Cannabis In Nepal

tintala

Plant of the Month: Third Place Winner
I am posting this in the INDIA section since nepal is part of N. India and there is no NEPAL section. Since Nepali speak hindi , listen to hindi music and watch bollywood movies , I thought it appropriate to post here.

Legislation: marijauana and hashish used to be legal in nepal till the late 70s - that is why it was heaven for hippies in the 60s and 70s. Nowadays Cultivating, selling, dealing and possessing is illegal but usually nobody cares.
In 1974 ganja/hashish was made illegal by the USA government , paid the late KING BIRENDRA , murdered in 04, 40million$ to make it illegal.

"It's illegal, but they are not too bothered about own use, just smuggling, which is serious"

Law enforcement: The police have no interest in marijuana related issues and if you are a tourist no one cares about you smoking.
In case you are caught you can buy your freedom in the spot usually at a very meager price.

Many people smoke marijauana and hash in nepal: it is common for holy man or sadhus (as they are locally called) who live in temples to smoke marijuana, nepalese people even have lord shiva who smokes weed and there is a festival celebrating his birthday when most people smoke that day called SHIVARATRI.. Many old people in villages smoke it too you can virtually say more than 60 percent of the youth smoke weed it is one of the most weed friendly country in the world......

A stroll thru the tourist spot THAMEl will bring lots of pot vendors trying to sell hash .. they usually stick a piece on the back of a business card for trekking and show it to you so you can fondle it and smell it, usually it's really good.

Unfortunately this is one way to obtain hash now, since it's been illegal since 1974 , there were hash shops that allowed the consumer to test hash in a casual and relaxed setting. now it's usually obtained from a narcotics dealer on the street, great move USA!

Nevertheless, ganja is still tolerated and I have never been hassled by police, as huge plants grow directly in front of police check points, they don't seem to know that it's there, or they are culitvating it themselves.

Nepalese hash is notoriously the best in the world. Most of the time the hash is hand rubbed when the plants are ripe, and not even picked. This is called charas and same goes for the so called "TEMPLE BALLS" ..

It's still no most sough after resin in the world, even in Amerstdam, the coffeshops are usually sold out of the temple ball.

There was a "HINDI FILM" made called HARI KRISHNA HARI RAM back in the 70's depicting hippies flocking to the temple in KAthmandu and smoking charas thru chillums. In this movie , a guy's sister is brainwashed by the smokers and he has to come to the temple and save her from the potheads.

If not for USA bribing nepal to make charas illegal, I believe Nepal would be the real "AMSTERDAM " of the world which it actually started out to be. Only because people and the king were smuggling hash to the USA , the USA bribed Nepal to stop smuggling it.

AS of now it's possible to get about 5 grams of charas for 1500rupees or less. thats about 20$.

India ganja is also tolerated and there goverment shops set up as well as LAssi drink shops that are never hassled by police..

there is a new facebook page called 'SAVED NEPAL LIBERATE CANNABIS" i am an adminstrator on, please check us out, we are trying to educate NEPALESE and the world about it's cannabis heritage and move forward to re-legalize cannabis in Nepal...lot's of great info about Nepal, you won't find a more informative place about cannabis in Nepal.

i really want to come and see nepal .... its so peace loving , naturally beautiful , i really wish i was born in nepal rather than india ... india used to be good 30 years back ... but now everything is commercialized ... india's culture and heritage are fast fading ... i hope the same doesnt happen to nepal ! and tintala ... its an amazing article what you've written down ... it was almost like a documentary film running through my mind when i read it ... god bless you brother ... i hope to be there ! ... jai bolenath ...

I am posting this in the INDIA section since nepal is part of N. India and there is no NEPAL section. Since Nepali speak hindi , listen to hindi music and watch bollywood movies , I thought it appropriate to post here and Only because people and the king were smuggling hash to the USA , the USA bribed Nepal to stop smuggling it.
first of all I am Nepali and yes i do agree upon the marijauana found in street corner but it is not legal in the Nepal.
secondly how can you claim Nepal is the part of India show me the link or proof If you send me single link where legally of identically called Nepal was once ruled by other nation I bow to you touching you legs but if not than stop talking nonsence. We Nepalese never was a part of India N never will be. We Gurkhas are good for good and badass for bad.
Finally dont ever called our king Birendra a smuggler he was father of our nation. we are fighter !! we die for the nation! and such a post like you make we Nepalese N indians Hate eachother.
There were some great quotes from great person
Maradona "If there was gurkha in England Football team he had ever won worldcup"
Pakistani General "If i had gurkhas in my Army, My dinner will be in New Delhi".
Hitler "My Army were Only afraid of Gurkhas" and
If a person says he is not afraid of dieing either he is lieing or he is gurkha. !!

Jai Nepal
Enjoy the Cannabis stop saying Nepal a part of India.

Back
Top Bottom