway. Difference is this is a safe and natural treatment and has shown great potential using the concentrate on horses and dogs so far. If I could just find a way for them to stop licking, lol.
Just keeping this updated as intel comes in.

My brothers dog is about 14 and her joints are in pain she has severe arthritis. Some days she falls all the time it makes us sad for her but her spirits are high so we can not put her down. We would like for her to enjoy her last days as pain free as possible. If she is falling down a lot would it be ok to give her a roach? When my pit bull ate a roach she was so lethargic but pain free , do you folks think when a dog is medicated like that that it is considered abuse or is it a good deed? My pit bull did not need the roach that was a accident , my fault entirely. But my brothers dog could really use it.... She was on glucosamine food additive for awhile but they stop getting it for her. I wonder if I got her a high CBD strain if it would help her stiff joints be more fluid? Cheers all!

this thread was started 4 months ago but i still see some activity which made me want to post my first comment within the Medical Marijuana For Pets. Before i get started about my experience with helping my companions heal i will source you to some storys that made me start medicating my animals even before they show symptoms of arthritis, tumors, cancer, appetite loss among many other issues.

Charlie the dog gets cannabis cancer treatment - CHARLIE: Humboldt Dog Gets Cannabis Cancer Treatment - DOPE - Defending Our Patients Everywhere - Medical Marijuana Magazine

those are animal storys from real humans sharing storys about their loved ones they cared so much about they were willing to do something federally illegal to save their friends, kids, loved ones and it worked.

With my experience being in the industry for around 10 years i have noticed many different forms to introduce thc/cbd for humans and animals. with all of them seeming to have their own specific category for types of healing. for instance i have extreme nerve damage in my L3-L4 , every minute of every day i feel my pain. it has not only put a heavy burden on my young life but also that of my fiance of 6 years. getting no more then 4 hours of sleep at any time, hurting every time i lay down, sit up, sit down, walk, whatever im doing. when i ride in car's i sit with a coffee thermos behind my lower back. i have always smoked cannabis because of this. i refuse to take any type of pharmaceuticals, including tylenal, bayer, ibuprofen, etc. however it wasnt till just recently when i discovered that if i take RSO in the morning i can tolerate my pain for a few hours without much thought. take it a hour before i lay down for bed, and i can fall asleep with no pain, add a Concentrated oil hit on top of that and i can sleep for 6-8 hrs and wake up with no pain for a hr or two till i take my next dose of RSO.

so when i seen these storys and i know this plant has helped me with my life i knew that my 4 year old (human years) and 5 year old (human years) cat are getting old them selves, and will most likely start getting arthrites pain as well as developing other issues as life goes on. so i decided before any of this happens from the storys i have read that i would change the diet of my animals and also add any type of cannabis into their diet in the best possible form and way. while researching for a few months and watching other patients with their companions in need i came to the conclusion that if you can infuse the RSO and or Cocunut oil into homemade treats and give them one in the AM and one in the PM it would work perfect so they wouldnt be medicated during the day but would have the medical effects curing their insides. now it came to the tricky part of deciding the dosage for your companion, and this mainly will depend on your animals weight. my 4 year old terrier for instance is 22-25lbs and very healthy, solid muscle, lots of energy, all the way around just shines. my fiance and i decided that we would start him out on homemade peanut butter biscuit treats (peanut butter medicated cookies are the best tasting) his treats are actually so healthy humans can eat them, the link at the bottom will provide the recipe i use just switch butter for medicated butter and or coconut oil. now making your own you will not know the dosage amount unless your experienced with making medibles. i recommend starting low as possible, you can always add more down the road but to strong of treats can be a waste of expensive butter. if you live in a state of medical cannabis then you can usually purchase animal treats that have been lab tested so you know exactly what ur giving ur dog. i recently found another collective that offers 15mg dog treats, which are perfect for my little guy! if your dog is 50+ lbs give him 30mg and see how he acts.

"Cannabis is bad for your companions"
trust me i have heard this as well in my research, but from what i have seen in person and on forums is that the majority that give their companion medical marijuana is the same amount that they would take MG wise to get the person themselves medicated. this will result in your animal just as humans getting to medicated and being uncomftorable. they will not move, theyll lay in one spot for hr to hrs and look sad. their insides dont feel good, they wont respond well with the medicine in that high dosage it will counter actually making them sick.

best of wishes to you and your companions. i would say once you beat the illness your fighting, dont stop using a cure that has no negative effects, just happiness.

GFC

Curious, what method do you use to medicate your concentrate? Digesting, Gum method? Have you tried this method for daytime use instead of waiting before bedtime and simply ingesting the concentrate?

This could be of interest too you. Cannabis Oil Dosing Tutorial: Tacking Method . This method allows for daytime use with no euphoric and heals aliments much more quickly. I'm still trying to figure out an application for pets this way also as they would heal without any lethargic euphoric feelings while they heal. If you tried this method for 3 weeks, stopped and when back to the way you dose now you would easily see the difference in the healing properties. Just an option. Perhaps we could come up with an application method for our loved pets.

Thank you for your informed post!

If you are asking about myself, it depends on my pain level. I make my own RSO and BHO, RSO i use to rub on my gums yes but about a week ago ordered some 100% non gmo/vegan made capsules so i can put my RSO into the capsules and have a slower time released effect. i have not been able to try this method yet however i did receive the capsules two days ago and plan on making RSO the second i get time away from our shop, And will let you all know how it effects me (however i dont believe this method would be practical with your companion) when it comes to companions the easiest form i have seen is adding into their food/treats. yes, I have medicated during the day using RSO and realistically i am always medicated. the second i wake up to the second i fall asleep i am medicated. with that said i believe if you find your neutral spot you can medicate all day as well and no one will know. i use to be around 5 diamond golf resorts building houses medicated all 8 hrs talking with both sides of the railroad track type of people and no one knew unless i wanted them to.

seeing the thread of yours, you dirrected me to, i will try that on my self and will try with my 4 year old terrier to see how easy it is to apply and manage with our companions. i just rubbed randomly on my gums not thinking there was a specific pathway "highway" to any specific organ or area of my body. but it makes complete sense, thank you and i will let you guys know. glad to be part of the community here.

I'm currently giving my mother's dying wiener dog(liver failure) at first it was just pure CBD tincture that I had used before getting a CBD dominant strain of cannabis for myself and making my own extract & coconut oil tincture...

The vet cannot believe the dog is still living. It can occasionally eat very little but still loves when we take her to the dog park and I can safely assume is not in very much pain though still likely to die. We aren't giving up but the CBD dominant strain of cannabis I was using has run out and won't be back for at least a month or so.

I'm looking to drive into Vegas since there's a dispense that claims to have Charlotte's Web and since I'm from Arizona & Nevada has reciprocity, well that's closer than the Phoenix area...

But if cannabis is bad for dogs then this is the right kind of wrong and I want more for myself and my mom's pup.

Nice post & welcome to 420 Magazine! You could use any high cbd strain (Harley-Tsu has a staggering 20-1 CBD/THC). All animals I've seen treated so far have been doing much better. I know a couple will die, but won't suffer from pain. Great idea making your own, you will love the quality control :)

I'm currently giving my mother's dying wiener dog(liver failure) at first it was just pure CBD tincture that I had used before getting a CBD dominant strain of cannabis for myself and making my own extract & coconut oil tincture...

The vet cannot believe the dog is still living. It can occasionally eat very little but still loves when we take her to the dog park and I can safely assume is not in very much pain though still likely to die. We aren't giving up but the CBD dominant strain of cannabis I was using has run out and won't be back for at least a month or so.

I'm looking to drive into Vegas since there's a dispense that claims to have Charlotte's Web and since I'm from Arizona & Nevada has reciprocity, well that's closer than the Phoenix area...

But if cannabis is bad for dogs then this is the right kind of wrong and I want more for myself and my mom's pup.

harley-tsu?? i havent seen this lady yet..!

assuming its Harlequin mixed with sour tsunami? i have both those going right now (not often do you wish for a male)

Some info: Our best CBD strain currently available. We had great results with Harle-Tsu in 2012. A Harle-Tsu won Highest CBD award at the Emerald Cup,testing at 20% CBD and less than 1% THC. For a CBD variety it grows like an indica, short, stout and sweet.
Sour Tsunami male and Harlequin clone.
75% chance of being CBD rich!
Info from a seed bank

I once read an article that stated low cbd gets you up and high cbd's induce sleep. Just had some Harlequin clocked in at 14% cbd (flower)-full term. Total couch lock! Had to do some blending to get my system right and took 4 days to do so, lol. This mix with Blackberry Kush (full term) puts your arse down for the count at night :)

Very smart to grow the hard to find strains when you need them! Props Bro!

HEALING PETS WITH NON-PSYCHOACTIVE FORMS OF MEDICAL MMJ:
Recent scientific studies are revealing many medical benefits derived from using the whole MJ plant in its raw forms. THCA and CBDA are currently the most commonly known cannabinoid compounds. I have successfully used CBDa and THCa based products to help my two cats and two dogs.

FINDING COMMERCIAL SOURCES OF CBD, CBDA: Note: if you are in a non-legal state, you will not have access to THCA.
As a California MedMJ patient, I was legally able to obtain all these products at my local MedMJ dispensary. The products I currently am using for myself and my pets are organically sourced oils and tinctures are made by CBD Alive, Fiddler's Greens, Bluebird Botanicals, and Source Naturals. There are many other sellers who sell excellent products. I chose mine based on recommendations from friends and my own searches through customer reviews on websites of sellers who include both positive and negative reviews..

If you are not in a legalized state, you can buy CBD oils online. Look for a seller who meets these basic criteria: (a) products are sourced from organically grown plants and, (b) products are tested by an independent, legitimately certified third party laboratory, (c) the lab's test results results are currently published and easily available on the seller's website, and (d) has the batch number and date clearly displayed on each container of their products, (e) has readily available, prompt, personalized customer service to answer your questions, (f) uses only flowers or flowers with leaves; no stems , stalks or branches.

HIGH CBD STRAINS:
There is increasing demand for products made from CBD-dominant strains (e.g. AC/DC, Charlotte's Web, Spectrum #12, Harlequin, Corazon), for patients of all ages who do not want to experience the "high" commonly associated with MJ. There are innumerable examples of very sick children who respond well to CBD oils. Take for example, the case of Charlotte Figg whose intractable epileptic bouts were alleviated and almost eliminated when the Stanley brothers gave her a low THC, high CBD oil. Pets are becoming a burgeoning market for non-psychoactive CBD products.

Today, Jan 2018, these commercially available THCa and CBDa oils and tinctures cost, on average, $70 and more per ounce. For many pet owners like me, the high cost was my incentive to grow my own medicine. The initial high cost for seeds plus equipment, tools, and other things required for a successful harvest seems daunting until one considers the cumulative cost of many one-ounce bottles being used over time to alleviate a chronic health condition.

CATS & DOGS:
I buy CBD oil that contains 300mg or 500mg potency. Some companies make higher potency oil for horses and other farm animals. Search online for reputable sources. Amount of dose will depend on animal's weight. I base my dose for my dogs on the general guidelines in Dogs Naturally Magazine which bases dose amount on a pet's weight

How to dose your pet is a personal dynamic between you and your pet. My standard of pet care is "Do no harm" by achieving compliance through non-coercive methods reinforced with generous, well-timed delicious treats. Cats like fishy stuff, dogs seem to work harder for liver and bacon flavors.

For my finicky Cats who receive two meals per day, mealtime is the best time. Their breakfast is always cause for celebration after their long nighttime fast. I use a 3 ml syringe (available on Amazon) to measure oil for my cats. It is always better to dose each pet separately. Since one cat weighs 16 lbs and the other weigh 7 lbs, I dose them separately. I put a tablespoon of wet food on a serving spoon or large tablespoon, add the appropriate dose of oil and mixthe oil with my finger into the dollop of wet food. Then let kitty lick my finger and finish the food in the spoon. I buy organic canned cat food from Costco. My local Costco warehouse currently carries I Love My Cat canned food, and Nature's Domain Organic Canned Cat Food).

My Dogs are dedicated food seeking gourmands who will eat anything I offer them after I ask them to sit and wait for their "cookie". One dog weighs 120 lbs. The other dog weighs 50 lbs. I use a 5 ml syringe for the dogs. I take a piece of good bread, cut it in half, fold each half so I have two "servings". I measure, with syringe, the appropriate dose for one dog, put that dose on one "serving" of bread, and quickly do the same for the other dog. I have trained my dogs to sit and wait for a treat, so it is easy for me to place their "treats" of oil-dosed bread into their mouths,

GROWING YOUR OWN MEDS TO SAVE MONEY AND EATING RAW MJ FOR HOLISTIC EFFECTS:
You can go to your organically grown plants, pluck a few leaves and a bit of bud, put it in your regular smoothie. Ifnyou have already harvested and dried, you can still spice up your smoothie with unheated bud.

I

HEALING PETS WITH NON-PSYCHOACTIVE FORMS OF MEDICAL MMJ:
Recent scientific studies are revealing many medical benefits derived from using the whole MJ plant in its raw forms. THCA and CBDA are currently the most commonly known cannabinoid compounds. I have successfully used CBDa and THCa based products to help my two cats and two dogs.

FINDING COMMERCIAL SOURCES OF CBD, CBDA: Note: if you are in a non-legal state, you will not have access to THCA.
As a California MedMJ patient, I was legally able to obtain all these products at my local MedMJ dispensary. The products I currently am using for myself and my pets are organically sourced oils and tinctures are made by CBD Alive, Fiddler's Greens, Bluebird Botanicals, and Source Naturals. There are many other sellers who sell excellent products. I chose mine based on recommendations from friends and my own searches through customer reviews on websites of sellers who include both positive and negative reviews..

If you are not in a legalized state, you can buy CBD oils online. Look for a seller who meets these basic criteria: (a) products are sourced from organically grown plants and, (b) products are tested by an independent, legitimately certified third party laboratory, (c) the lab's test results results are currently published and easily available on the seller's website, and (d) has the batch number and date clearly displayed on each container of their products, (e) has readily available, prompt, personalized customer service to answer your questions, (f) uses only flowers or flowers with leaves; no stems , stalks or branches.

HIGH CBD STRAINS:
There is increasing demand for products made from CBD-dominant strains (e.g. AC/DC, Charlotte's Web, Spectrum #12, Harlequin, Corazon), for patients of all ages who do not want to experience the "high" commonly associated with MJ. There are innumerable examples of very sick children who respond well to CBD oils. Take for example, the case of Charlotte Figg whose intractable epileptic bouts were alleviated and almost eliminated when the Stanley brothers gave her a low THC, high CBD oil. Pets are becoming a burgeoning market for non-psychoactive CBD products.

Today, Jan 2018, these commercially available THCa and CBDa oils and tinctures cost, on average, $70 and more per ounce. For many pet owners like me, the high cost was my incentive to grow my own medicine. The initial high cost for seeds plus equipment, tools, and other things required for a successful harvest seems daunting until one considers the cumulative cost of many one-ounce bottles being used over time to alleviate a chronic health condition.

CATS & DOGS:
I buy CBD oil that contains 300mg or 500mg potency. Some companies make higher potency oil for horses and other farm animals. Search online for reputable sources. Amount of dose will depend on animal's weight. I base my dose for my dogs on the general guidelines in Dogs Naturally Magazine which bases dose amount on a pet's weight

How to dose your pet is a personal dynamic between you and your pet. My standard of pet care is "Do no harm" by achieving compliance through non-coercive methods reinforced with generous, well-timed delicious treats. Cats like fishy stuff, dogs seem to work harder for liver and bacon flavors.

For my finicky Cats who receive two meals per day, mealtime is the best time. Their breakfast is always cause for celebration after their long nighttime fast. I use a 3 ml syringe (available on Amazon) to measure oil for my cats. It is always better to dose each pet separately. Since one cat weighs 16 lbs and the other weigh 7 lbs, I dose them separately. I put a tablespoon of wet food on a serving spoon or large tablespoon, add the appropriate dose of oil and mixthe oil with my finger into the dollop of wet food. Then let kitty lick my finger and finish the food in the spoon. I buy organic canned cat food from Costco. My local Costco warehouse currently carries I Love My Cat canned food, and Nature's Domain Organic Canned Cat Food).

My Dogs are dedicated food seeking gourmands who will eat anything I offer them after I ask them to sit and wait for their "cookie". One dog weighs 120 lbs. The other dog weighs 50 lbs. I use a 5 ml syringe for the dogs. I take a piece of good bread, cut it in half, fold each half so I have two "servings". I measure, with syringe, the appropriate dose for one dog, put that dose on one "serving" of bread, and quickly do the same for the other dog. I have trained my dogs to sit and wait for a treat, so it is easy for me to place their "treats" of oil-dosed bread into their mouths,

GROWING YOUR OWN MEDS TO SAVE MONEY AND EATING RAW MJ FOR HOLISTIC EFFECTS:
You can go to your organically grown plants, pluck a few leaves and a bit of bud, put it in your regular smoothie. Ifnyou have already harvested and dried, you can still spice up your smoothie with unheated bud.

I

Anything Yoda has said to a Jedi.

Back
Top Bottom