Cannabis in Aquaponics

joetherag42

This is Joe. Back after a while off doing other things.
I have a 250 gallon Aquaponic fish tank with a 4x4 grow tray on top.
I have had this setup for about 8 years. Have unfortunately gone through two fish die off's.
One die off was due to cats or racoons getting in the tank and helping them selves. Fixed that by putting
a Mesh screen over the openings.
The other die off occurred when I was gone for a week with no one to keep an eye on the setup.
My Air pump failed and the fish died. Solved that by two methods,
a. I have a solar Array on my house with two Tesla Power Walls. This runs my whole house including the Aquaponic system 24/7.
b. I have two small solar Air Pumps that run during the day when the sun is out.
Right now I have one Harle Tsu CBD plant in the grow tray.
Have about 15 gold fish, and three tilapia with one Bass in the tank.
I use the Hot tub filter once a week for about 1 hour to filter the larger sediment and waste out.
I just bought a submersible filter with a 250 gph pump. Has bio balls, and two filter pads in it. One
is rough and the other is fine.
Set a timer to run the pump for 15 minuets every two hours.
I check the ph weekly and use a fish friendly up and down to regulate it properly.
I have successfully grown other CBD plants in the system in the past and got very good harvests.
I have other clones growing in a "FENCE POST GROWER". When a bit larger, I will put a few more into my Aquaponic system.
I am also building a Hybrid Aquaponic/Ebb and flow setup using the Fish tank as the source of water.
It uses its own separate submersible pump going through a Special Bi-Directional assembly and into a Brain Bucket that has the timer to control the flow of water to the grow sites, and back into the Fish tank.
I had this set up in the past and it worked very good.
This time it will have six sites set up with the Aquaponic system.
I will check back in when it is set up again and show photos.

My Aquaponic fish tank and garden tray. Have ten Gold fish about 9” long, and I think three Tilapia and one bass.
I have Swiss chard greens, chives, strawberries, and one Harle Tsu CBD seedling.
I have an Electric air pump, and two solar pumps if the power goes out.
The one Harle Tsu was started in a rock wool cube, (which I don’t like them).
I then put it in a small net pot basket, and buried it in the Aquaponic grow tray. I’ll put two more in it tomorrow.
Below the Hydrotron grow medium is a layer of Organic waste from 7 years of accumulated fish waste and Castings from gobs of worms.
I turn on the hot tub filter once a week.
The little rectangular box is a filter purchased from Home Depot.
I just bought another one which has its own submersible water pump.
I’ve made a hole in the hot tub insulated cover.
I will drop it in the hole.
It will draw water from the tank down through a couple layers of filter pads.
Pump output will empty out into the grow tray.
I bought a bell Auto siphon.
There is a timer for the water pump set to turn on for 30 minutes once a day. When it gets hotter, I’ll have it come on twice a day.
When the water gets to a certain level in the tray, the Bell Auto Siphon dumps all the water out of the grow tray.
In the Next week or so, I’ll hookup the Hydroponic system to the Aquaponic system.
I love to help and answer questions.

That’s all for now.

Aquaponic Garden IMG_0248.jpg

This is Joe. Back after a while off doing other things.
I have a 250 gallon Aquaponic fish tank with a 4x4 grow tray on top.
I have had this setup for about 8 years. Have unfortunately gone through two fish die off's.
One die off was due to cats or racoons getting in the tank and helping them selves. Fixed that by putting
a Mesh screen over the openings.
The other die off occurred when I was gone for a week with no one to keep an eye on the setup.
My Air pump failed and the fish died. Solved that by two methods,
a. I have a solar Array on my house with two Tesla Power Walls. This runs my whole house including the Aquaponic system 24/7.
b. I have two small solar Air Pumps that run during the day when the sun is out.
Right now I have one Harle Tsu CBD plant in the grow tray.
Have about 15 gold fish, and three tilapia with one Bass in the tank.
I use the Hot tub filter once a week for about 1 hour to filter the larger sediment and waste out.
I just bought a submersible filter with a 250 gph pump. Has bio balls, and two filter pads in it. One
is rough and the other is fine.
Set a timer to run the pump for 15 minuets every two hours.
I check the ph weekly and use a fish friendly up and down to regulate it properly.
I have successfully grown other CBD plants in the system in the past and got very good harvests.
I have other clones growing in a "FENCE POST GROWER". When a bit larger, I will put a few more into my Aquaponic system.
I am also building a Hybrid Aquaponic/Ebb and flow setup using the Fish tank as the source of water.
It uses its own separate submersible pump going through a Special Bi-Directional assembly and into a Brain Bucket that has the timer to control the flow of water to the grow sites, and back into the Fish tank.
I had this set up in the past and it worked very good.
This time it will have six sites set up with the Aquaponic system.
I will check back in when it is set up again and show photos.

My Aquaponic fish tank and garden tray. Have ten Gold fish about 9” long, and I think three Tilapia and one bass.
I have Swiss chard greens, chives, strawberries, and one Harle Tsu CBD seedling.
I have an Electric air pump, and two solar pumps if the power goes out.
The one Harle Tsu was started in a rock wool cube, (which I don’t like them).
I then put it in a small net pot basket, and buried it in the Aquaponic grow tray. I’ll put two more in it tomorrow.
Below the Hydrotron grow medium is a layer of Organic waste from 7 years of accumulated fish waste and Castings from gobs of worms.
I turn on the hot tub filter once a week.
The little rectangular box is a filter purchased from Home Depot.
I just bought another one which has its own submersible water pump.
I’ve made a hole in the hot tub insulated cover.
I will drop it in the hole.
It will draw water from the tank down through a couple layers of filter pads.
Pump output will empty out into the grow tray.
I bought a bell Auto siphon.
There is a timer for the water pump set to turn on for 30 minutes once a day. When it gets hotter, I’ll have it come on twice a day.
When the water gets to a certain level in the tray, the Bell Auto Siphon dumps all the water out of the grow tray.
In the Next week or so, I’ll hookup the Hydroponic system to the Aquaponic system.
I love to help and answer questions.

That’s all for now.

Aquaponic Garden IMG_0248.jpg

Hello @joetherag42 and welcome :420:

That is one heck of an intro:welldone:

I truly hope you setup a grow journal, I'd love to follow along, there's not anywhere near enough info for Aquaponics. It's a long term goal (a few years down the road), so I'll soak up your journal!!

Everything is in this link, it'll help get you sorted better then I could explain

Back
Top Bottom