Canobud's First Grow - The Widow

Haha...I got so busy doing the harvesting and washing I forgot to take some after pics. We cut them down and trimmed all the fan leaves off and hung them up. Pre-wash weight was 15.9oz from the two plants. No idea what that should dry out to. We put the scissor hash in one of our concentrate pens. The flavor surprised us a bit...very earthy, but with a slight burn taste as well.

Here they are just before the chop...running on fumes.

420-magazine-mobile1086871442.jpg

420-magazine-mobile162254157.jpg

420-magazine-mobile268840393.jpg

420-magazine-mobile173397706.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

So we cut them down Friday night and hung the buds in 55-65% humidity until Tuesday before trimming the sugar leaves down. The stems are close to dry; they feel very light and airy, but don't quite snap if you bend them. Smell is kind of like hay or grass along with the bud aroma, is this typical? I jarred about half and hung the rest back in a drying net. I have more jars arriving tomorrow, but I'm not certain if I'm jarring them too soon. I'm also putting Boveda 62% packs in the jars tomorrow. Anything different I should be doing?

420-magazine-mobile24017899.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1252638646.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1735424362.jpg

Just keep an eye on the humidity in your jars and open them a few times a day until they get to where you want em. That grassy/hay smell is normal and will go away as they cure. The ones i have had in jars for a few weeks smell heavenly. Almost out already but next harvest is right around the corner. About another 6 or 7 weeks.
If you grow these again, scrog em. They love it.

Sent from my LGLS990 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thanks Laz, glad to hear that. I do plan to open the jars a few times a day. I'm guessing the total yield will end up being around 5 ounces. Kind of thought two of these plants would put up more than that, but for a first attempt in a very cramped space, I'm not complaining. I'll be upgrading my lighting here soon for future grows in the new room.

Im wondering if this is just not a "big producing" strain. Most of their strain stats include a yield average but not the widow so maybe it a lower producer than some. Gonna see what i get out of this scrog and extra lighting this time. Im anxious to try out some of these new seeds i have anyway.

I'll do a final dry weight check in a week or so, but I'm guessing it will be 4.5 - 5oz from two soil-grown plants. Actual power draw from the LED is 220W but I did have about 100W of CFLs in the tent for most of the grow. I took them out for a bit when temps got a little warm. Tent space is very confined for two plants (2 x 2.5') so there's that. I kept nutrients to a minimum out of fear of burning them after some early signs of it. They basically got spring water only the last 3-4 weeks of flower. Lots of variables to consider.

The new plants in veg have acclimated well to being moved into the tent with the LED. From seed until the tent move (about six weeks) they'd only been under six CFLs. For the new room I'm considering a Budmaster COB-9 for flowering duties. Spendy but they have a strong reputation for results. I think I'll let plants veg longer since I'll have plenty of space too.

I'd love to one day get those forearm-sized torpedoes I see some folks here churning out...baby steps I guess!

Im trying for the baseball bat sized flowers lol. I have a way to go. I think you did very well for a first time effort and look forward to your next journal.

Well, looks like the dry haul will be...3.85oz. From two plants. While I'm happy I made it this far, I totally missed my expectations on yield.

I have two buds like the one on the right below that are a good bit darker at the top and smell a bit musty. Should I be concerned about these?

420-magazine-mobile1435881588.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1964854696.jpg

I could not tell you if those are a cause for concern. Musty would make me leary. Do they look like the have rot? Hoping someone else will chime in here as i dont want to steer you wrong. Sorry bout you not hitting your estimates/expectations. A successful first grow is an accomplishment in itself tho and your second will do better.
A quick search for identifying bud rot should give you a jumping off point to try and figure out if you need to worry.

Everything is jarred and curing with Boveda packs. We tested a small bit of bud in the Volcano tonight, starting at 370F and a bag later at 380F we are SPACE CADETS. So happy! Just need to let the batch continue curing to get past the jar of hay scent.

I owe a huge thank you to everyone that has followed and helped me get this far. I have a ton to learn, to be sure! Less than 4oz from two plants isn't going to cut it!

It might take a little longer with the brownish part creating more of that smell them the rest. My Winnie looked very similar for her harvest. It's been 3 weeks in the jars and it still smells somewhat like hay. If you break the nug up it smells better on the inside. But it is progressing toward a nice cured smell, and taste.

Enjoy the harvest canobud, :high-five: good job on the plants, whens the next attempt happening?

KiG :green_heart:cheers

It might take a little longer with the brownish part creating more of that smell them the rest. My Winnie looked very similar for her harvest. It's been 3 weeks in the jars and it still smells somewhat like hay. If you break the nug up it smells better on the inside. But it is progressing toward a nice cured smell, and taste.

Enjoy the harvest canobud, :high-five: good job on the plants, whens the next attempt happening?

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Thanks Snid! I appreciate your help on my first grow...2nd grow gets flipped to 12/12 next weekend!

Canobud's 2nd Grow - Liberty Haze & Critical Kush
Canobud's 2nd Grow - Liberty Haze & Critical Kush

Sent from my iPad using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

You can use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom