Cannateer Is Here!

cannateer

Hi, everyone. I've been picking up plenty of valuable info from this site as a guest. However, I'm five days into my grow now and I would love to begin sharing my adventure and knowledge with all of you fine cannateers!

All for bud and bud for all!

Ask me some questions on my setup.

:thanks::420:

Indoor or outdoor? Soil,soilless or hydroponics? Strain? Grow lights and the size of the room.

Indoor or outdoor? Soil,soilless or hydroponics? Strain? Grow lights and the size of the room.

Indoor three by four closet with RDWC. Using general organics, Advanced LED DS100, and the strain is pineapple chunk from bonzaseeds.

This being my first grow, I've decided to start slow and simple- KISS setup. I germinated one seed five days ago and it has grown fairly steadily since. I transplanted the seed from it's germination dome two days ago, placing the rockwool plug in the netpot with the recirculating tube trickling onto the side of the rockwool at about midway. I've tried to keep temps and PH within range. PH has stayed pretty steady at or below six and the res temp never above 70 (usually 68.5) with ambient temp at 75ish and RH at 50-60. Both the veg and bloom lights were turned on yesterday, making the seedling perk up a little. The light is just below 30'' and I've kept an eye on the leaves. I added three drops of cal/mag, a couple drops of rapid start and one drop of veg nutes just to introduce the plant to some trace amounts of nutes. I will add more cal/mag tonight and maybe some more rapid start.

I am running gas lantern light schedule, using mylar, two small fans and an external res for cooling. I actually have a decent method for cooling the res 4-5 degrees f with only the use of a metal bucket, two sponges, a small fan and some water. I will detail the how to and RESults sometime.

I am also using an RO filter.
Thanks for asking!

You arent utilizing that whole space with just the 100 are you because that is a really tall order to ask and have the yields but everything else seems really nice. At least add some cfl or something though for a quick fix.I have a 400 watt led and have 4 plants under them in square buckets. I can do 6 under it but I also have a 600 watt hps that I grow 6 under that. Your buds will be on the fluffy side due to lowlight conditions but everything else seems in order.

I actually anticipated that advice may come. Yes, I am aware of it and the room is actually closer to 2x3. A little over 40" by maybe 30". I plan to impliment a scrog if possible. We will see once I'm topping. If it comes along nicely, I will top a few times and be happy. If growth is dynomite, I may go scrog.

I was actually considering another ds100. Maybe during bloom I will pick it up. I absolutely cannot accept fluffy buds! Could I go with maybe a couple LED bulbs to supplement?

Thanks for the advice.

Edit: Would keeping one main bud site by not topping be a better option? Considering my underpowered light, maybe focusing on a single cola would be best. Yield is not as important as quality to me.

Here's the chunky girl with the ds100 reflecting off of my silicone net pot cover. After giving up finding one I ended up getting a silicone cake pan instead. Seems to work well and I don't think light will ever reach the res.

20140204_191336.jpg

What's more, the cover seems to do well to keep heat and tiny debris out of the res. It also does not quite touch the rim of the net pot, so heat and air can escape. I will eventually take a 3" neoprene net pot cover to cover the gap around the stem.

For what you have I would say for you to lollipop them which is exactly as it sounds the top is shaped like the sucker and underneath is bare because with the light the bottom wont be even worth smoking really so you want all of that energy diverted to the cola. It also promotes air movement down below which is great.

For what you have I would say for you to lollipop them which is exactly as it sounds the top is shaped like the sucker and underneath is bare because with the light the bottom wont be even worth smoking really so you want all of that energy diverted to the cola. It also promotes air movement down below which is great.

Yes, I'm aware of that method, but I have also read that there may be some flaws with it. I'm not speaking from experience, so don't be offended and think I am trying to teach anything. I read it causes stress on the plant, which in turn decreases growth and yield.

I could easily buy more lighting, heh. It's not such a dire situation. I got the ds100 because of the relatively small, rectangular space. If side lighting, or even a daisy chain of 100s is needed, it will be done.

Thanks for pointing out the weak spot in my grow.

I read a bit more on defoliation. I still think it may be something to try on my next girl. I read it takes healthy plants and a pat routine to really pull off. Even though I think I could probably succeed. I really like to take it slow, learn the plant and methods for myself, and then I can pick up extra methods. I like the idea of additional lighting, although I don't think I will do cfl. Not cleaning up a broken bulb. LEDs are much better in every way except maybe distance, which is not a huge deal.

Here is day three and she appears to be happy so far. Comparing with the photo from yesterday, the true leaves have outgrown the cotyledons. The seedling is about 2" tall. Maybe someone can let me know if it is stretching too much. I moved the light up a couple clicks yesterday, but I think I will leave untill I see the leaves flatten a bit. This is a good way to determine the correct height, no?

20140205_122134.jpg

20140204_191336.jpg

Yeah taking it slow is better. Defoliation doesnt hurt plants to much if you clip the nodes and leaves flush to the main stem so the wounds heal very fast. Lollipopping is massive defoliation but what you lose from defoliation you gain from the conservation of the plants energy plus the light will go exactly where you want it in that main dominant cola. You dont have to lollipop that is just 1 method. If you have the funds you could buy a tomatoe trelis and flip it uposide down and that will open the plant up to maximize the light you have.

Wow, I haven't seen or read about that. That's pretty intensely resourseful. It's the use of something with that specific design in mind, yet, you can flip it upside down and get the same use (albeit slightly different) on a completely different setup. That's like if you were able to flip a bike upside down and ride it on snow or something. Which gave me a few neat ideas to consider. Lol, thanks for that nugget. I may just try that.

It appears the true leaves are taking off and separating from the cotylydon leaves. Also, as you may notice from the images, one of the coty leaves is short and the other is almost twice the length. Thoughts?

I will take another pic tomorrow and it should show some real changes.

Back
Top Bottom