Cannabis to Lower Blood Pressure!

Jacob Bell

A new method for lowering blood pressure (hypertension) through use of a compound that synthesizes a cannabis (hashish) plant component has been developed by a pharmacology Ph.D. student at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem School of Pharmacy.

For his work on the cardiovascular activity of cannabinoids (chemical compounds derived from cannabis), Yehoshua Maor was one of the winners of this year's Kaye Innovation Awards, presented on June 13 during the Hebrew University of Jerusalem's 69th meeting of the Board of Governors.

Cardiovascular disease (CVD) accounts for about one-third of all deaths in industrialized countries, and is the leading reason for visits there to physicians as well as for drug prescriptions. However, not all patients respond well to the drugs available. There is no "ideal' hypotensive (blood pressure lowering) drug.

The cannabis plant — also known as hashish or marijuana — through its chemical compounds -- cannabinoids -- has been shown to have a beneficial, hypotensive effect. However, a drawback in the therapeutic use of cannabinoids has been its undesirable psychotropic properties — production of hallucinatory effects. Attempts to separate the hypotensive action from the psychotropic properties of cannabinoids have achieved only partial success until now.

Working under the supervision of Prof. Raphael Mechoulam at the Hebrew University School of Pharmacy, Maor, who was born in Brazil and immigrated to Israel in 1998, has created a synthetic version of a minor cannabis constituent named cannabigerol, which is devoid of psychotropic activity.

In laboratory experiments with rats in collaboration with Prof. Michal Horowitz of the Department of Environmental Physiology, it was found that this novel compound reduced blood pressure when administered to the rats in relatively low doses. Additional testing also showed that the compound also brought about another beneficial effect -- relaxation of the blood vessels. A further beneficial property observed in work carried out with Prof. Ruth Gallily of the Lautenberg Center for General and Tumor Immunology, was that the compounds produced an anti-inflammatory response.

Maor believes that these qualities have the potential for development of a valuable new clinical drug with a major market potential, especially for patients suffering from inflammation of the blood vessels as the result of hypertension, and others with metabolic irregularities.

Maor already has won international recognition for his work with cannabanoids, resulting from his collaborative work with Garry Milman, another Ph.D. student in the laboratory of Prof. Mechoulam, for the discovery of an endogenous compound found in the brain which causes vaso-relaxation.

Maor begin a post-doctoral fellowship in the fall at the Harvard University Medical School, where he plans to continue his research.

The Kaye Innovation Awards have been given annually since 1994. Isaac Kaye of England, a prominent industrialist in the pharmaceutical industry, established the awards to encourage faculty, staff and students of the Hebrew University to develop innovative methods and inventions with good commercial potential which will benefit the university and society.

Source: Cannabis to lower blood pressure!

Well, this was wonderful post to read. I agree with you on this. Cannabis can really help to reduce our blood pressure. Many reports have also found several more advantages of Cannabis. It assists in the treatment of mental illness, depression, lung cancer and many more.

I am trying what seems to be in vain for something besides pills to lower my pressure. I have been on blood pressure pills since I was 17 years old. Now going on 43 taking pills every day is getting old. In addition i daily take something for anxiety (PTSD from years of domestic abuse) and i want off it all if possible. The long term side effects, in my opinion outweigh the benefits. And as my member status shows, I am new to this and would welcome any and all stories and/or advice from anyone well versed in this. Thanks

One of the proven treatments for PTSD and potentially effective treatments for low blood pressure is cannabis.

Since you are back here after about 1 year without posting, I am going to guess that you have experienced some of the benefits of smoking cannabis, vaping cannabis, and/or baking with cannabis.
For those who need stronger doses, there is also concentrated cannabis oil (CCO) :cco: also known as Rick Simpson Oil (RSO). One of the advantages of CCO is that it does not have to enter through the lungs or stomach and, if done right, can be used to treat serious illnesses without getting high. While this is an advantage for cancer patients, who may need high doses of cannabis, this may also be disadvantage for folks with PTSD. As President Obama is quoted as saying "I inhaled, frequently. That was the point!" If you use CCO with an eyedropper on the tongue or in a vape pen, you can also experience the healing powers of euphoria in a discrete way similar to edibles :)

I am planning on using CCO to lower my life long, untreated high blood pressure, just waiting until I harvest an 'extra' ounce beyond what we use to treat my wife's fibromyalgia.

If you are interested in exploring CCO, there are a few threads. Probably the best one to just chat about the possible uses with others who are sharing ideas is Cannabis Oil Users Cafe & Lounge

See you there, or see you other places around :420:

Welcome, welcome back :)

Back
Top Bottom