Cannot crack my seeds

Gyu84

Seeds are from a friend , not sure how old or anything else.
I know he's been growing for years and very good stuff.
This is my first grow, and I have tried to germinate these things with no success
Any input would help, I've let them float in water till hey drop
And paper towel them( nothing) I've soaked in slight hydrogen peroxide
Solution and then in a sugar solution (nothing) I've put them in a
Cube with 5.5 ph (nothing) , help!

how long ,ive had them in the ro water for 5 days

I've had old seeds that were no longer viable. Suggest you get them out of the water - they can drown.

Plant them in some dirt and keep them warm. They might pop. Keep expectations low though.

I would get a fresh seed/s, pop it in water for 24 hours and then plant directly into already watered substrate and don't do anything for at least 7 days. No digging around for it, no watering - just wait patiently...older seeds take longer to germinate. The fact that not one seed has cracked might indicate they are too old, but it is probably your technique that is not working....

Good luck

Seeds are from a friend , not sure how old or anything else.
I know he's been growing for years and very good stuff.
This is my first grow, and I have tried to germinate these things with no success
Any input would help, I've let them float in water till hey drop
And paper towel them( nothing) I've soaked in slight hydrogen peroxide
Solution and then in a sugar solution (nothing) I've put them in a
Cube with 5.5 ph (nothing) , help!

Bro I have never had issues popping seeds, the way I do it is get a small container layer the bottom with 3 plys of damp paper kitchen towels place the seeds on top then cover with another 3 damp kitchen towels then I place it on top off the sky box under TV where it is warm and within 24hrs they have popped, just make sure you place them somewhere warm, hope this helps

I had a few seeds I was going to toss this month and I tried something that I really don't recommend but it worked.

Almost all my seeds popped except a certain batch from a certain strain. When my seeds don't pop I usually destroy them and want to see their insides. I had one seed actually mold and that one was trash. I squeezed another and this white milky subtance leaked from the seed so I trashed that one too. The next one looked like a taproot stuck in the shell and I thought it should have been viable so decided to try something.

I took the rest of the seeds and used my finger nails to crack the seeds at its seam. I didn't break them in half or anything and I only applied pressure until I heard and felt them crack and put them back in To the wet paper towels. The next day 5 of the 6 I cracked had a tap root sticking out. If your going to trash the seeds its worth a try. I would recommend trying all other methods first because I do not want to be known as the ass who tells people to crack their seeds.

It's also possible they were immature seeds that were never going to sprout.

Anyway don't feel like you killed them by doing something wrong. I've been through this exact experience when I finally gave up and cracked them open, they were mush inside.

Please share the outcome.

I've lost a few seeds lately experimenting with different ways to germ..
Juan Carlos is right, at this stage, put them in soil and wait. Don't over water. Keep them warm.
I put my seeds straight into moist paper towels between two plates and leave on top of my fridge for the warmth. So far, that method works every time for me. Current grow seeds popped in 24-72 hours.

I think I managed to screw up every method under the sun until I just planted my seeds straight into coco and watered them. Leave them alone and 3 days of 24/0 or 4 days of 18/6 and I have a seedling. It's by far the easiest method and I have had 100% germination so far.

I had a few seeds I was going to toss this month and I tried something that I really don't recommend but it worked.

Almost all my seeds popped except a certain batch from a certain strain. When my seeds don't pop I usually destroy them and want to see their insides. I had one seed actually mold and that one was trash. I squeezed another and this white milky subtance leaked from the seed so I trashed that one too. The next one looked like a taproot stuck in the shell and I thought it should have been viable so decided to try something.

I took the rest of the seeds and used my finger nails to crack the seeds at its seam. I didn't break them in half or anything and I only applied pressure until I heard and felt them crack and put them back in To the wet paper towels. The next day 5 of the 6 I cracked had a tap root sticking out. If your going to trash the seeds its worth a try. I would recommend trying all other methods first because I do not want to be known as the ass who tells people to crack their seeds.

Ok, I tried this, held down seed with seem horizontal , the opposite of butt end of seed I pinched
The seed with a flat blade tweezer, they did pop with little pressure, one seed actually pop a sprout out,
The others didn't ,so I put in paper towel method, I will update!

Nice! Happy for you. I have a germination chamber. Jiffy 72 cell , w tray & w dome. I have a sweet VivoSun mat, and honestly I just drop a seed in the dirt water... And walk away. It's been 2 days now, still waiting for now

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Update: (1) not one has rooted (2) I've been researching germination (3) right now I'm trying 3 different techniques

This is what I tried, snap cracking to allow root to take in paper towel and plastic bag zipped.
Covered with two plates in warm place.
And two plates with paper towel non plastic bag
Some seeds forced cracked and some not.

Some how all these seeds are damaged because of storage in area of heat or cold that is the question?

I did physically open seed to look, seem to be intact with round spiral look a little yellow white looking.
Not dried up, I tried to up load pics but having issues.

Ok and yes the (3) technique was putting physically cracked and uncracked seed in moist soil, nothing yet .

I wouldn't be cracking seeds manually, if you mean you are doing it deliberately with tweezers or your fingernails or whatever..
Just let them sit in moist paper towels, keep them warm not hot... Going for humidity. Viable seeds will absorb water quickly, it's what they do.
If you have lots of seeds that won't germ, make sure the temps are good; if all that is fine, maybe you should contact the seedbank or breeder and complain about crap seeds.

Update: no go for any germination, with every technique mentioned. I did thirty seeds. I think that storage of these seeds where in extreme
Heat . All seed where mush, the ones in dirt are still there. With no results. I will give you info update once I find out how old and where where they where stored. I do know that where source lives they have extreme heat 100-125 f in summer .

Back
Top Bottom