Cannabutter & the microwave

Greenlizard

So I recently stumbled upon an observation. We make cannabutter for homemade chocolates. We make our cannabutter in a crockpot on low for about 4.5 - 5 hours. Seems to produce a great product. However our more recent batches of chocolates seem "weak". We increased the butter amount in our recipe but still it doesn't seem to flatten you into the couch like it did on our first couple batches. We thought it was our own personal tolerance building quickly towards the edibles but we really don't eat a lot of them for it to change that quickly. Last night while my wife was making a batch of chocolates me and my bong did some thinking. Eureka! I think I discovered the issue. Previously we melted the butter into the already melted chocolate but recently we put the hard cannabutter from the fridge into the microwave for 10 seconds at a time, stirring in between. If you have ever melted butter for popcorn in the microwave you know that it does bubble around the edges while the center is still solid (hence the reason for stopping to stir). I stopped my wife in the process last night to tell her I believe the microwave is zapping our THC away. We then decided to shave the butter thin and fold it into the warm melted chocolate until all blended. Our test sample consists of licking the bowl and spoon lol. My wife was very high about an hour later. We both agreed the potency was compromised by the microwave method.
Has anyone else found this to be a factor when melting butter for recipes? Perhaps we are just crazy and it's no different than before but we think it does make a difference. Any insight is appreciated.

I plop the frozen 2 cups of canna butter (MBM) into the top of a double boiler with 8.5 oz TJ's baking chocolate, a handful of choc chips and a tsp+ of decarbed kief to rest on top of the butter cylinder. I slowly mix the kief into the butter until all is dissolved. The product, NYT Supernatural Brownies for the most part, is A+. No good reason to mike the butter IMHO.

I plop the frozen 2 cups of canna butter (MBM) into the top of a double boiler with 8.5 oz TJ's baking chocolate, a handful of choc chips and a tsp+ of decarbed kief to rest on top of the butter cylinder. I slowly mix the kief into the butter until all is dissolved. The product, NYT Supernatural Brownies for the most part, is A+. No good reason to mike the butter IMHO.

Sounds like you are using the Magic Butter Machine? I never used one. Do you recommend it?

It works well GL. I used to use the crockpot method. I give the MBM process 3 hours rather than 2 and use a robust colander to aid removing the canna butter from the remaining mess. 2.5 cups of Irish butter make 2 cups of canna butter when it's done. (A disability has removed much of my strength but with the MBM machine and what I grow I manage quite nicely.) Pax.

Back
Top Bottom