Cannabis to prevent deaths of despair

So happy that you found a good solution!
Thanks. By no means got it nailed but the last year I've been calmer and happier than the previous 3 or 4. Things that would've put me in a deep funk before are much easier to deal with. Hoping to get back in the gym soon after a bad shoulder injury has put me out for nearly a year. I've also found growing has helped me quite a bit. Given me something I enjoy to focus on.

Thanks. By no means got it nailed but the last year I've been calmer and happier than the previous 3 or 4. Things that would've put me in a deep funk before are much easier to deal with. Hoping to get back in the gym soon after a bad shoulder injury has put me out for nearly a year. I've also found growing has helped me quite a bit. Given me something I enjoy to focus on.
Happy and calm is what it is all about! I can say from my personal experience, when using cannabis in moderation I am much less reactive to negative stimulus but still very much present for the positive things happening around me. Not such a bad place to be at the end of the day!

Happy and calm is what it is all about! I can say from my personal experience, when using cannabis in moderation I am much less reactive to negative stimulus but still very much present for the positive things happening around me. Not such a bad place to be at the end of the day!
Exactly mate. Why not use the tools the earth has given us. It's true that talking helps too. I'm very lucky to have family and friends that I can talk to openly. Some that have been through similar experiences. Once a month (if possible), my best friend from my military days comes to visit, we trip together then have a good smoke and discuss our experience, thoughts and feelings. It's massively therapeutic.

Exactly mate. Why not use the tools the earth has given us. It's true that talking helps too. I'm very lucky to have family and friends that I can talk to openly. Some that have been through similar experiences. Once a month (if possible), my best friend from my military days comes to visit, we trip together then have a good smoke and discuss our experience, thoughts and feelings. It's massively therapeutic.
I don’t know, it sounds to me like you have it dialed in pretty well!

The ability to talk to people about mental health issues today is a big help. Years ago it wasn't so open and talking to someone came with stigma. Now, particularly as men, we have begun a more open dialogue. This includes friends and family able to openly talk about depression and anxiety.

Even more helpful are the professional tools at our disposal. A neutral party that can assist us and guide us to self help and actualization of our mental health goals. Also helpful is the vast information at our fingertips in providing support for particular needs. One cant over state the importance of physical health, nutrition, and exercise in that equation.

While only a part of the equation. Cannabis, as mentioned, in its various forms and strains are tools to assist in this personal well being. Its complicated, but much better than the historical attitudes and treatments that were prominent. Its been a long time since I had a deep depression experience. Nowadays its more cumulative stress and strain in combination with seasonal affective disorder.

The best thing, for me, is to dump the negative people in our life. The energy vampires. Doubters and haters. Surround yourself with positive people. Be the change you want to see in the world. Keep one eye on your health and the other on the future.

The ability to talk to people about mental health issues today is a big help. Years ago it wasn't so open and talking to someone came with stigma. Now, particularly as men, we have begun a more open dialogue. This includes friends and family able to openly talk about depression and anxiety.

Even more helpful are the professional tools at our disposal. A neutral party that can assist us and guide us to self help and actualization of our mental health goals. Also helpful is the vast information at our fingertips in providing support for particular needs. One cant over state the importance of physical health, nutrition, and exercise in that equation.

While only a part of the equation. Cannabis, as mentioned, in its various forms and strains are tools to assist in this personal well being. Its complicated, but much better than the historical attitudes and treatments that were prominent. Its been a long time since I had a deep depression experience. Nowadays its more cumulative stress and strain in combination with seasonal affective disorder.

The best thing, for me, is to dump the negative people in our life. The energy vampires. Doubters and haters. Surround yourself with positive people. Be the change you want to see in the world. Keep one eye on your health and the other on the future.
You got it right. And it definitely helps that we can be more open about mental health issues. Things started turning around for me the very minute I was able to have open conversations with friends, family, and professionals. It was like a massive weight was lifted from my shoulders. And dispensing with the haters is a great move. Life is short. I want to enjoy it!

I have spent my share of time in the abyss recently; severe depression, severe anxiety, and feeling completely alone and isolated. It was the worst time of my life. Oddly enough, the depression started while I was smoking weed (and probably spending way to much time in my own head). I rode the last few weeks (the worst of it) out without weed. The main way my depression and anxiety was expressed was through anger. A lot of it directed at my family. What I did not know at the time, is that anger is a very common symptom of depression in men. I had no fucking clue. Talking with family members and working through my shit, I learned that we have a family history of depression. So long story short: I went to my general practitioner who made the diagnosis, then went into therapy and started working through my shit for real. So I manage my chronic pain and mood a bit with cannabis now with both docs ok with it. But I'm also doing cognitive behavioral therapy, physical therapy for my back and neck pain, streatching, and a whole bunch of other shit I would rather not dwell on at the moment...diet, exercise, adequate sleep. So my advice (this is coming from someone who has been there) to you is get a good support system for yourself and deal with the stuff that is weighing so heavily on your shoulders. There are good people out there, I found some pretty easily. Cannabis can very likely be a part of the solution, but ultimately that is only treating symptoms. Also, please be careful with the strains you choose, if you do choose to partake. I personally find that some of the sativas help with depression but make my anxiety much worse. So I tend to lean more toward hybrids like Blue Dream and really good indicas (Girl Scout Cookies, Sywalker OG, etc.). Believe it or not, shit does get better, but it takes a bit of work. I'm pulling for you brother!
I hear you man. I've had some very serious issues with depression my whole life. I know what you're saying. I'm pretty good now, and for the past few years actually.

You are absolutely right about the strains. If I'm in the weeds, I sleep. I dont eat, I dont watch TV I rack the fuck out. At that point a strong sativa has been known to bring me back. An indica is a real no no at that point. Dont get me wrong, I love indica more than sativas, but not if I'm down.

I sincerely hope you find your strain! Your post is very cool.

I believe using cannabis for some people can prevent suicide, only because it helps some people relieve the pain or whatever is the issue. This in turn prevents that person from thinking suicidal thoughts or causing self harm. Cannabis would essentially make that persons life more comfortable in a sense. Not saying its a cure or anything, just something that could keep the nasty thoughts at bay. Imo
You are absolutely correct!

I like the way you think! Well said

The stigma against mental health issues seem to be slowly going away, especially for men. I'm glad to see that. And I'll ride the green wave till I can't any longer.

What an interesting topic. Thanks Bean

I LOVE to drink but when I do it covers my entire body in stupidity.

I was in the party store the other day and the guy who owns it said "Wow I didn't know you were in town still, haven't seen you in years!" I said "that's because I quit emptying your shelves of cheap vodka..." to which he said "oh I wondered, I had to take a second mortgage out after you left!"

Weed isn't the answer for everything, but it sure make a difference for this raging alcoholic!

Back
Top Bottom