Cannabis seedlings stopped growing and showing pistils - Photos

davidson2354

Hello all, I bring a strange situation with 3 autoflowering seedlings I planted a month ago.
So i got 6 seeds, Purple, Tutankhamon, NYC Diesel, Somango, Cheese and Amnesia. These last 3 have gone really wrong somehow.

They were all germinated and planted at the same time (10th of July), and I must point out that when germinating, all or almost all of them broke the shell completely inside the plate and were like this for a maximum of 24 hours maybe less.

Anyways, they all looked healthy and established themselves good after rooting down on the pot, untill week 3-4 which I was noticing less development on the Somango, Cheese and Amnesia. Other 3 grew and are growing awesomely except for Diesel which is having a more slow development.

They had been outside for a bit, I would leave them during the day on the balcony and at the time there was a really hot dry weather here, so I tried to always give them some shade. Maybe this could be the first factor?

So around week 3-4 was when I noticed another thing, I was adjusting some small sticks that I put around the seedligs so they have support and when I removed the stick the Cheese seedling was being supported, she completely fell down. The stem was twisted right when it goes under the soil, so I was only able to see very little of the part that was twisted and immediately went to grab more soil and leveled up the soil untill the cotyledons.
(She seems like the recovered the stem in the present? but didnt check up either under the soil)

She only started to show some loss of colour after 3 days and eventually cotyledons turned yellow, some descolaration, burned tips and small spots that i think could be little bugs.

It was around week 4 that I noticed that Amnesia stopped growing and the cotyledons were losing colour too for no aparent reason. So i placed Cheese and Amnesia pots side by side in a more shady area. At this point I was also noticing that Somango was developing less and less till I realized she wasnt developing anymore and after some days I started to see loss of colour on cotyledons too. And the 3 have been together since.
They have been like this for 2 weeks and I cut off the cotyledons cause they died and two small leaves of the Cheese and Amnesia.
Left them a week and a half inside, with as much light as possible but without direct sunlight, placed them outside again in shade, which is much much more shade than sun. And nothing else I have noticed different.

They havent lost much more colour since and Ill be placing some pics.
I was away for 1 week and when I came back Amnesia and Cheese had 3 or 2 pistils shooting off from the top.
Somango has a dark green colour, almost like light brownish? on the stem from the cotyledons down. (PICS)

Now I dont understand what is going on with them, the Cheese seedling I was ok with the fact it got stunted cause of the twisted stem but these other two? I dont get it why they suddenly stopped growing. And the pistils??

My grow gear is the following:
Completely Outdoor, no CFL lights
They were planted already in the final pot with 11 Litres.
Soil is a mix of new BI-GROW MIX from ATAMI with Perlite and quite a bit of coconut fiber.
I only started to ph the water around week 2-3? Before that I was watering them with tap water, around 7.5.
On the 3rd of August I gave them a very very light feed of Biogrow from Biobizz - NPK.
Gave another watering on the 7th and havent watered anymore.
Im thinking of drying them, let the soil dry completely and see what happens, unless you think its not a very good idea.

Dont know what to say more, the weather here has been unstable and when gets hot, it gets too dry, but they only have been outside again since 10th of August and in almost complete shade so Im not sure about that..

Can anyone help me in any way? What advice can you give me? Have you experienced this before? What do the pistils at this point mean?
Thank you so much for your time!

Pics:

Amnesia

amnesia_1.JPG

amnesia_2.JPG

amnesia_3.JPG

Cheese

cheese_15.JPG

cheese_28.JPG

Somango

somango_1.JPG

somango_2.JPG

somango_3.JPG

They look like they are stretching, my guess would be a light problem.

Im 100 percent sure that could not be the problem because I have alot of sun exposure in my balcony and they got alot of it around week 2 and a half, I think that was when I started to put them outside. And as I stated before, at the time there was alot of sun and heat, maybe too much, dry aswell.. They were all growing so fine and the other 3 are really healthy. These stunted seedlings have been inside again and even indoors they have alot of light to catch.

I really dont understand what the problem is, maybe that excess of heat and dryness could have stressed them, fact is all 3 stunted are from the same seed bank alongside with NYC Diesel which is growing but much more slow than the Purple and Tutankhamon ones which are from Pyramid. Maybe these two have better genetics aswell, more endurance maybe, thats what I think anyways.

Do you think the two with pistils can still grow and develop a bigger plant?
I fear that the pistils mean she went mad and theres no turning back.
Ive had an auto stunted before, for 1 month and suddenly she just decided to grow back again and gave a very nice yeild too.

Sorry I didn't see your response. How is everything?

Hey man, thanks for coming back here, they are basically the same. Somango is the only one who hasnt showed up visible development, she's still the same, I had to cut 2 leaves cause they were starting to dragg her down and thought it would make a good difference on her but nothing, did the same to the other two ones, cause they were showing some damaged leaves, so I took them out too. The other two keep developing their flower stage but no vegetative state development. Still the same but growing microscopic bud ahah.
I even made an organic pesticide with garlic and onion cause I was having a bit of problems with bugs on plants I have, and took out spider mites n things like that.
Basically all the same.
I wish somango could come back to life, it seems it could be possible cause she's not flowering yet, just really stunted.

Not geting enuf light.. plant is in flowering stage

If you read what I said in description n replys I made down here you can understand that was not the case, if anything it would have been too much light, not lack of. That would be completely impossible. Please read better the details again, Thank You!

A plant can only go into the flowering stage if it gets 12/12 light.

Listen bro, I dont know if you read the description or not, these are autoflowering strains we are talking about, and no CFL lights, only natural light from the sun. Theres no light schedule apart from the only natural one.

If you read what I said in description n replys I made down here you can understand that was not the case, if anything it would have been too much light, not lack of. That would be completely impossible. Please read better the details again, Thank You!

They need quite a bit of direct light to thrive, be it direct sunshine or other light. Not sure if you can have "too much light" as some folks run their indoor grows with 24 hours of light and no darkness (others go 18/6 or a bunch of other different light/dark as kind of a personal preference or a matter of opinions which are all over the place). So based on what other info you have given not sure why you have ruled out not enough light:

They had been outside for a bit, I would leave them during the day on the balcony and at the time there was a really hot dry weather here, so I tried to always give them some shade.
Left them a week and a half inside, with as much light as possible but without direct sunlight, placed them outside again in shade, which is much much more shade than sun.

Dont know what to say more, the weather here has been unstable and when gets hot, it gets too dry, but they only have been outside again since 10th of August and in almost complete shade so Im not sure about that..

Some plants don't need a lot of direct light so they make good houseplants for indoors, when they are stretching it is because they are trying to find more light. Probably why it has gone into Flower mode even though they are real small, as it figures the days are getting shorter and it is trying to reproduce by making flowers to try and make seeds before it's life cycle is over. I have no experience with Autos, so not sure that you can put them back into "Veg" mode or not with any success.

They need quite a bit of direct light to thrive, be it direct sunshine or other light. Not sure if you can have "too much light" as some folks run their indoor grows with 24 hours of light and no darkness (others go 18/6 or a bunch of other different light/dark as kind of a personal preference or a matter of opinions which are all over the place). So based on what other info you have given not sure why you have ruled out not enough light:

Some plants don't need a lot of direct light so they make good houseplants for indoors, when they are stretching it is because they are trying to find more light. Probably why it has gone into Flower mode even though they are real small, as it figures the days are getting shorter and it is trying to reproduce by making flowers to try and make seeds before it's life cycle is over. I have no experience with Autos, so not sure that you can put them back into "Veg" mode or not with any success.

Thanks for your reply, the only reason in ruling it out is because around 2nd week i placed them all outside and at the time there was an intense weather, almost no clouds, strong sun, high temperatures and very low humidity. My first warning feeling was that one, especially when I was starting to notice diferences in development between the 6 seedlings. But I only removed them from direct sunlight when I was completely sure they were not developing anymore after some days. I would always try to give them half shade-half sun, sometimes it was a bit more shade than sun yes. But apart from all this I have grown auto plants inside no problem, even a feminized one, but yeah, plants are different. I dont know...
You think I should try placing them in direct light?

You might try it and see. It could be your bug problem was the major reason they stunted, but usually if they stretching a lot they are looking for light. As they trying to Flower I"m not sure if you can get a lot out of them at this point, but I have no experience with Autos so no idea if they can recover the same as a Photo would.

You might try it and see. It could be your bug problem was the major reason they stunted, but usually if they stretching a lot they are looking for light. As they trying to Flower I"m not sure if you can get a lot out of them at this point, but I have no experience with Autos so no idea if they can recover the same as a Photo would.

Ill be updating with some new pics soon. But about what you said, my feeling is that the ones flowering already won't grow back again, will stay like this till they die. I can update this post with pics just for research purposes, cause ive seen some posts here and there about the same thing, and I found little information about this event in autoflower strains.
I think that as soon as the plant starts to flower its over. She will stay like that and just develop the bud.
I had one that was stunted for a month and then she came back to life, like she just went to hibernation mode, and she was like in her 3rd week when she decided to stop growing.

Anyways, ill post new pics soon.
Somango hasnt flowered yet, I still have hopes for her.

Back
Top Bottom