Cannabis for Cancer

Founder
one of my family members has cancer...
she is undergoing chemo...
she has never smoked weed in her life...
i'm trying to talk her into it for the nausea, appetite, insomnia and depression...
she is open to discussion and has asked me to find proof that Cannabis will not effect her condition or have any bad reaction with the drugs she is currently taking to battle these things...
she wants to be able to supply this information to her doctor for further discussion before actually blazing...
if you guys can help me find all information possible, on this subject and re-post it here, you just may help save her life... or at least make it more enjoyable...

thanks and much love to you all.

Sorry to hear that. My aunt was diagnost with breast cancer about 10 years ago and she fought it and today she's good as new. =) Best of luck with your family member. As she was undergoing chemo she was using marijuana. I know that this helped her alot. Anyways, I'll look into it bro, there must be some med research or info out there.

this is happening to millions of lives...
and getting worse every day...
let's see how much information we can dig up here...
let's keep government paid studies out of this, as they are going to be one sided and probably against us...as usual.

I tryed to convince my mom that MJ would have made it easier on her when she was going through chemo but she wouldn't listen... instead, she missed meals and sat infront of the tv in pain. Luckily, she made it through the chemo in less then seven months with a 100% recovery (even got all her hair back) but she still suffered an unnessisary amount.

Best wishes to your familys 420 and qWerty

i'm waiting for a list of meds she is taking...

while we're at it, does anyone have any information on oxygen treatments?
i once met a guy who said he worked in a doctor's office issuing oxygen treatments for $20,000 that were curing cancer, aids, everything...
they pass your blood through 100% oxygen, end results, perfect disease free blood... no more viruses, cancer, disease, etc...
the government will not allow it to be a public service obviously, because then everyone would get better and it would screw up thier master plan...
anyone have any info on this?

thanks!

Sorry to hear about your situation 420. .. my father fought for 2 hard years with stomache cancer. . . When the chemo and other meds started coming he found himself with no appitite and couldn't sleep. It took a little convincing, but I set him up. . . and it helped a little with the appitite, but really helped him with sleeping. It was painful for him to eat after they removed part of his stomache, so MJ was hard pressed for relief I suppose. . . I know he had some literature to show his doctors about MJ, I might still have it. . . I'll keep you posted. . .

Again, I'm sorry. . .its tough :peace:

thanks bro, i too lost my grandmother to cancer...
watched her die slowly for 5 years...
at the rate things are going, it is most certain all of us will have more and more relatives with cancer, including ourselves...

everyone, please post as much information as you can find on cannabis for cancer... please re-post this info and include the link to the source at the end... this way we can view all the text here in this thread without having to goto 420 different websites...

thanks!

okay gang...
here's the info we were waiting for...

as of october with the results of my last ct scan & my last PET scan my cancer is in remission...

my original diagnosis was adenocarcinoma of the ovaries in 96'
today is the same cancer with a 3 recurrence of metastesis in both lungs which came back in 2002...

my meds are...

Tamoxifen 20mg for maintenance 1 a day,
Byetta 10mg 2 aday for blood sugar,
Propranolol (inderal) 10mg 2 a day for hypertension,

last chemotherapy was in Aug 2006 with Doxil.

I hope this info can help you in your research, thank you again.

If she is conscious about her health suggest eating it as oppose to smoking it, there is nothing unhealthy about eating it where as smoking it we all know it is an extremely tar filled plant. Edibles are often overlooked and this suggestion might help her feel more comfortable trying this plant as a form of medicine.

Melissa Etheridge says she smoked medicinal Marijuana to help with the side effects of chemotherapy during her treatment for breast cancer. The 44 year old singer, who was diagnosed more than a year ago, is now cancer free. "instead of taking five or six of the prescriptions, I decided to go a natural route and smoke Marijuana."
(Etheridge says in an interview to air Sunday on Dateline NBC)

Researchers surprised to find no link between marijuana, lung cancer
Study's findings apply even to heavy pot smokers

The largest study of its kind has unexpectedly concluded that smoking marijuana, even regularly and heavily, does not lead to lung cancer.

The new findings "were against our expectations," said Dr. Donald Tashkin, a UCLA pulmonologist who has studied marijuana for 30 years.

"We hypothesized that there would be a positive association between marijuana use and lung cancer and that the association would be more positive with heavier use," he said. "What we found instead was no association at all, and even a suggestion of some protective effect."

Federal health and drug enforcement officials have widely used Tashkin's previous work on marijuana to make the case that the drug is dangerous. Tashkin said that while he still believes marijuana is potentially harmful, its cancer-causing effects appear to be of less concern than previously thought.

Earlier work established that marijuana does contain cancer-causing chemicals as potentially harmful as those in tobacco, he said. However, marijuana also contains the chemical THC, which he said may kill aging cells and keep them from becoming cancerous.

Tashkin's study, funded by the National Institutes of Health's National Institute on Drug Abuse, involved 1,200 people in Los Angeles who had lung, neck or head cancer and an additional 1,040 people without cancer matched by age, sex and neighborhood.

They were all asked about their lifetime use of marijuana, tobacco and alcohol. The heaviest marijuana smokers had lit up more than 22,000 times, while moderately heavy usage was defined as smoking 11,000 to 22,000 marijuana cigarettes. Tashkin found that even the very heavy marijuana smokers showed no increased incidence of the three cancers studied.

"This is the largest case-control study ever done, and everyone had to fill out a very extensive questionnaire about marijuana use," he said. "Bias can creep into any research, but we controlled for as many confounding factors as we could, and so I believe these results have real meaning."

Tashkin's group at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA had hypothesized that marijuana would raise the risk of cancer on the basis of earlier small human studies, lab studies of animals and the fact that marijuana users inhale more deeply and generally hold smoke in their lungs longer than tobacco smokers -- exposing them to the dangerous chemicals for a longer time. In addition, Tashkin said, previous studies found that marijuana tar has 50 percent higher concentrations of chemicals linked to cancer than tobacco cigarette tar.

While no association between marijuana smoking and cancer was found, the study findings, presented to the American Thoracic Society International Conference this week, did find a 20-fold increase in lung cancer among people who smoked two or more packs of cigarettes a day.

The study was limited to people younger than 60 because those older than that were generally not exposed to marijuana use in their youth, when it is most frequently tried.

Researchers surprised to find no link between marijuana, lung cancer / Study's findings apply even to heavy pot smokers

Marijuana Use in Supportive Care for Cancer Patients

Marijuana Use in Supportive Care for Cancer Patients

Cancer, and cancer therapies and their side effects, may cause a variety of problems for cancer patients. Chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting, and anorexia and cachexia are conditions that affect many individuals with cancer.

Nausea and Vomiting

Some anticancer drugs cause nausea and vomiting because they affect parts of the brain that control vomiting and/or irritate the stomach lining. The severity of these symptoms depends on several factors, including the chemotherapeutic agent(s) used, the dose, the schedule, and the patient's reaction to the drug(s). The management of nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapy is an important part of care for cancer patients whenever it occurs. Although patients usually receive antiemetics , drugs that help control nausea and vomiting, there is no single best approach to reducing these symptoms in all patients. Doctors must tailor antiemetic therapy to meet each individual's needs, taking into account the type of anticancer drugs being administered; the patient's general condition, age, and related factors; and, of course, the extent to which the antiemetic is helpful.

There has been much interest in the use of marijuana to treat a number of medical problems, including chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting in cancer patients. Two forms of marijuana have been used: compounds related to the active chemical constituent of marijuana taken by mouth and marijuana cigarettes. Dronabinol (Marinol®), a synthetic form of the active marijuana constituent delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), is available by prescription for use as an antiemetic. In 1985, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved its use for the treatment of nausea and vomiting associated with cancer chemotherapy in patients who had not responded to the standard antiemetic drugs.

National Cancer Institute (NCI) scientists feel that other antiemetic drugs or combinations of antiemetic drugs have been shown to be more effective than synthetic THC as "first-line therapy" for nausea and vomiting caused by anticancer drugs. Examples include drugs called serotonin antagonists, including ondansetron (Zofran®) and granisetron (Kytril®), used alone or combined with dexamethasone (a steroid hormone); metoclopramide (Reglan®) combined with diphenhydramine and dexamethasone; high doses of methylprednisolone (a steroid hormone) combined with droperidol (Inapsine®); and prochlorperazine (Compazine®). Continued research with other agents and combinations of these agents is under way to determine their usefulness in controlling chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting. However, NCI scientists believe that synthetic THC may be appropriate for some cancer patients who have chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting that cannot be controlled by other antiemetic agents. The expected side effects of this compound must be weighed against the possible benefits. Dronabinol often causes a "high" (loss of control or sensation of unreality), which is associated with its effectiveness; however, this sensation may be unpleasant for some individuals.

Marijuana cigarettes have been used to treat chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting, and research has shown that THC is more quickly absorbed from marijuana smoke than from an oral preparation. However, any antiemetic effects of smoking marijuana may not be consistent because of varying potency, depending on the source of the marijuana contained in the cigarette.

To address issues surrounding the medical uses of marijuana, the National Institutes of Health convened a meeting in February 1997 to review the scientific data concerning its potential therapeutic uses and explore the need for additional research. The group of experts concluded that more and better studies are needed to fully evaluate the potential use of marijuana as supportive care for cancer patients.

Anorexia and Cachexia

Anorexia, the loss of appetite or desire to eat, is the most common symptom in cancer patients. It may occur early in the disease process or later, in cases where the cancer progresses. Cachexia is a wasting condition in which the patient has weakness and a marked and progressive loss of body weight, fat, and muscle. Anorexia and cachexia frequently occur together, but cachexia may occur in patients who are eating an adequate diet but have malabsorption of nutrients. Maintenance of body weight and adequate nutritional status can help patients feel and look better, and maintain or improve their performance status. It may also help them better tolerate cancer therapy.

There are a variety of options for supportive nutritional care of cancer patients, including changes in diet and consumption of foods, enteral or parenteral feeding (delivery of nutrients by tube), and the use of drugs. An NCI-supported study to evaluate the effects of THC and megestrol acetate (a synthetic female hormone) used alone and in combination for treatment-related and cancer-related anorexia and cachexia completed patient accrual earlier this year. Researchers will compare the appetite, weight, and rate of weight change among patients treated with THC to patients treated with megestrol acetate or with both therapies. Researchers will also evaluate the effects of the drugs alone or in combination on nausea and vomiting, assess for toxic effects of the drugs, and evaluate differences in quality of life among those patients who were treated with THC.

Cancerlinksusa.com

Back
Top Bottom