Cannabis etiquette?

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
When I was in Istanbul I observed an unusual etiquette among a group of smokers that I found fascinating. The group of smokers was made up of Turks, Pakistanis and an Iranian. The way it worked was that the provider of the hash to be smoked would pass the hash to a member of the group to spin up into a spliff. The gesture of passing the hash over was considered the bestowing of honour and recognition of trust from the group. The person who did the rolling would then pass the unlit spliff back to the provider of the hash who would then pass it to another person who would do the ceremonial lighting of the spliff (another honour bestowed). Once the spliff had been lit, it would then be passed back to the provider of the hash before being passed around the group for a general session. I was impressed by the reverence of the act and how kindness and trust could be rewarded in a subtle yet significant way. There was none of the "me first" or "don't hog the spliff" going on. Even though it was just a social gathering, there was respect for each other and a spiritual guide for consumption.
I was wondering if anyone else out there has had experience with similar herb etiquette. I find the idea of herb etiquette refreshing in a world where the individual often puts himself first before others and overlooks the spiritual aspect of getting high. Others before self - sounds good eh!!!

That's cool, usually when Im smoking w/friends is that the provider of the green smokes first unless he donates. And when someone is rolling blunts or joints that person gets the first hit (I compare it to an artist sampling his work) I've also see people only light half of the bowl and leave the other half green for the next person (saving the green). Usually someone calls whether clockwise or counter clockwise passing any person it doesn't matter

in some of the smokin circles ive been in, any new smokers in the group get the greens on the first bowl/joint/whatever as a kind of "be nice to the newbie" thing, and i've tried to keep this tradition and pass it on.

I've also see people only light half of the bowl and leave the other half green for the next person (saving the green).

I take corner hits every bowl I smoke. I hate it when there's a nice bowl to be smoked and I get handed the bowl and there's no green after one hit.

That's cool, usually when Im smoking w/friends is that the provider of the green smokes first unless he donates. And when someone is rolling blunts or joints that person gets the first hit (I compare it to an artist sampling his work) I've also see people only light half of the bowl and leave the other half green for the next person (saving the green). Usually someone calls whether clockwise or counter clockwise passing any person it doesn't matter

Yeah, only lighting half the bowl is called "quartering" the bowl (usually we only light a quarter of it - hence the name). It's so everyone can get a green hit.

Thats a cool little tradition, Moose.

I try to leave enough green for everybody when we're smoking a bowl. It's just polite. Joints or Blunts, it's whatever. Either the supplier or the roller sparks, doesn't really matter, and theres no specific rotation. Some people pass to the left, some to the right. Usually usually go left. But it doesn't really matter, we're all gonna get it eventually.

When I was in Istanbul I observed an unusual etiquette among a group of smokers that I found fascinating. The group of smokers was made up of Turks, Pakistanis and an Iranian. The way it worked was that the provider of the hash to be smoked would pass the hash to a member of the group to spin up into a spliff. The gesture of passing the hash over was considered the bestowing of honour and recognition of trust from the group. The person who did the rolling would then pass the unlit spliff back to the provider of the hash who would then pass it to another person who would do the ceremonial lighting of the spliff (another honour bestowed). Once the spliff had been lit, it would then be passed back to the provider of the hash before being passed around the group for a general session. I was impressed by the reverence of the act and how kindness and trust could be rewarded in a subtle yet significant way. There was none of the "me first" or "don't hog the spliff" going on. Even though it was just a social gathering, there was respect for each other and a spiritual guide for consumption.
I was wondering if anyone else out there has had experience with similar herb etiquette. I find the idea of herb etiquette refreshing in a world where the individual often puts himself first before others and overlooks the spiritual aspect of getting high. Others before self - sounds good eh!!!
:cheesygrinsmiley: G'day mate! Nice to hear about Turkey...hash capital of earth right? After watching "Midnight Express" about a college kid trying to smuggle hash out of Turkey, I'm relieved to hear no such story from you!:laughtwo: Manners are a must even with other users...I always offer my friends/guests the 1st draw, because I'm usually the one w/ the goods. The only exception would be with a new purchase...I must have the 1st taste...just like the one who orders the wine @ dinner smells & samples the 1st taste.:smokin:

Hey Zed, Turkish hash rocks. I have to disappoint you though. I was actually locked up in Turkey in 1977, but not for hash. I had been caught smuggling cars and ended up spending 4 months in Sagmalicar - the same prison Billy Hayes was in. I was in a couple of years after him, but prior to the release of "Midnight Express". If you are curious check out my posting history - "Turkish memories."
I'm older and wiser now, but still have that hankering for Turkish hash.
Have a great day mate.
ps. it's great seeing that others appreciate the finer points of etiquette too. I would love to hear from others how they respect the sharing of herb.

With the people I know, the provider of the weed usually lets the other person (or if in a group the person to the right) get the green on the first bowl or jay. On the second however, the provider gets the green.

It is nice to see a kind of weed ediquette as you put it.
I belive in good manners in general and despise rudeness.

In a big group of people it is just good manners to puff and
pass it around. In even bigger groups we usually have 2 joints
on the go. :)

At my house, if I'm here with just my fella, I roll so therefore he light's and I take second dib's ( I roll because he can't!)
If I'm at home with my fella and goosiebaby, I roll and I offer but almost certainly get the pleasure of lighting!
If I'm at home having a weed party,I roll plenty and I often get offered first dib's because of all the effort I've put in... and all my wonderful friends leave behind joints, pieces of pot and bits of weed to show their appreciation for all my efforts!
I would never ask for first dib's even if I had rolled my own weed,I'd always always offer it first, I'd never ask for a joint to be passed along I'd sooner roll myself another just for me...lol. But I think it's ignorant not to share!

My friends and I combine many of these rituals such as. dutchi goes to the left no matter what. If we are hitting the bong it always sarts with the man who packed it his girlfriend or a person he gives it to. If we get too high and forget rotation we like to play marco polo...the man with the herb says marco and whoever says polo first gets the pot and the rotation will re-start from there.
When smoking bowls there is no reason for a bowl not to still have green after 3 hits, we can usualy get 4 greens then its all free game after that.

Usually we used to do it this way: Whoever rolls it or packs it gets to light it. The provider gets second or s/he can choose whoever gets it. Usually if we are in a group and there is someone we have not seen in a while they get second hit. What alot of people find weird though is sometimes we would roll one and only smoke it between another person or two. It's kind of special thing that everybody understands seeing usually by the end of the night everyone is good and baked as it is.

thats not quite true. depends what friends you have. if youre with a couple of friends and you all dont have weed. then you share it,first the roller lights it, then who paid the weed and ....

but for what i can say, i love to smoke my own :) we share, but its most of the time just because they are smoking something diffrent and you want to taste it. otherwise its nice to smoke ur own joint. why wouldnt you if everyone has weed?

there are a few "rules of etiquitte" that we have when we smoke... when its just me and my boyfriend we usually dont have rules or whatever.

#1. Rollsies Sparksies thats like the most important one(i could honestly care less who gets the first damn hit bc im still going to get to smoke but its w/e). if its a bowl, whoever put up the weed/packed it up gets to spark, then he/she passes it in whichever direction they choose. if its at my house and were hittin the grav, my boyfriend packs the hits and he always gets the first one , then whoever put up the weed gets the next hit.

#2 .(& i cant believe no body has said this) No ciggarettes are allowed while the joint/blunt/bowl is lit, and the blunt or what ever it is that is being smoked cannot be lit until everyone has finished any ciggarettes they might be smoking.

#3. Dont Drop it!

#4. Dont sleep on it

#5. Dont boat it!! if you do fix it before you pass it (blunts)

theres more but i cant think of them on the spot.

Back
Top Bottom