Cannabis Newbie Tests His New Vaporizer!

Fogoguy

For anyone who has read my posts since I joined this fine forum last month, you will know that I am brand new to this whole cannabis thing, and in my quest to try to learn as much as possible within the shortest period of time, I've been asking a lot of questions on here about everything from smoking to vaping to oils to edibles, and I really appreciate all of the support I have received. And as you know, I have been awaiting the delivery of my new vaporizer since last month. (it has taken forever to receive it due to many factors, such as bad weather, cancelled ferry crossings, the ongoing Canada Post strike action, to make a few) But today is the day that it arrived in our mailbox! (Woohoo!) While I was playing the waiting game I tried smoking for the first time in my life and, to be honest, was actually a bit disappointed with the whole experience... I nearly coughed up a lung, didn't really care for the taste, I sucked at rolling a joint, and I didn't like stinking up the house. So I ordered some (30mg/ml THC) cannabis oil from the Newfoundland Govt's website and gave that a go. The included instructions stated to "place a few drops under the tongue for a couple minutes prior to swallowing", which I did. I felt nothing after holding 5-6 drops under my tongue for even 20 minutes! And even an hour after swallowing I still felt... nothing. So I kept upping the dose, (having long given up on the whole under-the-tongue thing and going straight to the swallow) and I was soon up to 12 drops of this supposedly fairly potent stuff, and after an hour would go by... still nothing. After two full hours, I was just beginning to feel some early stirrings of perhaps some sort of slight something... and by 2.5 to 3 hours I was finally feeling high. But it seems like a lot of hassle, only to receive about the same amount of "buzz", and pain relief, and drowsiness, as I get from taking my usual prescription pills.

So, needless to say, I was putting a lot of faith into the imminent arrival of the new vaporizer to save the day, because I really wanted this whole cannabis thing to work... as the Missus and I had been anxious to hop on the weed bandwagon when it became legal here on Oct 17th, and I have been thinking of how great this would all be if I could possibly, just maybe, be able to eliminate, or at least reduce, the intake of my powerful prescription opioids which have been a necessity for so many years. For those who have not yet heard my story, after a bad fall in the workplace years ago I seriously and permanently damaged my upper vertebrae, which has kept me suffering with severe pain every single day since 2004, plus I've got the great misfortune of having inherited from my mother a particularly severe form of RLS, (Restless Legs Syndrome) and I also have the truly dreadful PMR (Polymyalgia Rheumatica) which I would not wish on my worst enemy, and just to make it all that much worse, I have off-the-scale insomnia. (oh yeah, plus I have just been diagnosed with diabetes) Anyhow, the vaporizer (called Utillian 420) has FINALLY made it all the way to our remote little island located an hour ferry ride off the north coast of Newfoundland, after a month-long wait... and I am very pleased to report that it was absolutely WORTH IT! I was admittedly getting pretty discouraged of late, and was somewhat doubtful that this would prove to be any better of an experience than what I had recently had with the smoking and the oil, but WOW, it's awesome! And it is no muss/no fuss... no rolling papers, no coughing, no house full of stinky smoke, and most importantly, both me AND the Missus love it! Vaping tastes worlds better than smoking in my opinion, and the whole process is so much easier, and of course I now get an actual "high" almost instantly! I am betting that we are not the only ones who have come to prefer the taste, the overall experience, of vaping over smoking.

So yeah, I'm stoked... and already feeling pretty positive that this may indeed actually aid with the management of my chronic pain, and to give me a much better night's sleep that I have had in years. And I've been reading many positive stories about how effective cannabis can be for RLS sufferers! So two thumbs up for my new vaporizer saving the day! I will report back again in another day or two, once I have some more experience with the vaporizer. (hmmmm, am already thinking that we need to start growing our own herb!... In fact a new 16'x30' shed project is in the works for next spring, and we should have lots of extra space in it to include a sweet little grow setup of our own. Should be a lot of fun. Life is good!

Glen

Look forward to the updates. What vaporizer did you get?
I got the Utillian 420, quite a popular brand/model here in Canada, but seems to be pretty much unknown south of the border.

Glen

Utillian-Dry-Herb-Vape.jpg

Utillian 420 Vaporizer
The 420 is the newest model in a line of popular dry herb vaporizers from Utillian. The compact curved flask design is pocket friendly, and extremely comfortable to use.

The 420 features 4 pre-set temperature settings (190C, 200C, 210C, 220C), and a large battery powers an hour of use with 20 second heat up time. Single button operation is simple to use, and a digital screen clearly displays the temperature settings.

A glass mouthpiece screws on top of the conduction style ceramic heating chamber, cooling the vapor and mainting pure flavor.

Features:
  • 1 hour battery life
  • 20 second heat time
  • Ceramic heating chamber
  • Glass mouthpiece
  • Charges via micro USB port
  • 4 pre-set temperature settings (190C, 200C, 210C, 220C)
  • Anodized aluminuim shell
Includes:
  • Utillian 420 vaporizer
  • Mouthpiece heat shield
  • Packing tool
  • 5x screens
  • Micro USB cable

It's day two, and I'm really enjoying the new vaporizer! I've discovered that the two middle temperature settings of 200 and 210 degrees celsius (or 392 and 410 degrees fahrenheit) are the "sweet spot", producing the best vapour with no harshness. I love that from the time I switch it on it only takes about 20 seconds to get it right up to operating temperature. I find that a charge will last for over an hour of continuous use at these settings. It's very user-friendly, and I love the shape, (it's curved like a little flask) making it so easy to hold, and easily fits in a pocket. I'll have to take a few of my own pics of it, as the stock ones posted above don't let you see its cool "flask" shape.

And this vaporizer has got to be about the best deal out there, (in Canada, at least) as I only had to pay $89CAD for it; (or about $69US) a great price for such a stylish, well-built unit with an anodized aluminum shell, a more-than-adequate 1,700 mAh lithium battery, easy one-button operation, a big ceramic chamber, glass mouthpiece, and crisp digital display allowing you to see each temperature setting, track the heat-up process, and show battery life. A lot of nice features for such a low price point, but it's kinda odd how this popular Canadian model seems to have remained virtually unheard of in the USA.

Glen

Hi all, it's been a couple weeks since I have posted here, but just wanted to say that I am still completely smitten with the new vaporizer, (and the Missus is too) that I have bought a second one! Exact same make/model, but a different colour. And why, you ask, would I buy a second one?? Well, because now the Missus and I no longer have to take turns passing it back and forth! But the main reason is because I had been online, sniffing around all the "Cyber Monday" sales last month, and was utterly stunned to discover that the very same store where I bought my vape had 'em on sale (1 day only) for just 62 bucks!! (= a crazy-low $46 US) No, this isn't a typo!

Yeah, it's kinda hard to not jump on that price, considering its long list of quality features normally found in units costing at least triple the price! So it's silver for me and matte black for the Missus. Sure wish I had discovered the benefits of cannabis years ago, because it feels great to have finally found a remedy for my many years of insomnia... a few puffs before bedtime and I'm sleeping soundly for the first time since I can't even remember when! In fact, so zonked out that I have cut my potent pain meds prescription in half, as I sleep right through the times that I would normally have to take them! Over the years, my doctor has tried every type of sleep aid imaginable on me, and nothing has worked... until now!!

Glen

Back
Top Bottom