Cannabis Audiobooks List

GardeningGnome

Hello everyone!

---
Before getting into the subject, I would like to say a few words:
I'm quite new to the 420magazine community. After joining up here, I've found a community that has really embraced me and shown massive support when I decided to (for the first time) open up and write about my past experiences with trauma and how marijuana helped me cope. This community has also given me a leg up on growing my own herb. Starting my own growing journals has opened up the possibility to have professional growers eyeing my ladies to identify potential problems and sharing quality advice and feedback. Plus, it is a lot of fun to get some love regarding the grow and it's progress.

If anyone is interested, please do read intimate my introduction and/or follow my grow journal. Links are located at the bottom of this post.

Digital hugs all around.
----

Back to the subject of this post!

I'm someone that enjoys reading in general but audiobooks have a special place in my heart. Having some music playing in the background is standard for me, but during the last couple of years the audiobooks have been taking over. It's an excellent way to both "have some company" in an otherwise quiet house and at the same time learning about a subject or consume a novella. I suggest that you also get the books in the traditional format. Reading and not listening usually get stores information better/differently in your memory, so both reading a book and listening to an audiobook will surely help you memorize the information.

Since the subject of cannabis is particularly interesting I've collected as many of the audiobooks on the matter. Most of them will have personal notes and one is still on the "to read" list.

Let's get started on the books!!

--
∞ Smoke signals : a social history of marijuana– medical, recreational and scientific
∞ The Botany of Desire
∞ Cannabis Pharmacy: The Practical Guide to Medical Marijuana
∞ How to Smoke Pot (Properly): A Highbrow Guide to Getting High
∞ Cannabis for Chronic Pain: A Proven Prescription for Using Marijuana to Relieve Your Pain and Heal Your Life
∞ Cannabis - Philosophy for Everyone: What Were We Just Talking About?
∞ Jesse Ventura’s Marijuana Manifesto: How Lies, Corruption, and Propaganda Kept Cannabis Illegal
--

-----------------------------------------------------------------

smoke_signals.jpg

∞ Smoke signals : a social history of marijuana– medical, recreational and scientific
Author: Martin A. Lee
Narrator: Nick Podehl
Length: 21 hours, 36 minutes
Release date: August 14th, 2012

Personal Note: Excellent book on the history of herb. It really dives into all the different aspects of cannabis history, starting from the early beginnings up to the present day. Many other books fall short when it comes to describing the whole journey of cannabis, only describing segments of it or written from a geographically narrow perspective. This book leaves no stone unturned. Highly recommended.

Summary:
Martin A. Lee traces the dramatic social history of marijuana, from its origins to its emergence in the 1960s as a defining force in a culture war that has never ceased. Lee describes how the illicit marijuana subculture overcame government opposition and morphed into a dynamic, multibillion-dollar industry. Lee, an award-winning investigative journalist, draws attention to underreported scientific breakthroughs that are reshaping the therapeutic landscape. By mining the plant’s rich pharmacopoeia, medical researchers have developed promising treatments for cancer, heart disease, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, chronic pain, and many other conditions that are beyond the reach of conventional cures.

Colorful, illuminating, and at times irreverent, this is a fascinating listen for recreational users and patients, students and doctors, musicians and accountants, Baby Boomers and their kids, and anyone who has ever wondered about the secret life of this ubiquitous herb.

botany_of_desire.jpg

∞ The Botany of Desire
Author: Michael Pollan
Narrator: Scott Brick
Length: 8 hours, 49 minutes
Released: May 28th, 2002

Personal note: This was an exhilarating listen! It is not a book only about cannabis but instead takes the reader on a botanical journey with four different plants in the spotlight: apple, tulip, marijuana, and potato. Pollan then links each plant with different human desires that we have, and how we have benefited from them and in turn how the plants have benefited and evolved with our help. The part about cannabis will make you cringe in the beginning, but don't worry, he nails it in the end. Highly recommended!

Summary:
In 1637, one Dutchman paid as much for a single tulip bulb as the going price of a town house in Amsterdam. Three and a half centuries later, Amsterdam is once again the mecca for people who care passionately about one particular plant — thought this time the obsessions revolves around the intoxicating effects of marijuana rather than the visual beauty of the tulip.

In The Botany of Desire, Michael Pollan argues that the answer lies at the heart of the intimately reciprocal relationship between people and plants. In telling the stories of four familiar plant species that are deeply woven into the fabric of our lives, Pollan illustrates how they evolved to satisfy humankinds’s most basic yearnings — and by doing so made themselves indispensable.

Weaving fascinating anecdotes and accessible science into gorgeous prose, Pollan takes us on an absorbing journey that will change the way we think about our place in nature.

how_to_smoke_pot.jpg

∞ How to Smoke Pot (Properly): A Highbrow Guide to Getting High
Author: David Bienenstock
Narrator: Graham Halstead
Length: 7 hours, 36 minutes
Released: April 12th, 2016
Personal note: Humorous listen! A book that doesn't really have a story-line, but jumps from topic to topic in a chilled and fun way. The author quotes the above-mentioned book "Smoke Signals" when it comes to the history of cannabis instead of trying to summarize it himself in a half-assed way (great!). He rips other journalists for being d*ckbags and uninformed, teaches newcomers about different ways of smoking herb, writes about trends and people he met during his time as High Times editor. Many topics, much fun. A well-rounded book that will make you smile and laugh a few times.

Summary:
In How to Smoke Pot (Properly), VICE weed columnist and former High Times editor David Bienenstock charts the course for this bold, new, post-prohibition world. With plenty of stops along the way for “pro tips” from friends in high places, including cannabis celebrities and thought leaders of the marijuana movement, readers will learn everything from the basics of blazing, to how Mary Jane makes humans more creative and collaborative, nurtures empathy, catalyzes epiphanies, enhances life’s pleasures, promotes meaningful social bonds, facilitates cross-cultural understanding, and offers a far safer alternative to both alcohol and many pharmaceutical drugs.

You’ll follow the herb’s natural lifecycle from farm to pipe, explore cannabis customs, culture and travel, and discover how to best utilize and appreciate a plant that’s at once a lifesaving medicine, an incredibly nutritious food, an amazingly useful industrial crop, and a truly renewable energy source. You’ll even get funny and informative answers to burning questions ranging from: How can I land a legal pot job? to Should I eat a weed cookie before boarding the plane?

Remember, marijuana has the potential to help us live more meaningful, satisfying and authentic lives, and create safer, happier, more harmonious communities, but first we must learn to consume this miracle plant properly.

cannabis_pharmacy.jpg

∞ Cannabis Pharmacy: The Practical Guide to Medical Marijuana
Authors: Michael Backes, Andrew Weil
Narrator: Ron Butler
Lenght: 15 hours, 29 minutes
Released: November 14th, 2017
Personal Note: Best audiobook when it comes to the topic of medical marijuana. A lot of information that is useful and this book dives into the deep end more than other books. Highly recommended.

Summary:
In Cannabis Pharmacy, expert Michael Backes offers evidence-based information on using cannabis to treat an array of ailments and conditions. He provides information on how cannabis works with the body’s own system, how best to prepare and administer it, and how to modify and control dosage.

This newly revised edition is now completely up to date with the latest information on the body’s encannabinoid system, which is now understood to control emotion, appetite, and memory; delivery and dosing of cannabis, including e-cigarette designs; additional varietals; and a new system for classification as well as 21 additional ailments and conditions that can be treated with medical marijuana.

There are currently more than 4.2 million medical cannabis patients in the United States, and there are 29 states plus the District of Columbia where medical cannabis is legal.

cannabis_for_chronic_pain.jpg

∞ Cannabis for Chronic Pain: A Proven Prescription for Using Marijuana to Relieve Your Pain and Heal Your Life
Author: by Dr. Rav Ivker
Narrator: Arthur Morey
Length: 12 hours, 43 minutes
Released: September 12th, 2017
Personal Note: Good book on the subject of medicinal marijuana and chronic illnesses and lists several examples. It takes a bit more holistic approach like food and acid/alkaline effects on our bodies and the importance of exercise. Recommended!

Summary:
The first authoritative and comprehensive guide for treating chronic pain with medical marijuana from a family physician who has treated more than six thousand chronic pain patients with cannabis.

While the number of patients using medical marijuana increases every year, misconceptions about cannabis and whether it’s harmful or dangerous still exist. In Cannabis for Chronic Pain, Dr. Rav explains the potential of marijuana’s capacity for healing anyone afflicted with chronic pain. Medical marijuana is a safe, non-addictive alternative to dangerous opiate pain pills.

Along with sharing his own story of using medical marijuana to heal from a severe case of shingles, Dr. Rav guides you through the cannabis and holistic treatment for your specific chronic pain condition. If you are suffering from arthritis, back pain, migraines, fibromyalgia, menstrual cramps, IBS, Crohn’s Disease, anxiety, depression, or pain from cancer or its treatment, this may be the book for you.

Dr. Rav offers step by step instruction on the benefits and appropriate use of medical marijuana. And he dispels many of the misconceptions. Did you know that you don’t have to smoke or eat cannabis for it to be effective? There are now patches and drops. We are entering a new age of acceptance and perhaps most importantly, as Dr. Rav highlights, it is now possible to create a distinct cannabis prescription for different types of chronic pain. Find what works for you and finally get the relief you need.

jesse_venturas_marijuana_manifesto.jpg

∞ Jesse Ventura’s Marijuana Manifesto: How Lies, Corruption, and Propaganda Kept Cannabis Illegal
Authors: Jesse Ventura, Jen Hobbs
Narrator: Paul Woodson
Length: 10 hours, 30 minutes
Released: September 6th, 2016
Personal Note: Not really my cup of tea. Usually, I have no problem with Jesse and his unique persona, but this book seems like a mash-up of quickly put together personal stories and briefly summarized facts. Perhaps this book got rushed to get some easy cash on a topic that has been close to his heart for a long long time. I'll give this book another go in the future, but at the moment it had too much of a rant vibe about it.

Summary:
In this groundbreaking book, bestselling author Jesse Ventura lays out his philosophy on marijuana, and why he’s always been in favor of legalization. Now, more than ever before, our country needs to see full legalization of medical/recreational marijuana and hemp.

Any way you look at it, for whoever is using it, marijuana is a medicinal plant in abundant supply. Every month and every year that goes by, we find out more positive things about it. Marijuana has been demonized through the years, but obviously this plant has a great deal of positive attributes, and it’s a renewable resource.

Being a cash crop, marijuana is bad for the pharmaceutical industry. Is Big Pharma pressuring the government to continue to deny sick people access? If so, that’s truly a crime against American citizens. And, as Jesse Ventura writes, “Our government won’t do the right thing and legalize marijuana unless we the people demand it, because there are so many people within our government on the payroll, all thanks to the War on Drugs.”

Jesse Ventura’s Marijuana Manifesto calls for an end to the War on Drugs. Just because something is illegal, that doesn’t mean it goes away; it just means that criminals run it. Legalizing marijuana will serve to rejuvenate our pathetic economy and just might make people a little happier. Ventura’s book will show us all how we can take our country back.

philosophy_for_everyone.jpg

∞ Cannabis - Philosophy for Everyone: What Were We Just Talking About?
Authors: Jacquette Dale, Rick Cusick, Fritz Allhoff
Narrator: Erik Davies
Length: 11 hours, 22 minutes
Released: January 24th, 2011
Personal Note: Still on my "to read/listen to" list. It sounds like an interesting book with a different angle.

Summary:
The debate on the status and legality of cannabis continues to gain momentum. Here, personal anecdotes combined with academic and scientific reports combine to sharpen some of the fascinating philosophical issues associated with cannabis use.

* A frank, professionally informed and playful discussion of cannabis usage in relation to philosophical inquiry

* Considers the meaning of a ‘high’, the morality of smoking marijuana for pleasure, the slippery slope to more dangerous drugs, and the human drive to alter our consciousness

* Not only incorporates contributions from philosophers, psychologists, sociologists or legal, pharmacological, and medical experts, but also non-academics associated with the cultivation, distribution, and sale of cannabis

* Brings together an international team of writers from the United States, Canada, UK, Finland, Switzerland, South Africa, and New Zealand

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Thanks for the audiobook tips. I’ve been into them for years- especially after some vision problems. Got any non-cannabis related favorites too? I’d be interested to hear- though it may have to got to an ‘off topic’ thread.

Thanks for the audiobook tips. I’ve been into them for years- especially after some vision problems. Got any non-cannabis related favorites too? I’d be interested to hear- though it may have to got to an ‘off topic’ thread.

Oh heaven to Betsy, YES!
Let me put together a list for you @Weaselcracker , no problems at all. My pleasure. Is there something you enjoy more/less? For me, a good scifi book, a smooth narrator, and some herb? Yes please!

Oh heaven to Betsy, YES!
Let me put together a list for you @Weaselcracker , no problems at all. My pleasure. Is there something you enjoy more/less? For me, a good scifi book, a smooth narrator, and some herb? Yes please!
And, I love history books as well... One of the most interesting within that area I've come across is called "The Victorian Internet". But I'm getting ahead of myself.... I'll put together a list.

Cool. We can trade discoveries. I love sci-fi and fantasy. But honestly I love anything many things as long as they’re well written and narrated. I’ve had to branch out since I think I pretty much ferreted out all the best narrations in those genres. Now I’m all over the map. Listening to Patrick O’Brian these days (Master and Commander series). Extremely good.
I do have a hard time with second rate narrators. I’ve listened to many incredible books and a few that were pretty terrible.

Back
Top Bottom