Cannabis to prevent deaths of despair

I imagine it can BeanTownFan420! I can't even think of a way it couldn't, can you? I mean maybe if the afflicted person runs out that would make it worse...I know way back in '18 when it was possible for me to run out of weed I was always crabby as hell when I got to the little corner of dust in the bottom of some ragged plastic baggy!

I've had and continue to have both of those things at varying levels of intensity throughout my life...I can't imagine what kind of state I'd be in if I wasn't partaking in some ganja through it.

On the other hand, sometimes I wonder if I didn't start in the first place (at a young age) if I would have been better off. Society on a macro and micro level copped a big attitude and wasn't accepting of me for many, many years which didn't make things easy. Of course they really had no clue...as long as I didn't LOOK or SMELL they never noticed me acting any differently. They had no clue. Now if I happened to forgot my drops or a mint or a ciggi...watch out it was like a olympic ski jump size look down their nose at me or worse!

i think there are unknowns in your situation. how do you want to deal with the pressure? are you high strung or mellow? do you just wanna obliterate like getting drunk? i know for me, i’d reach for some afghan, especially NL, and a hybrid with just enough kick to roll you out and help you focus while not edging on your nerves. gg#4 is a great med too.

I have spent my share of time in the abyss recently; severe depression, severe anxiety, and feeling completely alone and isolated. It was the worst time of my life. Oddly enough, the depression started while I was smoking weed (and probably spending way to much time in my own head). I rode the last few weeks (the worst of it) out without weed. The main way my depression and anxiety was expressed was through anger. A lot of it directed at my family. What I did not know at the time, is that anger is a very common symptom of depression in men. I had no fucking clue. Talking with family members and working through my shit, I learned that we have a family history of depression. So long story short: I went to my general practitioner who made the diagnosis, then went into therapy and started working through my shit for real. So I manage my chronic pain and mood a bit with cannabis now with both docs ok with it. But I'm also doing cognitive behavioral therapy, physical therapy for my back and neck pain, streatching, and a whole bunch of other shit I would rather not dwell on at the moment...diet, exercise, adequate sleep. So my advice (this is coming from someone who has been there) to you is get a good support system for yourself and deal with the stuff that is weighing so heavily on your shoulders. There are good people out there, I found some pretty easily. Cannabis can very likely be a part of the solution, but ultimately that is only treating symptoms. Also, please be careful with the strains you choose, if you do choose to partake. I personally find that some of the sativas help with depression but make my anxiety much worse. So I tend to lean more toward hybrids like Blue Dream and really good indicas (Girl Scout Cookies, Sywalker OG, etc.). Believe it or not, shit does get better, but it takes a bit of work. I'm pulling for you brother!

gsc, skywalker og are great. i have a batch of gsc almost done and been waiting for it to help with maddening depression. i just want to make one point about sativa. you’re right, especially regarding gsc, and that’s why i ‘micro hit,’ it to just give me enough edge to get outta bed. for pain i would use more, but weight the consequences, and make sure you have a project going on for distraction so you won’t freak out about ripping your pants open in nursery school.

@HighZenBerg going cold turkey while dealing with a swollen brain sucks. i hope you find the fulcrum u need to keep you happy. its like anything else... if you see a shrink, it takes time to find the right pharmaceutical cocktail, and in a way with weed too. you just have to find what works for you. i use a combo of ibl landraces and good hybrids. it took time to dial it in, but my mood is much more stable now.

peace!

What is your opinion can cannabis help those with financial and metal health issues beat back depression? And avoid suicide by substance abuse or self inflicted injury?

I believe using cannabis for some people can prevent suicide, only because it helps some people relieve the pain or whatever is the issue. This in turn prevents that person from thinking suicidal thoughts or causing self harm. Cannabis would essentially make that persons life more comfortable in a sense. Not saying its a cure or anything, just something that could keep the nasty thoughts at bay. Imo

I believe using cannabis for some people can prevent suicide, only because it helps some people relieve the pain or whatever is the issue. This in turn prevents that person from thinking suicidal thoughts or causing self harm. Cannabis would essentially make that persons life more comfortable in a sense. Not saying its a cure or anything, just something that could keep the nasty thoughts at bay. Imo

i find that weed, especially good hybrids have the ability to take ones’ self and observe and look from the outside- keeping me in the moment... keeping me from thoughts of self harm and thinking about how miserable i am. instead, despair and misery walks away... you need to hon in on your intake and what it is. i would start smoking a successful 50/50 hybrid like lemon tree or ed rosenthal superbud or jack herer which isn’t 50/50,but it a good sativa dom

gsc, skywalker og are great. i have a batch of gsc almost done and been waiting for it to help with maddening depression. i just want to make one point about sativa. you’re right, especially regarding gsc, and that’s why i ‘micro hit,’ it to just give me enough edge to get outta bed. for pain i would use more, but weight the consequences, and make sure you have a project going on for distraction so you won’t freak out about ripping your pants open in nursery school.

@HighZenBerg going cold turkey while dealing with a swollen brain sucks. i hope you find the fulcrum u need to keep you happy. its like anything else... if you see a shrink, it takes time to find the right pharmaceutical cocktail, and in a way with weed too. you just have to find what works for you. i use a combo of ibl landraces and good hybrids. it took time to dial it in, but my mood is much more stable now.

peace!
I’m doing my best to avoid the pharmaceuticals! Sticking with low to moderate doses of Cannabis, meditation, and cognitive behavioral therapy. So far so good. Thanks for the support!

I have heard that taking cannabis while micro-dosing psychedelics has some real promise behind it.
Studies are being done on micro-dosing for people with PTSD. I'm assuming depression is being looked at as a key component.

I’m doing my best to avoid the pharmaceuticals! Sticking with low to moderate doses of Cannabis, meditation, and cognitive behavioral therapy. So far so good. Thanks for the support!
i understand the best medical use is like small maintenance doses to maintain... but i slip here and there and blitz out on something trippy. as i have said somewhere that as long as i have northern lights and say key lime pie (gsc pheno) i’m pretty good.

I have heard that taking cannabis while micro-dosing psychedelics has some real promise behind it.
Studies are being done on micro-dosing for people with PTSD. I'm assuming depression is being looked at as a key component.
i’ve been wanting to pick up some liberty caps, but dont know a good source. you know any? once in a while i need a, “life check,” and they do well to put me in perspective. the micro aspect is interesting, but i’d just question the rapid tolerance growth.

i’ve been wanting to pick up some liberty caps, but dont know a good source. you know any? once in a while i need a, “life check,” and they do well to put me in perspective. the micro aspect is interesting, but i’d just question the rapid tolerance growth.
I don't know of any sources myself, sorry.
I believe you can grow them alongside cannabis if you have a light with uv. There are some magical mushroom pouches for purchase. I haven't looked into them though.

I don't know of any sources myself, sorry.
I believe you can grow them alongside cannabis if you have a light with uv. There are some magical mushroom pouches for purchase. I haven't looked into them though.
worth looking into considering the changes in law and society. i saw one site that sold different types when i was looking for landraces. high price tags for the exotics but was reasonable for the common liberty. i live too far south to source environmentally.

I have experience with both ends of the cannabis-depression spectrum.

Living in the northern reaches of Canada, the seasonal affective disorder, or winter blues are a real thing and can be difficult. Making things worse during these periods are other forms or causes of depression and loneliness.

Cannabis can both help, and hurt, these bouts of depression. In my experience.

Regular moderation of cannabis made things somewhat more uplifting, when part of a regular routine that included reasonable amounts of healthy eating, exercise, and social interaction. Normal amounts, and sources, of depression can be managed with diet/exercise/healthy relationships. Cannabis helped with uplifting and enhancing those experiences.

However over-consumption during these periods, in combination with a withdrawal from proper diet/exercise and social interaction, led to a deep depression. Staying home, smoking a lot of weed, playing video games (while fun and highly entertaining), I found was not improving or reducing depression.

Like any proper drug, it is a supplement to known healthy practices. Not to be depended on alone. This was only my experience, yet I wouldn't expect this to be like other peoples experience, in particular with the deeper types/sources of depression.

i understand the best medical use is like small maintenance doses to maintain... but i slip here and there and blitz out on something trippy. as i have said somewhere that as long as i have northern lights and say key lime pie (gsc pheno) i’m pretty good.
I’m trying to figure out how to do the medical use along with some recreational use, so true micro dosing probably won’t work for me. More likely it will need to be low (but higher than micro dose) maintenance/medical doses daily
I have experience with both ends of the cannabis-depression spectrum.

Living in the northern reaches of Canada, the seasonal affective disorder, or winter blues are a real thing and can be difficult. Making things worse during these periods are other forms or causes of depression and loneliness.

Cannabis can both help, and hurt, these bouts of depression. In my experience.

Regular moderation of cannabis made things somewhat more uplifting, when part of a regular routine that included reasonable amounts of healthy eating, exercise, and social interaction. Normal amounts, and sources, of depression can be managed with diet/exercise/healthy relationships. Cannabis helped with uplifting and enhancing those experiences.

However over-consumption during these periods, in combination with a withdrawal from proper diet/exercise and social interaction, led to a deep depression. Staying home, smoking a lot of weed, playing video games (while fun and highly entertaining), I found was not improving or reducing depression.

Like any proper drug, it is a supplement to known healthy practices. Not to be depended on alone. This was only my experience, yet I wouldn't expect this to be like other peoples experience, in particular with the deeper types/sources of depression.
yup, this matches-up with my experience as well. When my depression set in this spring; it was shitty, rainy, gray, and cold. I could not deal with the weather, was smoking a lot of cannabis, and was totally unmotivated to get out and do anything. Add to that, spending too much time inside of my own head (which cannabis can contribute to); and I found myself deep in the abyss. Now that I’m taking better care of myself and dealing with the causes of my problems, the cannabis works as a good medication. It’s all in how you use it. It also helps to have some support.

For me there's no single solution and each person will react differently. I think of cannabis and psilocybin as tools at my disposal. What I love about cannabis is the different strains can be used for what you need at that particular time. One may help lift my mood, another helps me slow down the barrage of shit flying around my head so I can sort it into important, dealt with, and discard the crap I don't need to be worrying about. The magic truffles have really helped me learn a lot about myself, how my mind works and given me different perspectives. I did cognitive behavioural therapy too which helped. So far I've stayed off prescription meds and I'm doing much better.

Back
Top Bottom